Notices

Why is counting the days such a big deal?

Old 01-16-2018, 11:20 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Why is counting the days such a big deal?

I am in recovery one day at a time.
When that day is over I go to bed wake up and for that new day I take the action to give myself a good quality of sobriety.
I only get out what I put in.
If I go to the ocean with a thimble that's all I'll get... how much Power do I want to access, how enthusiastic and empowered do I want to be.. for today.. .
It's irrelevant how many days
When I turned 20 I didn't say I was 7120 days old.. doesn't have to be bang on just communicating a point.
I've heard people talk complete **** who are 10 years sober they have no program and are dry and sick of mind still and I've
Heard people who are a lot newer and people who are longer sober too carry a ferocious energised msg...
It's the daily action plan thimble or deep well.
The days and time are not why I do this.
It's like everywhere I look
It's day this or day that.
I was born on a certain day I will die on a certain day
Each day I have is about what I'm putting into my recovery and how I'm influencing others in my circle.
Quality vs quantity if you like.
Seriously its a fake road for this sober addict to be checking in with days.
Tell me what your doing with those days
Carry that message to the broken hearted that come here .
I'm not impressed by what day anyone is on.
I get fuelled up and my recovery juices flow when people tell me about their actions what they are doing to keep growing each day.
Recovery is progressive every single day till we draw our last.
I'm sharing what I'm doing
I dont see too much of that here
If I'm new that's what I want to read about
How to rewire reboot my brain and body
How to awaken how to keep changing and growing.
Telling me how many days is like..
Yeah and????
I'm ready for the backlash!
It will only confirm my point!
Give me some raw honesty here
Thimble?? Or
Deep well of self induced walking the walk message carrier to those still in the mire?

Oh and by the way I'm only buzzing with recovery because I'm posting here on my thread what I'm actually doing to strengthen my being for today only!
If I crumble or cave in tomorrow and deceive myself I'm getti g wasted again.
I live my sober life one day from waking up till bed.
That's it folks.
G
Old 01-16-2018, 11:30 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

To summarise my earlier point
I'm in recovery
My higher power gives me everything I need.
It's not my higher powers job to keep me sober
It's my job to take the action necessary to connect and work with that Power which is continuously available to me 24/7.
Old 01-16-2018, 11:34 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hey G,

In reality the only day that matters is today. But we all keep track of our days because it is earned. Also, I think that it helps us to either get help/advice from those that have been where we are. Then it also lets us help those that haven't gotten where we are. For example, my experience was the first 30 days were tough and I had to fight for them. Then I had a spiritual experience and the next 23.5 months have been amazingly easy. But I remember having night sweats up until around 9 months. I remember I still felt "crazy" because my thinking was still off around 1 year.

I think the first 365 days are a big deal. You have the greatest changes within that time and it takes a lot of work to accomplish it. After a year or two, then you see those that are truly sober by their actions and emotional health. I am an AAer so, the years/days seem to create some type of hierarchy. Which I don't pay too much attentions because I try to treat everyone with the upmost respect. Anyways, it also creates a sense of accountability.

Keep up the good work Ghoster, Congrats on staying sober today!
Old 01-17-2018, 12:06 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi ghostwriters

I count days as it shows me how far away I have got from my last drink. Of course we only have today but I like to distance myself as physically and mentally from my last drink. As i get further on the odaat is too uncetain for me. Will i drink tomorrow? The 1more days go by the better I feel.

It works for me and is 1 element that keeps me sober. If it doesn't work for you that's also fine.we are each on our own journey. ☺
Old 01-17-2018, 12:31 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi G
Anniversaries are celebrated for all kinds of stuff
Some do some don't.
All the best
Dave
Old 01-17-2018, 12:48 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I AM impressed by peoples' "days". I like to cheer for, encourage and support each day of sobriety for others, especially those early days, when sometimes ONE day is cause for celebration.

Plenty of people share about what they are doing to get and stay sober, but truthfully, it IS a day-to-day journey, and (at least for me) is not particularly glamorous or noteworthy.

Sending hugs to you.
Old 01-17-2018, 03:48 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I like to track and analyze things, and sobriety is no different. Plus, milestones are motivating.
Old 01-17-2018, 04:01 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Some people find counting days helps, some don;t,.
I don't think it's all that helpful (or necessary) to deride 'the other side'.

I have no idea what my day count is now but when I first started every day sober was a miracle and my daily tally was proof that maybe just maybe I could do this

D
Old 01-17-2018, 04:01 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

You have to live recovery in whatever honestly works for you.

For me I look at it this way. I've managed to string together 619 days, which is 20.25 months. Again, this is just me BUT...... I am far more inclined to keep both feet on this path when I look at 20.25 months and think about what it took to get here.

If looking at is as a ton of 24 hour periods works in keeping you sober who cares?

I'm only saying that as I string more time I see it as far more to lose and it increases my depth of responsibility and accountability.
Old 01-17-2018, 04:15 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

It's not the number that's important to me; it's the consecutive amount of time that matters. If I was sober 25 days last month, with a few drunken days in between...then I'm just drunk less often, with very little to celebrate.
Old 01-17-2018, 05:13 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ghoster18 View Post
To summarise my earlier point
I'm in recovery
My higher power gives me everything I need.
It's not my higher powers job to keep me sober
It's my job to take the action necessary to connect and work with that Power which is continuously available to me 24/7.
Do what works for you, and don't count if you don't get something out of it. I am almost 23 months sober and I counted every day (a note in my day planner) for quite awhile- now I jot it down every few days or week or such - on the month page of the planner, I note the biggies and of course anniversary date (21st).

Our absolute plan DOES mean one day at a time - for me, I can hold the cumulative/bigger picture in my head and enjoy seeing the numbers add up, while not considering them the priority, if that makes sense.

Great job continuing your recovery!
Old 01-17-2018, 05:14 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

It's probably my arrogance that sneakily tells me I'm entitled to pick up when I've put some sober days continuously together.
Like a Kind of internal saboteur.
I'm grateful for the responses.
It helps me learn more about myself and my motives.
God bless everyone
G
Old 01-17-2018, 05:16 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I'm sharing what I'm doing
I dont see too much of that here

Hmmm. Are you sure about this?
Old 01-17-2018, 05:18 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

^^Agreed.
Old 01-17-2018, 05:22 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

It's probably my arrogance that sneakily tells me I'm entitled to pick up when I've put some sober days continuously together.

Ok now you're getting somewhere. I don't know how many days you have. I don't care. But from what you have shared I believe that you continue to relapse. Which is fine if that's what your goal is. If its not then maybe read a bit more of what people are doing to stay sober.

Focusing on others, making comparisons and judgments, taking a one up (or one down) position only serves to add to a feeling of 'separate-ness'. That's exactly what your addict wants. "Oh look at all these sanctimonious fools. Counting days....we're ABOVE all that". Are you sure? And I mean all of this with kindness....that's often lost on a forum.....I am trying to be direct however.
Old 01-17-2018, 05:22 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I am as well keeping a daily record on my calender for my private recognition
I'm trying not to count days because as I have said my AV can use that as an excuse to reward myself.. which is if course insanity!

But it sure does feel good just to know
That I am really living the dream of a sober life.
And that days turn into weeks into months and eventually years.
What an incentive to keep going!
Apologies if my initial post seemed a bit divisive
I was just trying to exorcise my own demons to bring my slippery dark side into
The light of healthy sharing.
You didn't let me down SR
Thank you
G
Old 01-17-2018, 05:25 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

If my goal was to continually relapse
I sure as hell wouldn't be here.
Love and kindness to you too.
Old 01-17-2018, 05:29 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I agree, today is the only day that really matters - each 'today'. In the early days yes, it does mean volumes to people but after a couple of months, it's more enjoyable to share people's monthly totals
Old 01-17-2018, 07:15 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I will count the days until I hit a year, it is great to know where i have come from and to where I am at and going.

I dont remember the days, so I have an app on my phone that tells me.
Old 01-17-2018, 07:23 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Hello:

Don’t want to count? Then don’t. Many don’t.

One thing that is not helpful are these comparisons. Each persons journey is different so focus on yours. I read everyday about what people are DOING and their PLAN, my opinion is that people DO discuss this a lot.

Keep posting! We are here for support.