Notices

Finding emotional triggers now what?

Old 01-22-2018, 06:29 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Finding emotional triggers now what?

I知 finding emotional triggers to my reasons I turn to alcohol. Obviously I can稚 avoid emotions, so I知 trying to learn to deal with them in new ways. The one that is resurfacing that I知 having issues in knowing how to handle is anger/annoyance. I have to remove myself from situations and breathing because I feel like lipping off like a sailor, which is so not like me, but when I return those situations are still there and again I don稚 want to start cussing all over the place.

The last two days I知 being impatient and touchy. Overly sensitive and defensive.

Has any body found a good way to handle these in the moment?
Old 01-22-2018, 06:34 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I would say don't bottle it in (No pun intended). Feel it and express it. Not, "You make me angry" but, "I feel angry". You choose how you react to other people.
Old 01-22-2018, 06:36 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi readygo

first off, this is completely normal - it will get better.

I found gratitude lists were a help - sure, some days you may not feel like listing all the thing you're grateful for, but it usually puts the anger irritability and annoyances into perspective

D

D
Old 01-22-2018, 06:36 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

There is plenty about this in the AA program. We recognise particularly that anger is a very dangerous emotion for us. From the bottom of page 66, if you have a copy. There is more in later steps. One thing that helped me the most at the start was step 10 , which suggests we clean up any new mistakes as we go along.

I found it much easier to immediately admit when I am wrong and get it out of the way, than to let it fester for a few days. Keeping my side of the street clean takes a lot of pressure out of the picture.