Notices

Sunny, warm days

Old 01-20-2018, 01:06 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sunny, warm days

Is a huge trigger for me. It's been cold and miserable all month and that has helped me feel like it wouldn't be fun to drink. I'm not a big barfly but I love to sit outside on a beautiful day and have a corona and lime or any beer.

Today is awesome outside and I'm tempted. Will put my head down and do something else.
Old 01-20-2018, 01:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I want my cake and to eat it too. Have all the benefits of sobriety(clear head, more self esteem, getting things done) and a relaxing beer on the porch.

It's just a dream and a lie. And that is something I need to come to terms with.
Old 01-20-2018, 01:11 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Sunny? Warm?!

It has been around 4 degrees C here all day, pouring it down with rain. Just imagine being in miserable England instead!!

But seriously, best to avoid the sunny outdoors for now it sounds.
Old 01-21-2018, 02:20 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
For Grace

Sunny, warm days are a trigger for me as well and I also reach for the Coronas. Those are second to rainy days listening to the pitter patter when any old beer will do. I also like snowy days and a nice big glass of red wine or a crisp Fall day with a chilled white. I found I could make an excuse almost every day of the year, to sit and drink. Whether it was weather related, circumstantial based on the days events (celebratory or in a fit), or just having an emotion was often cause enough to drink. I guarantee you each and every day you can find an excuse to drink, the challenge is finding a reason not to.
Old 01-21-2018, 03:43 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I find that sitting outside with an ice cold lemonade or soda water is every bit as enjoyable without booze - it's actually better because I'm alert, aware and really part of the proceedings

Give yourself time to get used to it offthemast

D
Old 01-21-2018, 07:02 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

Can you go out in the woods or somewhere away from alcohol and enjoy the day without being triggered? Hiking rather than sitting on the back porch?

So you can enjoy a beautiful day without having it being compromised by thoughts of drinking?
Old 01-21-2018, 07:09 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I can. I appreciate the thought MM. I guess I was just romanticizing another ritual of mine.

I've come to the conclusion the trade-offs with sobriety are worth it. And I suspect they will end up not being even trades at all. I'm trading my broke down Hyundai for a F-22.
Old 01-21-2018, 11:05 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

And there you have it Offthemast.....just post. We tell you you're full of sh*t and away you go hiking .

Oh, if it were only that simple...
Old 01-22-2018, 04:05 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Fisherman's Friend. Suck on one of these and the feeling to drink soon leaves you [

Last edited by Dee74; 01-22-2018 at 07:15 PM. Reason: no commercial links please :)
Old 01-22-2018, 08:55 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Just remember that t's only the first one (or maybe couple) that are "nice." And it never stops there...
Old 01-22-2018, 09:11 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by InApickle View Post
Fisherman's Friend. Suck on one of these and the feeling to drink soon leaves you
They also burn your taste buds off and ruin anything you eat for hours later LOL My Mom was the worst, oh you have a cold, have a fisherman's friend. Do you want some Buckleys? Thanks for the memories! LOL