Notices

New Hampshire Opioid Crisis

Old 01-21-2018, 06:17 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New Hampshire Opioid Crisis

Today's Sunday New York Times has a lead article about the opioid crisis in New England states, particularly in New Hampshire, It says the crisis is fueled by distributions emanating from the old Massachusetts mill towns Lowell and Lawrence. The article is extensive and heart breaking. It is probably available on line. Ohio and West Virginia are among the other states mentioned.

W.
Old 01-21-2018, 06:28 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I live in NH and I can confirm that the problem is awful. Every week there are a few young people who died from overdoes and countless more who are revived by Narcan. It is terrifying. There are so many bereaved parents, loved ones and children and it seems there is no end in sight for the problem.
Old 01-21-2018, 06:41 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

We are also in the midst of an opioid crisis in Canada, particularly on the West Coast in Vancouver and in Toronto.
Old 01-21-2018, 07:24 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Here in GA too. Fulton and Cobb are two of our biggest counties and Cobb has just edged out Fulton in opioid deaths by county; we are 11th in the nation as a state.

The newest episode of Intervention (season 18 I believe) focuses on what is now called the "Heroin Triangle" (you can google that and/or Intervention for trailers and it is airing now on cable) - three major Atlanta suburbs (Marietta, Alpharetta and Roswell) that are upper-middle-class, traditionally conservative and religious, and mostly white, are now a center of heroin use.

I manage a recovery group for the restaurant industry called Ben's Friends and while we mainly discuss and work on recovery from alcoholism, i have recently connected with The Zone, an amazing opioid recovery facility in Marietta, because the cross-addiction is a reality and I need to understand this particular demon better.

Kids in their teens and 20 somethings, often a progression from rx pills to cheaper heroin or even phentanyl, is the population police, hospitals, etc are dealing with the most.

The school systems are perhaps almost ready to catch on and get involved- my husband is one of three area superintendents of Fulton Co, has 42000 students under his area, which is both the NE and the NW Learning Corridors and includes Marietta, Roswell, Johns Creek and Alpharetta which are neighboring cities and those with the most losses right now. Just this week we were discussing the importance of this issue being on the high level schools' radar so that awareness and knowledge and action can become part of the solution.