Notices

How long have you been sober for? How’s it going?

Old 01-15-2018, 08:32 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How long have you been sober for? How’s it going?

I’m on day 15, my husband is taking my desire to stop more seriously and has decided to not drink the rest of this month either and the next months not drink in front of me (he does want to go to happy hours with friends). That’s going to be helpful. I personally feel swings between feeling good and healthier and then feeling blah and bored, to feeling like I just want to be left alone to get my mind quiet. My energy level today was a big fat 0 but I’m hoping I’ll have more energetic days too. I’m finding I drink more water than normal and am reading a bunch about the body and alcoholism and alcohol online. Knowledge is power!

After my kids go to bed has become fun and my relax time instead of a time I’m worried about triggers. I’m watching no tv and instead doing activities or researching. I’m hoping to get more exercising in, but my energy level has to be there too 😉
Old 01-15-2018, 09:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think it's pretty hard to avoid all triggers...but you can learn to react differently to them.

I'm coming up to 11 years now..as someone who drank around the clock for several years, thats still pretty amazing to me
Old 01-15-2018, 09:40 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

I have been sober a while and people do what they want around me, and I chose the people around me I guess. Whether they drink or not is of no concern to me, though I have no tolerance for alcoholic drinking and behaviour. It is not something that comes up in my social life.

Knowledge is useful but is not necessarily power as we have found out the hard way in AA. If it were, we wouldnt have so many doctors, psychiatrists, university trained A&D counsellors etc in AA.

It is probably truer to say that action will give you power. For me that has meant action on finding and developing a new way of life, a new way of looking at things, new ideas and approaches. The result of that has been the removal of the need to drink.
Old 01-15-2018, 10:25 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

203 days and I’m still sober as the day I was born. Feels great! The first 8-10 weeks were pretty tough. I was coming off a 12-18 beers a day binge for about a decade.
Old 01-15-2018, 10:33 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

45 days.

I feel great (in general). Sure I have my down times when I think about my life and what/where/how I want to be... but at least I'm doing that with a sober mind.

People expect life sober to be one big pink cloud ride - as if sobriety is the magic pill to everlasting and constant happiness. Well of course it isn't. Sobriety is just one part of a happy life for people that cannot drink sensibly like a normal person.

Lots of other things make us happy too like love, friendship, money, work, spirituality, purpose, children, family, health, exercise etc...

Not drinking can be a path to some of the above - some always remain separate.

So I feel good overall.

And when I do feel bad? - Well that sure as s**t aint because I'm not drinking!!!!!!!
Old 01-16-2018, 01:46 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

293 days. The first two months were awful because of fatigue. Now there are good days and there are bad days, but even on those bad days I don't feel I need to drink.

So things are getting better.
Old 01-16-2018, 02:16 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gottalife View Post
I have been sober a while and people do what they want around me, and I chose the people around me I guess. Whether they drink or not is of no concern to me, though I have no tolerance for alcoholic drinking and behaviour. It is not something that comes up in my social life.

Knowledge is useful but is not necessarily power as we have found out the hard way in AA. If it were, we wouldnt have so many doctors, psychiatrists, university trained A&D counsellors etc in AA.

It is probably truer to say that action will give you power. For me that has meant action on finding and developing a new way of life, a new way of looking at things, new ideas and approaches. The result of that has been the removal of the need to drink.
Agree with all of this.

I am coming up on two years sober and AA is also my very active, daily program for living my best recovered life. Those of us living in recovery have found a program, whatever it is, of action to be key to progressing and continuing to learn to live well without alcohol.

Also, my social life is full and I do not give a seat at my table to anyone not trying to live their own best life, alcoholic or not. And - I don't need to lower that standard to have plenty of good folks in my life, or do anything I don't WANT to do, including where I spend my time and energy.

Understanding what alcohol did to us can be helpful - but it's not what got me sober. Thinking about why I was an alcoholic didn't get me sober. Hoping or considering or....planning a temporary quit, or letting my then boyfriend/then fiance/now husband's program have any bearing on my choice and path.

Best to you- hope to see you around here.
Old 01-16-2018, 03:32 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Loving Sobriety

I'm 229 days sober. I used to drink 2 bottles of wine a night and more on weekends. Then I switched to vodka to "hide" my drinking. Hospitalized 2 times. It was awful. I plan to never return to that. I went to AA 3 times a week at the start to keep focused and I loved the support. It was hard at first. I ate a lot of chocolate and I still drink a lot of fluids to keep my hand busy in the evenings. Now it's a lot easier. I can meet a friend for a cold drink and be ok with alcohol around me. I also went to a wedding at a vineyard and was great. My biggest tool is to play it out. Think about what would happen again if I start drinking. I don't want to lose my son, my family and I would. I literally just do today and I don't think about not drinking tomorrow.
Old 01-16-2018, 09:01 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

114 Days
2746 hours
164818 minutes
9889130 seconds - Roughly

I have an app, as I forget where I am today.

It is going great! I have had no urges to drink.
I enjoy the people at my meetings and it is so refreshing to have a group of people who I can relate to.
I am finding out new things about myself, some good, some not so great.
Evolving, it is amazing
More time, energy, and willingness to do the things in life that I want to do.

Cheers,
DC
Old 01-16-2018, 09:06 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

29 days

Overall, I'm doing very well. Physically, I'm exhausted and probably eating way too much chocolate. Emotionally, my moods are all over the place, at times. Mentally, I am resolute. I will not drink. I know where it leads me.
Old 01-16-2018, 09:15 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Wow. All of you are so inspiring. This is only Day 2 for me. The second hardest day so far; but I'm doing it. I have to.

Some day, I am going to say, "365 days sober!" But right now, I just want to get through today.

Thank you all for your inspiration and giving me that little push I need to get through the next day of my journey.
Old 01-16-2018, 09:34 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I've been sober 8 yrs now and my life is better than it's ever been. I rarely think about drinking and I enjoy my sobriety.
Old 01-16-2018, 09:41 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

I will be 5 years sober on Saturday and I am really glad I quit.
Just because you are sober does not mean that life will be all rainbows and unicorns but I know that personally, it was an excellent decision and I never have to go back to that dark depressing pit.
Old 01-16-2018, 09:43 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

15 months. Feel pretty good. I struggled for about 6 months. I think that was due to the fact that I drank everyday for 15 years and that I initially did little to change my life other then not drinking. Once I started to exercise and work on changing my perspective on life did things really start to improve.
Old 01-16-2018, 09:47 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I am at about 7 1/2 years sober. I was a daily drinker. Drank to blackout every day. I got to the point where I thought this was normal!

Like @Least, my life is better now that it has ever been.

After putting the alcohol aside, I have worked my programs to change my life to get it how I want it. This involved changing a lot of my attitudes, setting boundaries, setting up very strong self care routine. Removing myself from toxic people, places and things. Working on my codie issues.

I don't get alcohol cravings (thankfully).

Changing my diet completely.

So I feel (and look) the best ever!

I work my program every day as I want to stay quit and enjoying the life I have.

I love love love love that I am a reliable, stable person now. Others can depend on me. If I say I will do something, I will. I am a good sister now, good friend, good wife.

I love that I behave nicely now. Like a lady instead of swearing, vulgarity. I dress nicely as I respect myself.

Those are but a few of the advantages of quitting.
Old 01-16-2018, 09:52 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Just hit 12 weeks yesterday - YAY

I am buying a huge cake at 100 days and eating it all myself I also recently quit smoking - again, for like the gazillionth time in 3 years, but it is what it is and eventually it will stick.

I do the gallon a day challenge, well I almost at 3 months for that, most people only do it a month, but it really helps, just feeling better has increased my resolve not to drink. I try and always have short and long term things to look forward to, even simple things, like Sundays, church and brunch, Saturdays, the stockyards for an hour, by myself Long term, this month is quiet but next month we have a Valentines Gala we attend every year and a buck and doe, both of which I am already committed to DD for. I have a bunch of speaking engagements coming up, all these things I need to be sober for. Plus I am 41, I don't want to look like I am, so I spent a good deal of money on procedures before Christmas, not having booze and cigs wreck that!

We have a 2 day bike tour coming up in June. I am building a great, sober life - I mean I did all these things while drinking, but now I really enjoy them and work hard to make them even more enjoyable. I look forward to everything, I never say, I don't have time, because I have lots of time - well not really but you know! As a family we are joining a gym. Sobriety has allowed me to rebuild a structured, healthy life. I am not an AA person, I know it is not the program for me, but AVRT, SMART - these programs speak more to me, identifying, owning the problems I have. It's going to be a long process and there are many painful memories to sort through and let go, but as much as it will hurt, I look forward to it. It is freeing.
Old 01-16-2018, 09:57 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hi - I stopped counting days as I found that my way of recovery has to be each new day and not thinking about tomorrow. Now, that is MY way. I celebrate when others on this life saving forum mark their time! I drank for so many years, so much ruin and regret. But I've been working on letting the past go and taking each moment as it comes. Sometimes this is extremely hard, especially when I am with my children, because I can become flooded with guilt. Yet I know there is nothing in a drink that I need. They are so happy that I am sober and that is huge for me.
Old 01-16-2018, 10:10 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
under new management

I have 3 years sober, 59 years old

The first year was tough but I believed, every day, that it would get better. And it did. It got exponentially better.

I am experiencing life in all it's fullness, the good, the less good and everything in-between. To be able to face every up and every down with a clear head, to wake up everyday with no pain, no shame, and no fear, to see the world in full colour instead of shades of grey. Well, some days I don't even have words to express my gratitude.

Every single day is worth it.

Old 01-16-2018, 10:36 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Seven Months

I feel great my sobriety is the best thing that happened to me. Was a heavy drinker for 23 years and all the bad things that happened to me was due to alcohol.

Quit drinking changed my life! For everybody struggling be strong with time it gets easier!
Old 01-16-2018, 11:00 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Six months.

Life is awesome, my energy has doubled and my physical ailments are slowly receding! I was drinking because I thought life was so hard - turns out that life was so hard because I was drinking, lol!