Notices

Day 3 and worried

Old 01-24-2018, 06:25 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 3 and worried

I haven't made it through a Day 3 in 3 years.
I need to go grocery shopping, but I'm scared I'll buy alcohol, so I'm just sitting in the parking lot with a massive headache trying to figure this out.
I don't want to drink. I've felt more clarity in the past 2 days than I have for awhile.
I have a doctor's appointment tomorrow, and I still want to be able to say I've been sober 4 days.

Still, I've said a million times before that I don't want to drink or I WONT drink, only to be well buzzed an hour later... :/

Tips on how to shop and not slip?
Old 01-24-2018, 06:35 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You can do it.

You need food. Don't touch the alcohol bottles. Put up a shield between them and your fingers. They are nothing but poison and pain.
Old 01-24-2018, 07:21 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

RESIST. Every time you beat that urge, you get stronger. Expect you will be tempted and plan to win and expect to get stronger.
Old 01-24-2018, 07:27 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I used to race past the wine and beer aisle at the supermarket and just not look. It helped. Is it possible for you to shop in a different area or a different store? That might help too.
Old 01-24-2018, 07:28 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you both <3

I texted my best friend and let her know I gave up alcohol on Sunday. She was really supportive and happy for me. It gave me the extra push I needed to resist. Shopping is done, and no alcohol was purchased!

I love this group. I'm so happy to have found this forum.
Old 01-24-2018, 07:34 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
SWB

You want this and you can do it.
Old 01-24-2018, 08:03 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Nicely done! I stick close to SR the first few days, and also made a plan to do someththe no, anything else at the time I would normally have a glass of wine. Have you checked out the thread in recovery plans? It is a good one?

Also, congratulations on three days!!!!
Old 01-24-2018, 09:48 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

The first 4 days were the toughest for me. It'll feel great to be able to say that to yourself and your doc. Nice job on skipping the booze aisle. Waste of money and time.
Old 01-24-2018, 10:09 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Just keep putting one hour in front of the other. Visualize that every moment your body goes without alcohol, cells are regenerating. your liver is cleansing you of toxins, and your body is getting healthier and stronger.

I found it really helped to fight cravings to go through the ritual of making a cup of hot tea. Add sugar. Cradle the warm mug in your hands. So much of drinking alcohol is the routine of it. Replace that routine with something good for you!

You want a better life, and you can have it. You can do it! You have the power.

Good for you for recognizing you were in trouble before you went in the store and texting a friend and posting here! You are on the right track!
Old 01-24-2018, 10:18 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Great job, GS! Keep it up. These are some of the most difficult days. Get through them and you will be forever thankful. One tip on going shopping - leave your ID at home or in the car. It just adds one more impediment to buying booze. It gets easier! And better! And more satisfying! Lots of support to you.
Old 01-24-2018, 10:20 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Congrats on continuing the streak. For me it's driving by the liquor stores (in our state there's no > 3.2% beer or wine sold in grocery stores) and recalling the most vile, disgusting seventh-circle-of-hell hangover I can think of and the feelings around that. Self talk for sure, but experiencing the emotion associated with the nasty aftermath always seems to help.

Keep up the good work
Old 01-24-2018, 11:00 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi girl. Good job on managing the craving.

Grocery shopping was very very hard for me, major trigger. I suggest avoiding it at all costs right now. Next time you go maybe that friend can go with you. Then stock up as much as possible so you don't have to go back for awhile.
One time Day 5 I remember posting here while I was crying in the parking lot. I would get dizzy getting bread because it was near the wine aisle. I switched stores for awhile, less chance of "autopilot" to my wine of choice. I also drove a different route home, less likely to make a quick stop. Now 1.5 years sober the wine aisle doesn't bother me.

Keep posting here, it helps so much.!
Old 01-24-2018, 11:13 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Woohoo, GS!!! Day 3 and success beating that urge!! I'm still with you...Day 3 myself. Let's keep counting in solidarity!
Old 01-24-2018, 11:21 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Congrats on 3 days. To get you through maybe a milkshake before you go into the grocery store? That will help with the craving with the first week.
Old 01-24-2018, 11:26 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

great job getting groceries with no alcohol...I stay away from the aisles with alcohol...still
Old 01-24-2018, 12:39 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

Great going GS

D