Notices

Struggling

Old 01-16-2018, 02:35 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Struggling

Three weeks today and I'm struggling
Was doing really well now I find it's all I think about ..
A glass of wine 😢😢😢
Anyone else feeling like me ...
Carol xx
Old 01-16-2018, 02:46 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yes, I did used to feel like that. Couldn't imagine getting through an evening without pouring a glass of wine...how on earth could I get through holidays, birthdays, Christmas?

I don't feel like that anymore. Now I can honestly say the last thing I want to do is pour a glass of wine. With more sober time, my perception shifted. I thought beyond that glass of wine. I thought about finishing the bottle and opening another, saying stuff I regret, blacking out, waking up hungover on yet another day 1 full of shame, loathing and regret.

Think about that glass of wine if you want but make sure your thinking is honest. Don't romanticise it. Be truthful. Think about the reasons you decided to stop. And then stop thinking about the glass of wine and go and do something else instead. Something you won't regret. Good luck xxx
Old 01-16-2018, 03:01 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Who wants a glass of wine? A bottle, maybe... two more likely.

Keep going...
Old 01-16-2018, 03:24 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Mr

Don't throw away 3 weeks.
Control your thinking and thoughts
You are doing great.
Old 01-16-2018, 05:54 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

What happened between doing really well, and now its all you think about?

I know for me I have to accept that I cannot drink without extremely negative consequences. Just. the. way. it. is. Nothing will change that.

I used to try to ignore, push away, argue with, negotiate with my addict (or AV, or Beast or whatever ya wanna call it). I now accept that it is a part of me. I'm like 2 people. The recovered Frick and the addicted Frick. The recovered Frick is the higher thinking me. The me I respect. The me that makes good decisions. That other Frick? She's a nightmare. I'm not even sure she's a she. I think she's an IT. It wants, it needs, it cares about nothing/no one. I hear it sometimes, ok. But I don't have to do what it says. I don't negotiate with the psychopath. Acknowledge, divert, move on.

Its a part of me, but it doesn't have to control me.
Old 01-16-2018, 06:08 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I would get urges like that. I would take a nap or at least totally relax and remember that it's only temporary. It is so worth it once you get a little more time built up! Best wishes for you on your journey!
Old 01-16-2018, 06:11 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Whenever I start to glamorize a glass of wine, I try to pause and thinl about what is "really" going on. There was always a reason to why I wanted to drink although at the time I may not have understood it. Now that I've had some time without drinking, I realize there was always a reason. Deal with the reason. A drink never makes anything better; only worse.
Old 01-16-2018, 08:48 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I completely agree with the others who have said that we need to STOP romanticizing it. I'm right there with you at 29 days, and in the past, I've allowed myself to fantasize about drinking "a glass of wine," when that was never the way it ultimately panned out. If you're like me, it will never be any different. You can do this!
Old 01-16-2018, 08:54 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Caralara144 View Post
Three weeks today and I'm struggling
Was doing really well now I find it's all I think about ..
A glass of wine 😢😢😢
Anyone else feeling like me ...
Carol xx
i think many of us have had that problem. i was just about the same- a few weeks in was when the thoughts really hit. that was when the mental fog had lifted. some days the thoughts just about drove me bonkers( or more bonkers. or bonkerer? ).i would get an occasional time the thought of a drink would make "it" better, but thankfully i had my past to show me "a drink" wasnt possible nor would it help anything.
it would only make everything- mainly my mental and emotional state- worse.
Old 01-16-2018, 09:58 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Eat something to stop that craving. Try a pint of Ben and Jerry's, worked for me And will that one glass of wine stay at one? Nope! Urges do lessen, as long as you stay stopped! I drank a lot of wine. Thought about it constantly. At 1.5 years now it doesn't sound appealing at all. Hang in there!
Old 01-16-2018, 10:04 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Yes, I had a very strong, but brief desire for booze escape today after speaking with my daughter on the phone, even though the conversation was a good one. These urges are getting less and less, as I know I can never drink again. It means death for me and there is so much still to experience!
Old 01-16-2018, 10:49 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Cara,
In case you romanticize drinking too much, take a look at this as a reminder:

http://www.crazywebsite.com/Website-...ing_Kitten.jpg

This has always been my favorite ‘In case of emergencies break glass’ picture!
Old 01-16-2018, 03:13 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

How are things now Carol?

D
Old 01-16-2018, 03:16 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I'm so glad you posted this thread. Today was the first day (I'm on day 5) I really had a craving to drink. I never tire of reading folks who have months and years sober explaining how little they crave it now. Hope you pushed through! I will too
Old 01-16-2018, 03:58 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I am 2 weeks and have felt like that on and off but it seems that 3 weeks for many people I have talked to can be a peaking point of sorts. Like the good feelings of quitting have subsided and people you’ve told about your sobriety don’t really care as much anymore, or it’s not a talking point. I think if you can ride out the harder times is when you are really getting your strength. Stick with it! I know you can do it!
Old 01-16-2018, 05:09 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hello ,

I am on day 23 and I found this past Sunday very challenging.
I had a fleeting thought today but got it under control quick.

What had helped me was the reasoning of if you really want to quit.
Was the thought Why not NOW? For the last 10 years every time I have picked up the drink I always had the intentions/thoughts that It will be just this once (haha) and I will quit forever tomorrow. Or more realistically I would pick some random date in the immediate future. That will be the date I will TURN my life AROUND.
I knew in my heart that if I was lucky enough to still be alive I will be wishing /hoping/praying to put down the drink again,and again and again.
Currently The drink is down its not in my system I have a few weeks I want to get through this now. Tomorrow I will be thanking myself and it will be another NOW.
Old 01-17-2018, 02:34 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thank you guys

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
How are things now Carol?

D
hi d
I'm ok sometimes I just get this craving but I do push past it ... Im just taking one day at a time I've got 3 weekends over me wine free an honestly they have been the best weekends I've ever had ...I can watch Netflix with both my eyes open instead of just one eye😂😂😂😂 I'm eating chocolate like an addict also😋 but anything is better than a bottle of wine ...I love coming on here it helps me so much xxx
Much love carol
Old 01-17-2018, 03:36 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Good question
Awesome replies
What a thread
Perfect
You know what you need to do Caral
Best wishes
Dave