Notices

Extreme anxiety and fear

Old 01-15-2018, 06:08 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Extreme anxiety and fear

I have been having a rough time with fear and anxiety since I started this journey. I have been having awful dreams about terrible things happening and I keep waking up in terror. Fear of death, illness, something happening to my daughter (the fear is so strong it is really hard to even write about it). This month marks the 3rd anniversary of my mother's death. I was with her when she died. I struggled through the whole day in a state of fear. I was at an AA meeting this weekend where someone said fear and anxiety are signs you aren't trusting in your higher power and turning over control. I want that to be true but right now I just feel terrified.

Has anyone else gone through this?
Old 01-15-2018, 06:28 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I slept well but other than that, for awhile I had the same- fear. Unfounded fear and it was horrible. I made it through it and now at almost a month and a half I’m much better. The wild fear feeling is gone and replaced with lesser anxiety. I’ve had quick times of panic but they fade. It gets much better. I just rode the waves and it improves every day for me. Everyone is different but I did have this. I can relate. Don’t worry- it will not stay this way for you.
Old 01-15-2018, 06:43 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by chowchow View Post
I have been having a rough time with fear and anxiety since I started this journey. I have been having awful dreams about terrible things happening and I keep waking up in terror. Fear of death, illness, something happening to my daughter (the fear is so strong it is really hard to even write about it). This month marks the 3rd anniversary of my mother's death. I was with her when she died. I struggled through the whole day in a state of fear. I was at an AA meeting this weekend where someone said fear and anxiety are signs you aren't trusting in your higher power and turning over control. I want that to be true but right now I just feel terrified.

Has anyone else gone through this?
I sure have. Not only nightmares but a feeling of impending doom during the day. My Dad passed away at 82 two years ago. My Mom is 81 and I worry so much about losing her. My son is traveling Europe for a year and I'm worried about terrorist attacks. My cat is 96 years old in human years I put his twin brother down in September. It's worry and anxiety. AA with good intentions say "Let Go and Let God". I have a prescription from Dr. for a mild benzodiazepine (Valium) for seizure prevention and anxiety while going through withdrawal. It helps. I also read the Desiderata one part

"Do not distress yourself with dark imaginings, many fears are born out of fatigue and loneliness; Be gentle with yourself "

Hope this helps!
Old 01-15-2018, 07:01 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

An emotional roller coaster is normal in early recovery. As it says in Desiderata, be gentle with yourself. It gets better, as long as you stay sober.
Old 01-15-2018, 07:04 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

For a solid week I thought I was about to die due to the initial anxiety and I worried about all of my loved ones. It at lasted a few days. Your going through some tough times but it will pass and your mind will clear up
Old 01-15-2018, 07:40 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think most people suffer some kind of heightened anxiety when they quit. It may fixate on other things but I think it is down to withdrawal.

If you've never been anxious before it should get better in a week or two...if you have a history of anxiety obviously thats different, but even I, with a lifelong history of anxiety is doing the best I've ever been my adult life.

D
Old 01-15-2018, 07:51 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

I would also knock this down to withdrawal. How long has this been?

Not sure I buy that it's tied to your not giving yourself to your Higher Power. I actually had a lot less anxiety when I stopped trying to work the program, but I believe that had more to do with my physical withdrawal symptoms easing than anything else.

It'll probably get better as time goes on.
Old 01-15-2018, 10:27 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Yes! Horrific fear and anxiety for me. To the point where I would have done anything to make it stop. However, it has calmed now. I still struggle at night (not as bad) and during the day it is manageable. It will lessen, I promise... As long as you don't drink. You will be right back there else, and probably even worse.

The best advice I was given was to be kind to myself. And so i say that to you. Go easy on yourself. You have made the very best decision to stop. Take each day as it comes, rest, eat healthily and drink plenty of water. Xx