Notices

Recovery Group

Old 01-25-2018, 05:41 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Recovery Group

Hi all
I have been going to recovery group for a couple of weeks now. Popping in, having coffee and just generally mingling. Today I joined in my first group. I will never be able to say that again.
It was about loss. Quite daunting for some in there. They were visibly apprehensive.
There is clean loss and dirty loss. Clean loss is your initial absolutely out of your hands loss that is "normal" and everyone suffers.
Dirty loss is the bad reaction how clean loss is dealt with and compounds the initial loss with unnecessary and even worse loss.
The outcome is "Acceptance" in whatever form and however long it takes to accept the clean loss without compounding it.
Learn to accept these things and it may help your recovery.
All the best
Dave
Old 01-25-2018, 05:51 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I believe acceptance to be the foundation of serenity. It sounds like you received valuable guidance.
Old 01-25-2018, 05:54 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Frickaflip
It is a good call to attend group. I shall go regularly.
It's educational and fun.
Old 01-25-2018, 11:42 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Glad the group is helping you. Sounds kinda like the serenity prayer. I feel pretty solid in my recovery,but lately something feels 'missing', so I'm going back to my morning AA meeting starting tomorrow. It was always a nice positive way to get my day started,chat with like 'minded' folks and clear my head for an hour. Keep going!
Old 01-25-2018, 04:40 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I have to learn to breathe, calm down and listen in the group as I get a tad overbearing or so I thought. They are trying to get me involved. I know it's good but I have reservations. They keep nudging me in the nicest way. I've already accepted that attending recovery centre is gonna be for the foreseeable future but I just like popping in having a chat/coffee then off doing my chores Ha. Still a rebel.....Thanks for reply...
Old 01-25-2018, 05:12 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome Rockfish,

Going to meetings/groups have taught me so many valuable characteristics. Early in recovery I saw there was hope. I learned acceptance and surrender. I learned tolerance and patience. I learned to be quiet and listen. I also learned Rule 62.

Two years later, I still go to meetings to stay connected and learn from others. I used to get spun up a little at meetings having to listen to drunkalogs, personal problems, or other non-drinking problem people want to air to total strangers. Now I can listen to their story and take something from it that might help me. I would suggest go to a bunch of different meetings and find the ones you feel most comfortable.

good luck
Old 01-26-2018, 01:10 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi D4T

I had that feeling this morning that I'd said too much and am guilty of all group sins.
However everyone was kind, people were very nice afterwards and next week the topic changes.
I will never stop going to recovery group.
Thanks for your help
Dave
Old 01-26-2018, 08:38 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Rockfish75 View Post
Hi D4T

I had that feeling this morning that I'd said too much and am guilty of all group sins.
However everyone was kind, people were very nice afterwards and next week the topic changes.
I will never stop going to recovery group.
Thanks for your help
Dave
Awesome..I'm heading to my meeting soon. There's some 'old timers' (30+yrs sober) I'm hoping to see. These guys ramble and ramble,but I love it! In their 'rambles' they do drop some knowledge bombs without me even noticing at first. Throughout the day as I reflect on the meeting I'll be like "Ohhhh...that's what he/they were talking about."..Pretty crazy thing...knowledge. I mean, I wouldn't try to fix a sink,car,toilet,ect..without knowing how,so why not listen to someone with 30+yrs experience in the 'field',ya know?
Old 01-26-2018, 01:18 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi DR
I pop in the centre just to have quick chat/coffee with the old timers
Their experience is invaluable.
Also the one chap today. I really get on with can get me fresh honey straight from the honeycomb ..I can't wait
Haha