Notices

Day two: bright and early

Old 01-20-2018, 06:54 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day two: bright and early

I had plans last night with friends who I hadn't seen in a while. They're pretty big drinkers. I decided to not break the plans. My wife went (which keeps me inline) and right off the bat, when they offered me a shot, I said "I'm not drinking tonight".

We played some ping pong, and I had a couple cigarettes, but seeing them really helped. They're worse than I am with alcohol. One of them went to detox about this time last year. He's totaled several cars, lost jobs and ruined relationships. His wife isn't that bad, but an obvious toll is being taken on her health. I see my future in them of I don't quit. It was good to see them drinking and looking very unhealthy while I still felt sick from the night before. I think it was a good negative association.

So, I stayed sober all night. Here I am at 7 am on a Saturday with my second day of sobriety starting. I plan to get online to make up for lost work hours yesterday. After that, I have a productive, alcohol-free day planned.

Thanks everyone for the kind words yesterday. I was super depressed. You really helped by being here and letting me know that I'm not the only one who has to do this.
Old 01-20-2018, 06:59 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey Ape it's my second day too! Glad you're sticking to it. Enjoy your morning and keep up the great work!
Old 01-20-2018, 07:07 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Ape welcome, have a great sober weekend.
Old 01-20-2018, 07:17 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Good morning Ape! Nice job, last night. I would suggest that you stay completely away from evenings like last night for a good bit of time and be cautious about conclusions that you might draw from your ability to be around drinking on your first day. Last night, you were still repulsed by drinking and very energetic to get started on this new venture. On day 4 or 14 or 40, you are less likely to be as enthusiastic about sobriety, you may get a bit complacent, and/or you may get overconfident. In those situations, having really easy access to booze can quickly lead to relapse. Anyway, awesome job on Day 1. Keep it going. I promise that it gets better.
Old 01-20-2018, 07:17 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Mr

Well done for sticking to your decision.
Old 01-20-2018, 07:51 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by soberandhonest View Post
I would suggest that you stay completely away from evenings like last night for a good bit of time and be cautious about conclusions that you might draw from your ability to be around drinking on your first day.
I totally agree. I thought a lot before I went. I didn't want to break the plans because I got drunk the night before. My wife was there for encouragement, and I knew that last night would be easy, because of the negativity I was associating with alcohol all at once.

Thanks for stopping in. It's great to see all the encouragement on this site!
Old 01-20-2018, 01:58 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Have a good sober weekend VA

D