Notices

Literally ALL of your troubles will improve

Old 01-16-2018, 04:29 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Literally ALL of your troubles will improve

I recently sat with someone close to me. She sobbed "this is not the person I am, this is not who I want to be".

She was drunk. Again. Had fallen down, just walking around her apartment. Twice in 10 minutes.

She 'confessed' what we've already known for some time.

We talked for a couple of hours as she gradually came up a bit out of the haze and into semi-consciousness.

She began at one point to focus on all the things in her life that were challenging, frustrating, unfair, sad, hurtful and scary. These - she indicated - were all the reasons she drinks.

Patiently, I listened. I reflected back what I heard. Acknowledged how rotten those things can feel.

And then, when the litany was exhausted, when she ran out of steam, I quietly but sincerely said:

"You know what? ALL of this will improve if you get sober. Literally, ALL of it".

And folks.... that's the truth. We can point to the reasons all day. We can find the influences, the 'triggers', the rationale is everywhere. But the bottom line is that life gets better, easier, less awful and far more joyous and rewarding when we are SOBER. Not just 'not drinking' - sober.

I absolutely promise you, if you embrace sobriety - it will ALL get better.

Doesn't mean your troubles will go away. Life comes with troubles. Many of your troubles WILL go away.... or at least become totally manageable to a resolution.

The troubles that do rise up, you'll be capable of coping with on an even keel.

You'll find joy, you'll find peace, you'll find comfort.

You'll find the real You. You'll find that life is a gift.

Old 01-16-2018, 07:50 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Very good point. I was amazed at how much easier my life got when I quit shooting myself in the foot all the time by drinking and using. Then as I learned about recovery, it wasn't just avoiding the bad things anymore, it became gaining the good things. And like you say, at least when trouble comes now, I have half a brain to use to help me out instead of being helpless and confused.
Old 01-16-2018, 08:04 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Who has woe? Who has sorrow?
Who has strife? Who has complaining?
Who has wounds without cause?
Who has redness of eyes?

Those who tarry long over wine;
those who go to try mixed wine.

Do not look at wine when it is red,
when it sparkles in the cup
and goes down smoothly.

In the end it bites like a serpent
and stings like an adder.
Your eyes will see strange things,
and your heart utter perverse things.

You will be like one who lies down in the midst of the sea,
like one who lies on the top of a mast.[a]

“They struck me,” you will say,[b] “but I was not hurt;
they beat me, but I did not feel it.
When shall I awake?
I must have another drink.
Old 01-16-2018, 08:14 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I love this thread. Thank you.
Old 01-16-2018, 03:21 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
saoutchik

All true. It's an incremental thing, small but tangible improvements.
Old 01-16-2018, 07:38 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I’m not sure ALL things will be better but one massive thing will be better-that’s her mental health because she will be sober.
Old 01-16-2018, 07:41 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FreeOwl View Post
I recently sat with someone close to me. She sobbed "this is not the person I am, this is not who I want to be".

She was drunk. Again. Had fallen down, just walking around her apartment. Twice in 10 minutes.

She 'confessed' what we've already known for some time.

We talked for a couple of hours as she gradually came up a bit out of the haze and into semi-consciousness.

She began at one point to focus on all the things in her life that were challenging, frustrating, unfair, sad, hurtful and scary. These - she indicated - were all the reasons she drinks.

Patiently, I listened. I reflected back what I heard. Acknowledged how rotten those things can feel.

And then, when the litany was exhausted, when she ran out of steam, I quietly but sincerely said:

"You know what? ALL of this will improve if you get sober. Literally, ALL of it".

And folks.... that's the truth. We can point to the reasons all day. We can find the influences, the 'triggers', the rationale is everywhere. But the bottom line is that life gets better, easier, less awful and far more joyous and rewarding when we are SOBER. Not just 'not drinking' - sober.

I absolutely promise you, if you embrace sobriety - it will ALL get better.

Doesn't mean your troubles will go away. Life comes with troubles. Many of your troubles WILL go away.... or at least become totally manageable to a resolution.

The troubles that do rise up, you'll be capable of coping with on an even keel.

You'll find joy, you'll find peace, you'll find comfort.

You'll find the real You. You'll find that life is a gift.

What a great post. And exactly what I needed to read tonight.
Old 01-16-2018, 08:52 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Fabulous post FreeOwl, and absolutely true in my experience. Thank you!
Old 01-16-2018, 09:54 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Yep. I never beloved it would really happen for me, but it's true. Ive had a few challenges already in 2018. Once theyd have been encuses for binges and self-pity. I was kind of amazed at my capacity for acceptance and serenity when these things happened iver the last couple of weeks. I kind of steeled myself for a tsunami of feelings that never surged up. I practiced (almost on autopilot) using the tools I've learned in recovery and sailed on. A few sad waves crashing against me, but with my mast hoisted and sails full with gratitude and acceptance, ready to navigate through all weather. It struck me just how different my way of dealing with things is now to It was 4 years ago. Thank you God,

BB
Old 01-16-2018, 10:03 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I agree to that everything gets better. Many of the situations haven't even changed, just my perception of it changed and it became a better situation.
Old 01-17-2018, 04:42 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Virtually every aspect of my life improved after I got sober. In some cases, dramatically. I would have been dead, unemployed, or in jail by this point if I hadn't stopped.
Old 01-17-2018, 04:50 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hope is the most powerful substance.

Thank you for giving us hope.
Old 01-17-2018, 05:07 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Agree a million times over.

One simple reason EVERYTHING gets better is because our perspective, thinking and CLARITY allows us to handle everything better, even the tough stuff.

My now husband remembers me telling him, over our first lunch date, that "everything is better sober." This was in Jul 16. He says he didn't quite believe me (he was a month sober; I was five and a half) but he wanted to know more. He wanted what I had - and he says he quickly came to believe I was right and see it in his life, then ours.

I learned this truism from those further along the path in recovery than me, and believed it would be true - nothing could be better when drinking.