Notices

I guess the fact that i'm here means i should be here!

Old 11-01-2004, 09:48 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I guess the fact that i'm here means i should be here!

Hi I'm not sure if i'm meant to be here but the fact that i'm here answers my question! Does that make sense?
I've been wondering if i'm an alcoholicfor a few years now.
The fact that I have chosen to work the night shift to stop me drinking says i have a problem.
I know if I work 9-5 i'll have opened a bottle of wine by 7, I may not finish it but i'll open it. Some times its only a bottle of beer but it'll be everynight.
I dont crave a drink. Never have done but that doesnt stop me havin one.
Its bordom most of the time.
So like I said i work the night shift now and it really doesnt bother me not drinking for the working week so why is it come the weekend I have to have a drink?
I dont think i drink alot. I'll have a bottle of wine maybe a bottle and a half but then its bed.
I think its all in my head.
Fu
Old 11-01-2004, 09:59 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I heard someone say that if you think you are, then you are. That's up to you to decide or come to know, though. I know that alcoholism / addiction is a progressive disease and that the only way forward is down. But there is help! Being sober IS the softer, easier way. I wish you luck on your jouney, Fu. Welcome to SR.

jojo
Old 11-01-2004, 11:32 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Fu Man Chu
Some times its only a bottle of beer but it'll be everynight.
This statement got me. I think you are in the early stages, be careful you're playing with fire. Stopping now will be easier than in 10 years when it will be only a 12 pack a night.

-Kauai
Old 11-02-2004, 09:51 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by kauai_diver
This statement got me. I think you are in the early stages, be careful you're playing with fire. Stopping now will be easier than in 10 years when it will be only a 12 pack a night.
Got to me, too.

I used to pick up a six pack and make it last all week. Over time, one beer a night became 2, then two became six.

Then something snapped. All of a sudden I found that I couldn't stop once the six pack was empty and found myself running to the store for 6 more. Easy way to solve that, though, start buying 12 packs! That worked out fine for several years, with no serious consequences, until about two years ago.

A little extra stress in my life, and suddenly the 12 pack wasn't enough to get through the night. Once again, easy answer! Just buy cases! For about the past year and a half, I've made darn sure to have that case finished off within a 24 hour period. Every day.

I really can't pick out the point where I transitioned from "drinking too much" to "alcoholic", but I suspect that it was a lot earlier than I would ever guess. I do know that the line was crossed a LONG time before I ever became willing to consider the idea, much less admit it.

I'm only on my third day sober, so I'm not one to offer advice on recovery, but I feel perfectly qualified to teach a college level course entitled "How to become an alcoholic". Playing with fire? You bet. By the time you realize that you have an addiction, you'll have already been firmly within its grasp for quite some time.

But that's just me, and the path that I travelled. I'm not qualified to tell you what path you may be on, Fu.
Old 11-02-2004, 10:33 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Chy

There are problem drinkers, heavy drinkers and then alcoholics. You have to decide where you fit, and that's okay. Like you said, the fact your here, could indicate something worth looking into. There's a great book called the Big Book of Alcoholics Anonymous, read the first 164 pages, and you'll know where you fit in. You can find it here online in the AA forum undere Jay's power posts.

We're glad your here, it's the right step, seeking answers and a possible solution.
Old 11-02-2004, 01:49 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Learning To Let It Be

I'm born and bred NA but can tell you this from our Basic Text (not verbatim) - 'It doesn't matter how much we used but our reaction to drugs that makes us addicts.'

Not for nothing but alcohol is a drug. We are all addicts regardless of how we like to classify ourselves. A drug is a drug is a drug.

Get honest with yourself, decide for yourself if you want to live a life without the use of any mind or mood altering substance - one day at a time. Decide for yourself if you want what we have to offer. Decide for yourself if you want the gift of recovery or if you'd rather go on to the bitter ends of jails, institutons, and death. The choice is yours but since you've made it here, I'd say you already know.

'Let it be.'

One life you got to do what you should...