Notices

How Long Does Withdrawal Take?

Old 11-01-2004, 04:44 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How Long Does Withdrawal Take?

Can anyone tell me how long it takes to go through drug and alcohol withdrawal? The nurses can't tell me. My husband is on day 4 of completely being without his beer and percocet and xanax. Please tell me what time frame I am looking at. Thanks, S
Old 11-01-2004, 04:48 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Chy

Typically the worst of alcohol withdrawal can take up to a week, but for most it's 3-4 day's. However, he may have more of a wait time up to 30 day's when coming off the xanax and percocet. Stay in touch with his doctors, and you can find more information by doing a google search on withdrawals. Once the physical withdrawals are over, it becomes more mental, I hope he has a good support group.
Old 11-01-2004, 05:03 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
An Addict name Jerome.......

Sandy; I went thru treatment, the detox from alcohol was 3 days, the detox from xanax and other drugs was 3 weeks, and they wanted me to go to a 6 month program where I would only concentate on my first step, I did not go for the 6 month thing and I was using again just as soon as I got out. So the nurses are not able to tell you, it's really up to your husband. I know that as long as I don't use alcohol and drugs I'll never have to go thru the pain of withdrawals again. I hope everything works out well for the both of you, and try not to think in a time frame.
Old 11-01-2004, 05:11 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks guys. The problem is that he is a physician and doesn't have alot of spare time in between seeing patients and paying bills. If this takes too long, we lose everything. The children (ages 9 and 11) have lived here all their lives and to be uprooted would not be good. Would weekly/nightly AA meetings work? Thanks!!!S
Old 11-01-2004, 05:18 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
My Boss is a Jewish Carpenter

Sure, nightly AA and/or NA meetings.
I don't think you can put a firm timeframe on detoxification. I think the best you can hope for is an educated guess. I can't give you that. I'm not educated.

But I can give you this:

One day at a time. Think about it.

Remember, I'm pulling for you. We're all in this together.
Old 11-01-2004, 05:28 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Old and in the Way

Originally Posted by SandyR
Would weekly/nightly AA meetings work?
Sandy - Hope this isn't more than you're looking for, but not sure if I understand your question. Withdrawal refers to the physical effects that the body experiences while alcohol and/or drugs exit the system, and it takes what it takes regardless of the press of other commitments.

As Chy mentioned, AA or meetings of another recovery program are there to help you keep clean and sober. Most people coming into AA hear a recommendation that they go to 90 meetings in 90 days, and keep going thereafter on close to a daily basis for some time to come. It's not so much a detox thing as it is for support in staying sober. Withdrawal is really only the first step to recovery. Living sober is the long-term challenge, and for many people that's a lifelong committment to AA or other support group programs.

Hope this is helpful,
Joe