Notices

Thank you for making me feel not alone

Old 01-21-2018, 02:53 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Thank you for making me feel not alone

I really appreciate this site and the people on here. I don’t go to AA and I don’t really have close friends at the moment. Not that I would have a huge amount of time for them as I’m a full time mom and figuring out this whole new way of life for me. No one in my life really knows about my desire to stay away from alcohol as I could see the path it was heading. Between my mom And husband when I’ve mentioned how i want to take a break, they think why? And don’t think I need to long term.

The fact is if I’m honest with myself I don’t know if I was abusing or a full blown alcoholic as the line is almost invisible, but I knew I was waking up at 4:30 In the morning wondering if I drank too much since I was drinking a bottle of wine each night. I didnt always need to every night and I didn’t avoid doing things if I couldn’t drink but the way I was justifying each glass was concerning. I had come on this site months ago and read quite a few posts so my plan unconsciously had begun because of what people said on here.

This site has been a literal lifeline. I’ve taken advice, ordered suggested books, finished Drinking:A love story (amazing read!!) read other posts (haven’t responded to many because I feel I’m too early in recovery to offer advice), and felt a connection, encouragement and company here.

Thank you, you are all providing motivation and light at the end of my tunnel. This is the longest I’ve been sober with the exception of when I’ve been pregnant, which I have looked forward to that drink in the hospital 🤦🏻*♀️

I credit a huge amount to this site and all of you.
Old 01-21-2018, 03:00 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

I joined this site 5 years ago when I quit drinking and it has been very instrumental in my own recovery too. SR is definitely a very cool, supportive place.
I am so glad that you are here with us
Old 01-21-2018, 03:05 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

That's how I've always felt too - I had no one in my life who understood. Being a problem drinker can easily turn into dependency - that's what happened to me over the years. You were wise to take action. We're so glad to have you with us, Readygo.
Old 01-21-2018, 03:19 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I love this site too.
Old 01-21-2018, 03:33 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I love it here, too, and Caroline Knapp's book gave me courage to believe in myself. You're right that the line is invisible. And, it's good to remember that alcoholism is a progressive disease and it will get worse unless you stop.

I'm glad you are finding the support you need.