Notices

Mexico in a week

Old 01-21-2018, 09:00 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Mexico in a week

My wife and I are off to Mexico next Saturday. I dragged my feet, dragged my feet, acted like I didn't like any of the resorts, tried getting her to go to other places, procrastinated, did what I could short of saying no, to get out of it. She's had a tough year at work and frankly deserves a holiday. Im ok right now, however I'm sure the anxiety will increase in the coming days. My question is, if I do the same thing there that I'm doing at home, I should have minimal issues. Alcohol is just as easy to get here as it is there. I actually am not really worried too much, about it. Is there anybody that has kind of the same experience, or some advice. Thanks guys.
Old 01-21-2018, 09:22 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

I have to plan activities in advance. If I get up and I know I am going kayaking at 10, I prepare accordingly. If I get up and I don't know what I'm doing that day, my AV has all kinds of suggestions for me.

Enjoy Mexico!
Old 01-21-2018, 09:46 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Ya. I suggested that we spend a little extra pesos and do a lot of sightseeing. I do want to spend a couple days of vegging on the beach or poolside that’s why people go there. Lol. But I do need to stay busy or my AV will have suggestions too. Stupid AV
Old 01-21-2018, 09:51 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by Canuckleman45 View Post
My question is, if I do the same thing there that I'm doing at home, I should have minimal issues. Alcohol is just as easy to get here as it is there.
Has the "same thing" you are doing at home been keeping you sober? I recall you've struggled a lot at home, so you could assume you have the same potential to struggle on vacation, perhaps more, since the temptation to have one last "fling" with alcohol could be strong.

You mentioned in an earlier post that your wife is joining you in quitting. Will that be the case in Mexico?
Old 01-21-2018, 09:54 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

My husband and I went to Mexico for my 40th birthday in October. I was also worried, but it ended up being okay. I read a lot and went for runs on the beach.

As you said - getting alcohol is just as easy to get there as it is at home. Think of it as continuing to stay sober but with a better view. Best of luck :-)
Old 01-21-2018, 10:22 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Carl. I’m not 100% sober. I’ve had a couple relapses however I’m no where close to where I was 3 months ago. Canadian thanksgiving was my rock bottom and I have to live with that the rest of my life. That weekend is what keeps me on this path I’m on. It might not be what others do to achieve sobriety, but it’s sure helping me. When I get a craving, urge, whatever. I say go for it! Relive thanksgiving. Then I pour a sofa and lime
Old 01-21-2018, 10:28 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks flinder. The view will be way better than bald ass prairies with freezing temps and bone chilling wind. My wife reminded me that a few years ago when we went to Cuba that the first day we were there we got into the free booze bad. The next day we were sooooo sick that after that we drank very little. Holidays are too precious and expensive to be honking in the toilet
Old 01-21-2018, 02:08 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

this is a good example of how quickly thinking can change. yesterday was
Im 41, and just don't want to bother with the booze. Its all around me, but I just don't care anymore. I just go about my business at any type of gathering, function and have my pop, water, whatever. Im done worrying.

and now youre seeing how quickly thoughts can change.
its all about choices- no one tilts my elbow or forces alcohol down my throat.

if I do the same thing there that I'm doing at home, I should have minimal issues.
you say your not 100% sober, so it reads like youre not going to be 100% sober on vacation then?
russian roulette. the next drink can make everything worse than thanksgiving.
or the next. or the next.
its russian roulette- a game i am better off not playing. no worries about consequences that way.
Old 01-21-2018, 06:31 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

^^^^^Exactly.
I would not go on this kind of trip with this (non) commitment to sobriety - unless I wanted to keep drinking.
Old 01-21-2018, 07:08 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I'm leaving for Mexico Tuesday morning. All inclusive. That doesn't mean just booze...yoga, snorkeling, kayaking, water parks, endless pools and white sand beaches, volleyball on the beach, shows, dining, food, food, and food...etc, etc
I'm more looking forward to the peace of being away from work and the cold winter weather. Spending time with my kids, playing golf and going to the Mayan ruins.
Booze doesn't have to be part of it.
If you are committed to not drinking, you won't.
Old 01-21-2018, 10:56 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Being Canadian I know how fabulous a Mexican vacation sounds right now. Your wife needs a vacation that's obvious. BUT all inclusive? I've read your posts , man. It's strictly your own call. I value my sobriety calendar more than the temptation of my AV on my bikini in Mexico right now. Best of luck...prove me wrong. I'll buy you a Timmy's my friend!!!
Old 01-21-2018, 11:43 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I've been to Mexico twice since getting sober, and it's been fine both times. Preplan activities, keep busy, and just be firmly resolved that you are NOT GOING TO DRINK. Really, no one cares if you drink or not. The waiters and resort people won't give you a hard time. They joke a lot about cerveza and tequila, but the truth is there's plenty of tourists there who don't drink. Have fun, be vigilant, but I can assure that it IS possible to go to Mexico and stay sober.
Old 01-22-2018, 05:18 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

My extended family takes a yearly trip to Cancun. It isn't always easy, especially being on the beach at 9AM and seeing people already ordering mimosas and beers. I am not familiar with your triggers, but a few things I do:

1) Upon check-in, either speak to front desk staff or call room service and request that they not restock your room's refrigerator with alcohol.
2) Try every juice under the sun. Visit the hotel restaurant/buffet and grab a smoothie to take out to the beach each morning so you aren't tempted to order something you know you shouldn't have.
3) It's Mexico. It's hot. Drink so much water that you can't imagine putting other beverages in your body.

It sounds like you're doing this for your wife and she deserves it. So, be there for her and make the trip about her and show her the time of her life.

I know it isn't much, but I hope this helps. Good luck and HAVE FUN!
Old 01-22-2018, 05:33 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Just to pop in again- those of you talking about going on this kind of trip, like OOTT, were committed to sobriety. And then made a plan for the trip. That's different than expressing conflicting ideas about being sober, and what I'd label as pseudo-planning (something to convince yourself, basically, that it'll be ok if you drink bc you will "try" to .... ).

Honesty is so important to my sobriety. What are my real motives? What am I kidding myself about? Really?? I made the decision I was DONE with alcohol for good on 2/21/16. My decisions and honesty aren't about drinking anymore - but I will tell you that I simply did NOT put myself in any situation I didn't feel comfortable in, or I knew would make me literally flex my sober muscles, for a long time. As in - I was secure enough to go back to work in a restaurant at 5 and a half months - but I didn't take my first trip til 9 mo, go to my first party til 14, wedding til 17....that kind of stuff simply wasn't in my new life and I was in no hurry to bring them back in.

Good luck.
Old 01-22-2018, 07:17 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

I do want to spend a couple days of vegging on the beach or poolside that’s why people go there.
OK, then I guess Mexico is off my list, because I have WAY too much ADHD to enjoy vegging on the beach or by a pool. I'd rather stay home and mow the lawn.

Enjoy your trip!
Old 01-22-2018, 07:50 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I think they veg on the beach and poolside BECAUSE of the cervezas and tequila. It's recovery.

I would be out scuba diving. Mexico has awesome diving! Scuba and alcohol don't mix.
Old 01-22-2018, 08:06 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
I think they veg on the beach and poolside BECAUSE of the cervezas and tequila. It's recovery..
I always 'recovered' on the beach/poolside with MORE beer and tequila. I'd drink before boarding the plane,drink on the plane,drink on the way to the resort AND then start partying. All of my all inclusive Mexico vacations are like a blurred dream. What a waste!

One time I forgot where I had parked my car after 8days in mexico,because I was drunk when I drove to the airport.
Old 01-22-2018, 08:33 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Thank you for posting this. I bet a lot of people including myself are in the same boat with all-inclusive vacationing. In a few weeks, my family and I are leaving for Mexico too. In the past, we'd drink cervazas on the beach all day and then hit the tequila hard at night. Such a tiring blur. I agree with above posters, there's so much more to these vacation than just drinking in the sun. Plan, plan, plan. Check out trip advisors for in depth info about your resort, excursions, activities. Good luck! Let us know how it goes.
Old 01-22-2018, 08:38 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I actually am not really worried too much, about it. Is there anybody that has kind of the same experience, or some advice. Thanks guys.
I would say go back and re-read this first

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...alcoholic.html (I'm an alcoholic)

Your nonchalance to the issue is pretty classic AV/Addiction flaring up. You know there's going to be unlimited alcohol and you started a thread about it - but you aren't "that worried"?

As others have mentioned, you need to be "all in" if you really want to stay sober. There are certainly plenty of activities you can participate in Mexico ( or anywhere ) that don't involved drinking alcohol. Make plans to do those things - write down an itinerary if you need to.
Old 01-22-2018, 08:49 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

You've gotten some really good advice, but I will echo others and affirm that leaving the door open to drinking would GUARANTEE I would walk through it. Your approach reminds me of how I've dealt with my spouse in the past, when I didn't want to do something (I hate conflict, so I usually just go along and end up resentful). Passive aggressive, manipulative, etc. I'm just starting to work through these issues, but I'm slowly starting to see what people mean when they say we must be honest and resolute about our commitment to sobriety.