Notices

What questions do I ask?

Old 01-15-2018, 08:20 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What questions do I ask?

My loved one is in rehab now and I was told he had wet brain. He went in one week ago. I did my research but want to know what questions I should ask the doctor?
Old 01-15-2018, 08:54 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome kyarbrouc.
I have no experience to share but I know others will.

D
Old 01-15-2018, 09:33 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

I am very sorry to hear about your partner. The condition of wet brain is experienced as an end stage chronic alcoholic. It often requires permanent hopitalisation as the sufferer has lost the ability to function in the world, though in many ways they will appear normal on first impression.

My questions to the doctor would be about the severity of this case, the chances of recovery, the nature of future care.

I had one experience a few years back with an alcoholic in the cardiac ward who appeared to have this condition. Des was his name. We visited Des over the course of a week or so, and for the first few days he did not remember us vsiting, or who we were. After about 4 days he began to remember and we felt some hope that Des might recover. Unfortunately the hospital did not tell us when he was discharged, as we planned to pick him up and look after him. So he left hospital and returned to his old flat where waitng for him was his old drinking buddy. One more drink, and the next time I saw Des was through the steamed up windows of the ward for wet brain patients, and there he stayed until his death.

There may not be much chance of recovery from this state, but if there is to be any chance at all the sufferer must be prevented by any available means from taking even one more drink, and of course encouraged to get treatment. As with any other alcoholic, they may not want treatment, and there is not much we can do to force the issue.

My thoughts are with you.
Old 01-15-2018, 11:00 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm sorry to hear about your husband.

My 2nd cousin's husband was diagnosed it's (Wernicke-Korsaksakoff Syndrome ) it's from chronic lack of Thiamine (vitamin B1). Prompt diagnosis and treatment can halt the progression. It all depends on what stage he is at. So ofcourse ask the Dr. what stage is he in? He will you give the prognosis and what effects can be halted and which may be permanent. It's not necessarily a death sentence. Quite the contrary.

We're not allowed to give medical advice. My 2nd cousin's husband was lucky had memory and balance problems the rest of his SOBER life.
Old 01-16-2018, 10:34 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

I googled web brain, officially known as Wernicke-Korsakoff syndrome. Classically it presents as three symptoms, ataxia (gait/walking issues), confusion and memory loss, and partial paralysis of the ocular (eye) muscles.

While at a music festival in October of 2016, I experienced a severe episode of being unable to hold my body upright and extreme difficult walking. I had been drinking extremely heavily that day. There may have been other causes for this episode. I was a little weak in walking the next day, but it went back to normal the day after that.

My final bender started in early spring of 2017, and continued through May when I checked into rehab. During this period I attended another festival where I had difficulty walking, to the point that I needed to catch a ride back to the car. It felt like a back issue similar to what I'd experienced at the previous festival, but not as severe.

When I checked into rehab about 3 weeks later, I had noticeable walking and gait issues, as well as mild confusion which I'd attributed to 2 months of round-the-clock daily drinking. I remember going on an activity where we were to walk about 1 mile and a half. I was unable to complete it, and I'm a lifelong hiker and walker. With regular food and some vitamin supplementation, both the concentration and gait improved. At the time I'd attributed the walking issues to muscle atrophy due to pretty much total inactivity for two months. After exiting rehab, I felt pretty much normal, and embarked on an extensive exercise program two months later which is still continuing, as well as regular multivitamin supplements. I still have extremely mild balance issues, such as needing to hold a handrail going down stairs and occasional tripping while walking, particularly if a sidewalk is uneven. It feels like I'm not lifting my feet as high as I used to while walking. Also I'm having balance issues as I'm taking motorcycle lessons, again this could be from a number of causes (I'm going to start riding a bicycle regularly to see if that improves things. I've noticed mild concentration issues, but not enough to hinder me from completing three real estate classes.

I did not have any vision issues, but the symptoms don't necessarily all have to appear, particularly at early stages. Yet another reason why I can never have even one drink.

Although there could be many causes and the only diagnosis I've gotten is from Dr. Google, I think it's entirely possible that I had signs of very early Wernicke-Korsakoff syndrome. Thank God it occured when it did, and I was in a place where I stopped drinking and got proper nutrition, including thiamine supplementation. Also when I'd been in severe withdrawal previously, I nearly always took vitamin supplementation, particularly B vitamins.

Due to very early intervention and self-treatment with thiamine, I seem to have made a full, or nearly full recovery. Most aren't so lucky, and once it advances to a certain point the symptoms can be lessened, but it's pretty much permanent. Hopefully your loved one is still in the early stages and can be helped with treatment.
Old 01-16-2018, 11:27 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hello!

I’m so sorry for what brings you here and I’m glad you are getting informed. Knowledge is power.

My only advice is to write down all your questions and also carry them in case something pops us you can add to the list. What will be will be and you will be able to get through it. Don’t forget to care for yourself too.

I hope is goes well for your hubby and I hope he wants it for himself because remember, this is up to him. You didn’t cause, can’t control it or change it.

Big hugs to you. Welcome to the family!