Notices

Early Recovery and SO Hungry!!

Old 01-26-2018, 10:30 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Early Recovery and SO Hungry!!

So I’ve always liked cooking, eating out and food in general (and thankfully I’m still somewhat within healthy weight range). But the last two days - days 4&5 of being alcohol free - I’ve been so dang hungry! I’m not looking for medical advice but wondering if anyone else experienced something similar. Thinking maybe I masked some of my hunger by drinking and the anxiety of being hungover?

Enjoying these clear mornings of being sober very much and staying committed each hour, each day. Just hoping I don’t gain a bunch of weight in the process! Fingers crossed this stage will pass.
Old 01-26-2018, 10:45 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yep...EAT!! I would maybe eat once a day when drinking. I cook and am pretty damn good, if I do say so myself, but I'd still only eat once then drink the rest of my calories/carbs. I gained a bit of weight in the 1st month or so,but not too bad. Now I'm working out,eating healthy,ect.. I even take those vitamin things now too! LOL
Old 01-26-2018, 11:47 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Just go with it. I craved sugar so badly at the start, that has pretty much settled down now.

Well done on day 5!
Old 01-26-2018, 11:50 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Oh yes! Isn’t it wonderful? All that chocolate and it’s less calories than the drink. Enjoy it!
Old 01-26-2018, 12:26 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Haha, if this is part of getting sober I’ll take it! I am just wondering what the heck is going on. Sorry I neglected my body or so long...and I stocked up on some vitamins and supplements too! Just gotta watch the chocolate stock 😉
Old 01-26-2018, 12:56 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I was the same! I barely ate when I was drinking and suddenly when I stopped I had an appetite again. In the first month, I didn't gain weight but didn't lose any either. I'm nearly at 5 months now, and in the last couple of months have really seen my weight drop. I don't weigh myself so I don't know how much exactly, but none of my clothes fit anymore. I was never very large but my shape was too much in the middle. Weight loss was never a specific goal for me but I have to say I'm enjoying the results!
Old 01-26-2018, 01:03 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Your body was used to all those alcohol calories, and now they aren't there, so you want to EAT!!! I remember the same thing, I was actually alarmed! But, my thinking was, hey, I'm not drinking, so heck, I'm going to EAT. And eat I did, gained a little weight at the outset, which was pretty scary to me, as my weight and I were not friends at the time, but I think in the third week or so, things evened out and in the next several months I dropped about 30 pounds without really making an effort. That slowed also, but by then I was feeling so good, I added a nice exercise regimen and the weight came off much easier than it ever had before.

Go with it- just another perk of early sobriety. Congrats on your 5 days!
Old 01-26-2018, 01:05 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Me too, I’m on day 6 and the past two days I could have eaten my desk. I am trying to keep to a healthy diet, it’s what I prefer anyway so not that hard with the exception of mass quantities of air popped popcorn. I have stocked up on seltzer water, sugar free popsicles and protein based foods. I may go exercise tonight..... that would be good!
Old 01-26-2018, 01:07 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kachal View Post
I was the same! I barely ate when I was drinking and suddenly when I stopped I had an appetite again. In the first month, I didn't gain weight but didn't lose any either. I'm nearly at 5 months now, and in the last couple of months have really seen my weight drop. I don't weigh myself so I don't know how much exactly, but none of my clothes fit anymore. I was never very large but my shape was too much in the middle. Weight loss was never a specific goal for me but I have to say I'm enjoying the results!
**I'm NOT advocating drinking...** The 'best' shape I was ever in,before sobriety/now, I would wake up,puke,workout for an hour to hour and a half,go get more beer..rinse/repeat..for 3mo I think? I was ripped! Then a friend commented at a pool party or something that I "look yellow"..I thought I was 'tan'..I cut back(white knuckled) for a while and then off to the races again.
Old 01-26-2018, 03:04 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I'm on day 11 and I feel very similar. Major cravings for sugar and carbs. Part of me get annoyed and the other part doesn't care because I'm not drinking. Hopefully things even out in a few days.
Old 01-26-2018, 03:12 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I was TOTALLY the same way! I would scarf and stuff my face, but always justified that at least it wasn’t alcohol 😊 Some nights I would keep eating seemingly try to fill a void for something which is apparently a craving. It’s gotten a lot better and I don’t crave sweets day in and day out but I do splurg on ice cream or cookies many nights
Old 01-26-2018, 04:13 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Shebeens View Post
the past two days I could have eaten my desk
Ok, this made me laugh Thank you for that!

Also, hope you got the exercise you wanted and congrats on your progress! Sounds like it'll even out at some point according to the wisdom of everyone else.

And thanks to all for helping me not feel so crazy for having a raging appetite!
Old 01-26-2018, 04:22 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I went thru the same thing, increased hunger. It's totally normal and it will even out with more sober time. As long as you're not eating too much junk food, I wouldn't worry about it.
Old 01-26-2018, 04:57 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Omg me too!!! I was eating MAYBE one meal a day and then a Mickey of whiskey and 1-2 bottles of wine a day. Now I am starving every 2 hours which never happened before. Not missing waiting for the liquor store to open and start drinking in the morning! Having breakfast instead like a normal person
Old 01-27-2018, 05:19 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I get it! When I was drinking I would never eat --I just wanted to get as drunk as possible and food just got in the way. When I went to rehab I craved food, embraced the 3 meals a day and snacks and kinda packed on a few pounds. It didn't matter, though--sobriety is the most important thing.
Over the past 2 years I've lost 45 pounds through cycling and yoga.
Congratulations on being alcohol-free, dizzybee--keep up the excellent work and don't worry if you gain a bit--with sobriety you're gaining a lot of wonderful things.
Old 01-27-2018, 06:14 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hi Dizzybee,
I am on day 9 and have been extra hungry since about day 3 when I could actually stomach food. I am thinking, but I don’t know, that it is because my body was used to that extra 1200-2000 cal of alcohol each day and now that’s gone. I am eating when I want, I plan to try to be more mindfull in a week or so when I’m stronger.
Old 01-27-2018, 06:15 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Rar

Around dinnertime I would start to get hungry, but instead of eating I would have another beer to fill me up. Madness!
Old 01-27-2018, 06:27 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

When I first got sober I ate whatever I wanted including loads of ice cream. The sweet tooth is very common! The way I looked at it is I had to use all my strength not taking a drink, why add another fight in the mix about food. I didn't lose/gain any weight for the first 6ish months, then I lost a couple sizes without any effort. Now at 1.5 years I do have to be mindful of what I eat in order not to regain.
Old 01-28-2018, 03:50 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Me too! stopped drinking 33 days ago. I went to the store bought everything; candy, steak, veggies, deli meats, fruits, ice cream, bread, to stock the fridge and ate what ever I wanted. Pies, pies pies...I have lost about 10 lbs too! It all tastes good, my stomach does not hurt now. I find a 20 minute light workout in the evening also help a great deal with relaxing and sleep. Oh, lots of fluids, water, diluted with lemon slices, and vitamins plus my meds for BP! Everything is better, my heart rate, breathing, skin and my liver enzymes came back normal too! Hang in there.
Old 01-28-2018, 12:32 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Today day 8 hunger is under control.... sorta.... I’m home alone, my dog is ignoring me, Netflix is on and I would in the past be drinking white wine. My AV voice is screaming at me so instead I am filling that craving with chocolate. It’s good I have a whole bag!!