Notices

Just Another Newbie - Seeking Sober Support & Inspiration

Old 01-26-2018, 08:24 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Just Another Newbie - Seeking Sober Support & Inspiration

Hello there, my name is: FurBabyMum.

41yr old female - Introvert (bit of a loner) from the United Kingdom and an alcohol addict.
Previously made it all the way to 14+ months sober, but gave in to peer pressure during the Christmas holidays!
My interests include: walking my fur babies, running, photography, gardening, nature, reading & writing, with a varied taste in music - love listening to a little bit of everything!

My new sobriety date: 25th January, 2018.

Your sober support and inspiration will be greatly appreciated!

Thank you,

FurBabyMum
Old 01-26-2018, 10:00 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi there, welcome to SR!

Wow, 14 months sober is an achievement! Kill that peer pressure

Plenty of advice & support on here, let us know what you need.

I'm in the UK too, quite a few of us on here. I'm a 44 year old mum of 2 young kids.
X
Old 01-26-2018, 10:30 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you for your reply and kind words...you're so right about killing off the peer pressure - I really beat myself up after caving in after 14 months, just to suit others. Lesson learned and time to move on from people that don't have my best interests at heart. It's also good to know that there's some pretty decent support here too...much appreciated! X
Old 01-26-2018, 11:15 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome! I'm a fur baby mom also.

I hope our support can help you get sober for good this time.
Old 01-26-2018, 12:12 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Wow

14 months is amazing! Well done to you and you know you can do it. I bet your body thanked you for it! I've drank for the past 20 years and would love to be free from it for that long .. hope to start on Monday after seeing the doctor as I've hit rock bottom... How did you feel once you had gone through withdrawal during your long giving-up period?
Old 01-26-2018, 01:08 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FurBabyMum View Post
Thank you for your reply and kind words...you're so right about killing off the peer pressure - I really beat myself up after caving in after 14 months, just to suit others. Lesson learned and time to move on from people that don't have my best interests at heart. It's also good to know that there's some pretty decent support here too...much appreciated! X
You've beat yourself up, so leave that in the past now (& those that prefer you to drink!) Join us back on the wagon!
Old 01-26-2018, 01:54 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hello Fur baby Mom.

I am a fur baby mom too. These thoughts appeared to me one night when I wanted when with my work buddy's on a Friday night!! Which one my friends want is going take care of me all weekend?? Nurse me back to health while I am passed out on the couch.
Any takers??
Congrats on 14 months and the beginning of your new journey.
Old 01-26-2018, 02:32 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Great to have you join us furbabymum - welcome

D
Old 01-26-2018, 03:48 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Rar

Welcome FurBabyMum.
Old 01-26-2018, 03:54 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you joined us!

You will find more than a few animal lovers here.

You know how to do this and having 14 months of sobriety is terrific. I know you will be able to get back to it.
Old 01-26-2018, 04:29 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I would say pour out any alcohol you have left, and dive head first into the hobbies you love. Alcohol will eventually steal all of your enjoyment. Don't let that happen.
Write here on the boards often, keep reaching out. Read other people`s posts and stick to what you know- alcohol is poison. You don't need to drink. You can do this
Old 01-26-2018, 05:37 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome! It's amazing that you're back on track already! Don't beat yourself up, just focus on today. It's sounds like you have great hobbies. I have only one fur baby but she is dear and a great inspiration to stay sober
Old 01-27-2018, 04:14 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
Welcome! I'm a fur baby mom also.

I hope our support can help you get sober for good this time.
Hi and thank you so much!
Fur babies are simply the best - mine are my entire world! (No kids, as you can probably tell?!)
Currently on day 3 and previously this would have been the worst detox day for me personally, but this time I'm much more determined - especially knowing how great it feels past the 3 - 5 months stage.
I know it CAN be done! x
Old 01-27-2018, 04:30 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by yellowmaisey View Post
14 months is amazing! Well done to you and you know you can do it. I bet your body thanked you for it! I've drank for the past 20 years and would love to be free from it for that long .. hope to start on Monday after seeing the doctor as I've hit rock bottom... How did you feel once you had gone through withdrawal during your long giving-up period?
Thank you very much!
I really began to notice the difference after the first 3 months.
Broken sleep was a major issue for me, while drinking. Don't think I was even getting a solid 2 hrs on any given night and quite honestly, I was a miserable wreck most days! I pretty much felt rock bottom too and couldn't see a way out. You're absolutely doing the right thing by seeing your Doc on Monday. I was too much of a coward to ask for some much needed help last time around. Month 5 of freedom from alcohol was the turning point for me...less anxiety, I even started driving my car again - which had been abandoned for a very long time! Also having two young puppies kept me active and outdoors, rain or shine. My appearance changed, I looked fresher and younger - which at age 41 was much appreciated! I was enjoying nature more and being outside working in my garden. My eyesight improved - everything seemed so much brighter and more beautiful/colourful. No more blurry vision! I could go on and on with the benefits of long term abstinence, but I'll be here typing all day! Best of luck to you for Monday...the only way is up from here! x
Old 01-27-2018, 04:40 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by faith823 View Post
Hello Fur baby Mom.

I am a fur baby mom too. These thoughts appeared to me one night when I wanted when with my work buddy's on a Friday night!! Which one my friends want is going take care of me all weekend?? Nurse me back to health while I am passed out on the couch.
Any takers??
Congrats on 14 months and the beginning of your new journey.
Hi, thank you for your reply - fur baby Mums unite!
You're completely right about the friends situation...I've since had a major friend detox too - it's the only way forward! I'd rather be alone, sober and happy, than with toxic people that enjoy watching you take a major fall for their own entertainment! Been there, done that, bought the last ever 'hangover' T-shirt! x
Old 01-27-2018, 04:47 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
I'm glad you joined us!

You will find more than a few animal lovers here.

You know how to do this and having 14 months of sobriety is terrific. I know you will be able to get back to it.
Thank you so much!
Already loving the human warmth and animal friendliness in here...this is going to be a great place for me to hang out!
On day 3 already and the detox time just seems to be flying past...in a way, it's good to know what to expect from the previous time and knowing that life is so much more exciting while sober. x
Old 01-27-2018, 04:51 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GirlScreaming View Post
I would say pour out any alcohol you have left, and dive head first into the hobbies you love. Alcohol will eventually steal all of your enjoyment. Don't let that happen.
Write here on the boards often, keep reaching out. Read other people`s posts and stick to what you know- alcohol is poison. You don't need to drink. You can do this
Hi there!
You've pretty much written everything that I've done and am currently planning on doing - so...thank you very much! Wise words indeed... x
Old 01-27-2018, 04:55 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ProfessorD View Post
Welcome! It's amazing that you're back on track already! Don't beat yourself up, just focus on today. It's sounds like you have great hobbies. I have only one fur baby but she is dear and a great inspiration to stay sober
Hello and thank you!
Hobbies, activity, and fur babies are the answer...have you noticed how our fur babies sense when we're having a bad day? They're truly the best! x
Old 01-27-2018, 05:02 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Hello FurBabyMum, I'll come straight to the point. What is a FurBaby?
Old 01-27-2018, 05:14 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR😀 I’ve found this community has been really helpful in getting me sober again. Best of luck on your journey!