Notices

Interesting Day 3

Old 01-27-2018, 07:42 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Interesting Day 3

Day 4 here.

Yesterday started with a visit to the doctor, different to my normal GP. I again outlined my concerns about my depression and that I feel numb on Citalopram and also that I was struggling with drinking and finding it hard to moderate. The drinking seemed to barely register with the doctor other than 'I think you should try and cut back for the sake of your mood'. This was the same chat as I've had previously with my GP. Have others found this? ive said I was drinking a bottle of wine a night and more at the weekend and he did not seem THAT concerned. Is this a UK thing? We have a very ingrained drinking culture here.

Last night was pretty tough and ended up going to bed about 9.30 as I was feeling pretty ill and unsettled. My mood feels better but physically feel quite rough. Stilll feel so much better than the hangover 2 bottles of wine would normally give me on a Saturday. Had a lie in and cleaned the house for my friend coming over. We were going out for dinner and drinks but she's now driving over to mine for takeaway instead.

Spoke to my OH when he got in last night about hitting rock bottom (again) and making a mistake during week that's led me to being on other meds. He was great with all of it and very supportive He said we've been here before though and after a few days normal habits come back so got to show him this time is different. I was very honest about what I need to do whereas previously I cried and blamed anything and everything else for my problems so hopefully he sees a difference.
Old 01-27-2018, 07:51 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It sounds like you are doing all the right things! You could always get a second opinion from another doctor, but I bet he was just trying not to be judgmental. That's his job, after all; I'm sure he hears that kind of thing all the time (especially given the drinking culture in the UK). If you don't feel like you got the info you need, you can always make another appointment and follow up?

I've been going to sleep early too. Nothing wrong with that!

Congrats on day 4!
Old 01-27-2018, 08:30 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks ProfessorD. Yea I think that was probably the case. I know what I need to do for now/ I can always go back again if need to find out more
Old 01-27-2018, 08:53 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi there.

I'm quite surprised at your doctor to be honest! This could end up a long post just so you can see the similarities.....

I was drinking a bottle of wine every night and suffering from horrible anxiety and dread. I was prescribed medication by my GP but just didn't want to take it....I didn't want to have to give up drinking basically.

After a few more months & a total meltdown I went on the medication. I stayed off the wine for a month but then gradually introduced it again, right back up to a bottle a night.

Finally, I took action and told my GP I drank a bottle of wine a night. I was immediately referred to an addiction counsellor. I live in the Midlands, I wonder if there is something similar in Glasgow you can insist on being referred to? The drinking makes the medication less effective. As soon as I stopped drinking (4 months ago) the anxiety was better, not gone but definitely better.

My medication is also citalopram. It is well known for blunting emotions. You can insist on changing medication if you don't like it. I've stuck with it as it has really helped me but the lack of emotion can be odd I know.

Oh and moderation doesn't work for people with alcohol issues. I tried, failed, then quit. It was bloody hard but so worth it.

Basically, get another GP or insist this one listens. Use my story if you have to, a good example of a GP taking me very seriously indeed.

Sorry if this sounds like a lecture!!
Old 01-27-2018, 08:55 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

When I reread what your GP said I want to travel up there and shake some sense into him!!!
Old 01-27-2018, 01:38 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hmmm. Well you're on day 4 so, while great, that's super duper early. And if you were drinking while taking the drug you mention, its hard to say how it was really affecting you, know what I mean? So being tired and down on day 4? Very normal, hang in there.

I wouldn't see a GP for depression. I also don't think most MD/GP are particularly well versed in alcoholism....or depression for that matter. Both really are mental illnesses. So I'd recommend a good counselor with experience in depression and addiction. Here in the US counselors often work in tandem with a psychiatrist so if meds are needed that person can write the prescriptions.

I truly believe it takes some time sober to figure out where your addiction ends and your true psychological conditions begin. That's just my opinion and experience for what its worth.
Old 01-27-2018, 02:06 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Frickaflip233 View Post
Hmmm. Well you're on day 4 so, while great, that's super duper early. And if you were drinking while taking the drug you mention, its hard to say how it was really affecting you, know what I mean? So being tired and down on day 4? Very normal, hang in there.

I wouldn't see a GP for depression. I also don't think most MD/GP are particularly well versed in alcoholism....or depression for that matter. Both really are mental illnesses. So I'd recommend a good counselor with experience in depression and addiction. Here in the US counselors often work in tandem with a psychiatrist so if meds are needed that person can write the prescriptions.

I truly believe it takes some time sober to figure out where your addiction ends and your true psychological conditions begin. That's just my opinion and experience for what its worth.
It's done via GP here in the UK. Agree they don't know about alcoholism but they should definitely refer you. Depression they should recognise but again just refer (apart from prescribing medication).

The secret is finding a good GP!!
Old 01-27-2018, 05:29 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I've seen here that many UK doctors downplay alcoholism - whether it's ignorance or a badly overstretched health service I dunno, nightswimming.

D
Old 01-27-2018, 06:25 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I'm disappointed that your doctor would tell you that, but not surprised. When my own GP told me that my liver enzymes were a little high, I told him that I had recently stopped drinking (that was at about 1 month in). He told me that was good, and that once my enzyme levels were down I could return to drinking in moderation.

Maybe I was feeling touchy that day, but it seemed like an incorrect response.
Old 01-27-2018, 06:29 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

congrats on four days!!! Kudos to you for being honest with your dr and OH. On to day five!
Old 01-28-2018, 03:50 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Dee, you can tell that this has really struck a nerve with me! I just don't think such GP apathy would be the case where I am

I've done a quick google search and there are alcohol support services in Glasgow. It looks like it is possible to self refer (in the UK GP referrals are usually needed). In which case, swerve the GP and go direct if you can't get a decent GP nightswimming.

https://www.glasgow.gov.uk/index.aspx?articleid=18063
Old 01-28-2018, 05:09 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Just dropping in to say thanks all and really interesting to hear your experiences and thoughts. Feels like I've been smacked with the fatigue stick today so hunkering down on the couch with some Netflix. Will try and drop back in later to post a longer reply.

Day 5 I've got you!