Notices

Again with the anxiety

Old 01-16-2018, 11:27 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Again with the anxiety

I have posted this before and it sucks. Today I am an anxious wreck at work (not because of work I don't think) and the thing that comes to mind is "oh well, I can drink tonight". But I CAN"T. I honestly think drinking increased my anxiety. And fear. And going to the doctor all of the time for blood tests to see how my liver function was (amazingly fine).

I just want this to be gone. I hate it.
Old 01-16-2018, 11:56 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

You just have to get some sober time under your belt. And not a week or two. Months of sobriety, perhaps, depending on your drinking. It may not cure your anxiety, but at least you'll be able to address it, or if necessary, treat it medically.
Old 01-16-2018, 11:59 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I can relate Chow,
I'm going through a big bout of anxiety, although it's mostly due to work related issues. I'm 141 days sober and this anxiety just flared up a few days ago. I relate anxiety to fear, at least that's how it is for me. Fear... Fear that I won't be able to handle something, fear of loosing something, fear of change.
One thing I do know for sure; drinking alcohol will only make it worse. It's a short term solution.. I've found over time, the anxiety lessens and if we face it head on and deal with it, it becomes less and less.
This too shall pass and it will get better.
Old 01-16-2018, 12:02 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by chowchow View Post
and the thing that comes to mind is "oh well, I can drink tonight".
For me this is what caused my crippling anxiety, the thought of drinking,knowing come 5:00 I wasn't/couldn't drink.
Best thing to do is occupy yourself when those after work "I wanna drink" thoughts come. Once your obsession with booze eases the anxiety will too. Don't cave, stick with it
Old 01-16-2018, 12:20 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Chow, have you tried any sort of therapy? I did ACT, a form of CBT, which really helped me. Being off the booze helps too but I do still suffer. ACT is about accepting rather than trying to get rid of feelings. Well worth a look into.

Drinking definitely increased my anxiety. I feel so much better at 100+ days.

I will say that I also take medication, a low dose of an anti depressant. This levelled me out & gives me time to work on things. It isn't for everyone though.
Old 01-16-2018, 12:20 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Chowchow crippling anxiety in the early days is not uncommon. My own experience was this way too. Please keep going. Each day further away from the poison is a healing day.
Perhaps instead of telling yourself "I CAN'T" maybe try "I DON'T" or "I WON'T" which are more positive spins on it.
Old 01-16-2018, 12:35 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Originally Posted by chowchow View Post
I honestly think drinking increased my anxiety.
You think it because it is so.

Evolution is working on you. Turns out persistent drinking is bad for survival. Homo Erectus that sat around drunk and lethargic all day got eaten by saber tooth tigers. Your brain doesn't want to be eaten by saber tooth tigers, so it is over-producing anxiety chemicals to stimulate you. It hasn't yet figured out that you've quit drinking. When it does it will stop over-producing those anxiety chemicals and you will feel less anxiety. It takes a few weeks.

If you drink you will make it worse.

Try to relax. It will get better. You can do this!
Old 01-16-2018, 01:24 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I completely get this too. I get so anxious sometimes I would do anything to feel differently. But what? In the past, only drinking has helped.

Right now I'm thinking I need alternative coping mechanisms and to be better practiced at sitting with my feelings and keeping in mind that "this too, will pass." xoxo
Old 01-16-2018, 03:08 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope the anxiety will get a little better soon ChowChow

D