Notices

Tired and Down Most Days

Old 01-27-2018, 10:33 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Tired and Down Most Days

Hi all,

28 days dry after drinking
for around 15 years. I was drinking around 4 cans of cider 3 or 4 nights during the week and then getting hammered most weekends. I quit because the drinking was seriously affecting my job - far too many hangovers.

So I am 4 weeks in and feel much better physically, however I feel really down and seriously lack any motivation. I also feel tired most of the time. I could deal with this, however this is also affecting my work.

What I'd like to know is - is there light at the end of the tunnel? Will I get my motivation and energy levels back? Will my mood level out?

Any advice would be most welcome.

By the way, I've been on antidepressants for the last two years and would love to get off of them as I feel they don't work anymore but get really stressed around four weeks after quitting them.

Many thanks,

Andy

Last edited by OnwardsnUpwards; 01-27-2018 at 10:35 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 01-27-2018, 10:54 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I remember when I first quit that my moods were all over the place and I did feel unmotivated and sad at times. I just attributed it to my body recovering from the poisoning I inflicted on it for years. My moods have stabelized and I feel more motivated. As far as your anti depressants go....when you drink they cannot do what they are meant to do. So maybe that is why you are not seeing improvements. And you may also need them adjusted.
Old 01-27-2018, 10:55 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Andy and well done on your month sober. It took a while for things to get better for me mood wise....around 90-100 days. Try and stick it out. The experienced folk here on SR that have years of recovery will tell you that things get better but you need to be patient. As for the meds I don't have experience but maybe its worth talking to you GP to try a different one?
Best wishes.
Old 01-27-2018, 11:39 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Andy

I'm at 27 days and I know exactly how you are feeling. Except mine is worse! Well of course it is!
I found at about 80 days things started to get better for me energy wise previously.

I think that the slow recovery for energy, motivation and outlook is all brain chemistry where it has previously been used to being drenched in alcohol.

If it's affecting your work have a chat with the doctor see if he has anything to offer. Changing antidepressants is no quick fix but if what you have is not working it's deffo a chat with the doctor. Poss dosage.

I did a very slow taper from SSRI,s about a year ago prior to stoping drinking it was not fun but I got there in the end.

Be realistic and do one thing at a time.

Healthy eating balanced diet. Lots of water.
One step.at a time.
Best of luck
Old 01-27-2018, 12:01 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hello,

First, congrats on 28 days that is fantastic! It took s while for me to find my new normal as well. I found that going for walks, or to yoga helped me feel more energetic, even when I had to drag myself to get there.

I would definitely call your doctor about your antidepressant. Maybe they can adjust your medication to help with your moods. It might also help to see a therapist to talk about how you are feeling.
Old 01-27-2018, 05:04 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I was really tired in the beginning too. I found exercise to be very helpful, I started slowly with just yoga and then gradually increased as my health and stamina improved. Even just getting outside for a walk can do wonders.
Old 01-27-2018, 05:46 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Andy - welcome

My moods were pretty up and down initially too but I seemed to find a new constant around 90 days.

By all means speak to your Dr but I found antidepressants work a lot better without alcohol.

Are you on them now or did you stop?

D
Old 01-28-2018, 03:01 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Tired and Down Most Days

Thanks for all the positive input guys - really encouraging. I'm going to stay positive and focused on the long term, taking each day as it comes. I'm also going to implement some of your suggestions like exercise (I used to enjoy jogging a lot), good diet etc and of course visit this site regularly - its helpful to see that so many others have gone through this and stuck with it.

I'm still on the AP's but will take one thing at a time; perhaps as my body and mind recover I'll find them easier to come off.

Thanks again all.

Andy