Notices

Feeling good

Old 01-24-2018, 01:14 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Feeling good

I'm on day 29 ..And I have to say I never felt better ...I'm content in myself for the first time in years ...I read all your posts and it's a big major help to me 💜
I can honestly say I don't miss drinking ...
I'm a better person in myself ...A better mum and wife .....but I'm waiting for the crash????? The feeling that alot of people talk about ...where you really really desperately want a drink ...😫
I have two family weddings coming up first on Easter Tuesday ...a tiny part of me is scared as in thinking how am I gonna get through the day where everyone will be having a drink an I won't ....but then I think we'll I'll be the lucky one I can control what time I go to bed ...we are staying over ....I won't have a hangover ...an feel like s..t the next day ....I think it's all about positive thinking ....all the weddings I've attended in the past I'd been so drunk at an I look back an shudder ...
Guess what I'm saying is I like this new me more an more everyday ....She's a stranger to me but a great girl with guts to overcome the demon drink ...early days I know but I'm feeling good
Much love all
Carol x
Old 01-24-2018, 05:14 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Hi Carol. My sponsor used to say "make hay while the sun shines".

Many of us get a spell like this at the start. Some call it the pink cloud, but I am more inclined to believe it is a free sample of what it is like living in God's grace. Some say it always ends in a crash, but in my experience it is possible to make it permanent if I use the time wisely.

It can be a window of opportunity. What better time to do the work of recovery than when you a feeling good. Unfortunately the windw doesn't stay open indefinitely, and if you are an alcholic of my type, it is only a matter of time before the obsession comes back.

Why not make some hay while the going is good, and lock in that good feeling?
Old 01-24-2018, 05:40 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Who knows what will happen on any given day. Today is all that counts. I know there will be times when I want to drink, that is normal and expected. Rather than push it away, ignore it, avoid, I accept it. Just because I have a few moments of desire (because I am addict after all and drank for a long time) doesn't mean I have to drink. Just because I think it, doesn't make it fact.

I don't dwell on a thought or a craving, I acknowledge it, firmly commit to not drinking and move on to something else. All feelings/thoughts pass....good and bad. Just how it seems to be. Congrats on 29 days!
Old 01-24-2018, 09:05 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Congrats on day 29!

I have a wedding and the stag and doe party coming up. I have offered to help out with both, that way I have a job to do and won't be drinking.

When I went away over Christmas, this is funny, but I had just finished reading a lot of information on kindling and just finished reading a couple of University papers written on addiction from University hospitals here in Canada - my greatest fear was, what if I get drunk and end up with DT's or similar at my in-laws place. I've never had them, but they scare me! So I have that tucked away in my recovery plan and what to say when urges hit sounds silly, but if that were to happen, there is a great chance I will be with my kids, or what if I have a seizure and poop myself and I'm at my in-laws? Pretty much scares me straight! It worked, despite free booze on the plane, I managed a 2 hour delay, an additional 2 hours on the tarmac at a stop where we didn't get off the plane and the loss of a piece of my luggage! I wasn't smiling getting out of the airport, but I sure as heck wasn't drunk!
Old 01-24-2018, 01:00 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats on day 29 Carol

Try not to worry too much about events in the future just now...like others have said, focus on today for now

D
Old 01-24-2018, 01:08 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Great job on 29 days Carol 👍

I'm on 241 days and I still feel positive and focused. My approach has been less about 'not drinking' and more about 'embracing sobriety' and I think that frame of mind makes a big difference. I say relish in the positivity you are experiencing and don't spend it dwelling on the absence of difficulties. Wishing you well on the rest of your recovery journey 💜
Old 01-24-2018, 01:40 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

You're doing an amazing job, Carol!
The weddings will definitely be difficult. Make a plan ahead of time and maybe even a list of reasons you don't want to drink and positive things you feel about being sober, keep it in your purse to look at in case you have a weak moment.

You can totally do this!