The Second Agreement

Old 01-23-2018, 04:28 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The Second Agreement

The Second Agreement: Don’t Take Anything Personally

https://psychcentral.com/blog/the-se...ng-personally/

Don’t take anything personally.

That’s the second agreement of Don Miguel Ruiz’s classic, “The Four Agreements."

I need a reminder today. So I open his book to that chapter and read:

"Whatever happens around you, don’t take it personally… Nothing other people do is because of you. It is because of themselves. All people live in their own dream, in their own mind; they are in a completely different world from the one we live in. When we take something personally, we make the assumption that they know what is in our world, and we try to impose our world on their world.

Even when a situation seems so personal, even if others insult you directly, it has nothing to do with you. What they say, what they do, and the opinions they give are according to the agreements they have in their own minds…Taking things personally makes you easy prey for these predators, the black magicians. They can hook you easily with one little opinion and feed you whatever poison they want, and because you take it personally, you eat it up….

But if you do not take it personally, you are immune in the middle of hell. Immunity in the middle of hell is the gift of this agreement."
Old 01-23-2018, 05:12 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thank you for posting! I finished This book yesterday and it was perfectly timed to help me handle a very difficult situation today. God bless!
Old 01-23-2018, 05:48 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you!
I gotta read the Four Agreements.
Old 01-24-2018, 08:39 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I've used it's principals for years even before ever entering recovery - it's a cornerstone book in my library & we also keep copies at work to share out to clients & associates. I have the agreements posted in my kitchen, along with Brene Brown's manifestos.

I struggled with this agreement the most, for the longest. It took me years to "get there" with this concept - that I could be so personally offended & yet, it not Be Personal.

GREAT topic!
Old 01-24-2018, 01:44 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

After you read enough posts on SR it's pretty easy to see how predictable alcoholic behavior is. It's not directed at me, it's just what they say and do.