Notices

So here I am day 7........

Old 01-23-2018, 08:15 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

So here I am day 7........

Hello,

I don't think of myself as an alcoholic, but I knew my drinking was out of control. I was consuming 2 1/2 1.75L bottles of vodka a week along with apple pucker. 3-4 big martinis a night. I was honest with my primary care during my physical in December. She spoke with me about the risks I was putting myself at with this amount of drinking. I thought she was overreacting. I mean come on I only have 3 maybe 4 drinks a night (in a 3 hour period). It helped me sleep. I never drink during the day but eagerly waited for 4:30 to start. That was my rule.

Wednesday I awoke feeling like crap as usual. My hair was starting to look very dry, my skin was dry, my face it's usual puffy red self. I went through my morning routine and went off to work. I was feeling particularly hung over that morning. I was experiencing stomach pain that was causing me not to be able to eat normally. I had an EGD and all they found was gastritis.

I work out 3-4 times a week but have noticed they have not been as effective as they once were. I don't know what blazed through my brain last Wednesday but I decided to join WW and quit drinking. I went home that night and was alcohol free (constantly in my mind though). For the past 6 days, I have kept myself busy so as not to succumb to giving in and having a drink. I have to be honest, it has not been that hard. I downloaded an app for my phone that gives me a motivational quote daily along with a large number showing how many days I have been alcohol free.

So here I am on day 7. My face is no longer red and the puffiness has gone away. I am starting to see my cheekbones . I am eating healthy, my stomach pain has gone away. The first night I had a lot of trouble sleeping, each night since has been getting better.

I was kidding myself to think that I was ok, I was heading down a bad path. Anyway, I found this site and have been reading many of your posts, some very similar to mine in regards to being highly functional. I am taking this one day at a time, I am proud each morning when I wake up with a clear head.

Dianne

Last edited by soberme2018; 01-23-2018 at 08:17 AM. Reason: grammer
Old 01-23-2018, 08:23 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

7 days is awesome! And welcome! Early recovery is no cakewalk. Best wishes for you on your journey.
Old 01-23-2018, 09:37 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hey Dianne
Welcome. 7 days is fantastic!

I don't think of myself as an alcoholic, but I knew my drinking was out of control. I was consuming 2 1/2 1.75L bottles of vodka a week along with apple pucker. 3-4 big martinis a night.

So if I'm doing the math right (and I could be wrong here) 2 1/2 1.75L of vodka is about 145ish ounces of vodka (not including the pucker stuff). 145 ounces divided by 7 is just shy of 21 oz a day. Divided by 1.5 oz, which is a 'standard drink (I hated 'standard' drinks...) is shy of 14 drinks a night. So they was some big azz martini's...even by my standards. You are very lucky you don't have some severe health problems. Also very lucky you didn't have a helluva withdrawal.

You are in the right place and I hope you stick around. BTW I was a big vodka drinker too! I relate.
Old 01-23-2018, 10:13 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Dianne,

WELCOME!

I'm not trying to be snarky, but I think the definition of being an alcoholic is that your drinking is out of control. I think you were already pretty much down the path.

Anyway. I'm a newbie too. Day 12 for me. I'm not gonna try to "white knuckle" my way sober this time. I'm rolling up my sleeves and doing the really, really hard work.

I'm happy we'll be doing this together.
Old 01-23-2018, 02:50 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tomls View Post
7 days is awesome! And welcome! Early recovery is no cakewalk. Best wishes for you on your journey.
Thank you!
Old 01-23-2018, 03:08 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome to SR and congrats on your week soberme2018