Notices

Brave New World

Old 01-15-2018, 12:34 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Brave New World

Hello.

It has taken me over two weeks to get up the courage to join this forum, but I did it today. I think it was so hard because by joining I had to lay down my last, weakest lie; the lie to myself that I do not have a problem. It felt easier to read and relate to your posts, than to introduce and admit that I am you, --minus the recovery.

I'm scared to death. I'm scared to even admit, even in an anonymous forum, that I have a controlling, oppressive, unrelenting addiction to alcohol. I've lied to myself for over four years now about it. But today, the lying stops. The hiding stops. The active-death I am engaged in stops. I don't know if I'll have a drink tomorrow, or the next day, or the day after that. I don't know if I am strong enough to stop myself forever. I do know I have to try.

In reading your posts, I see a bunch of people that are trying and succeeding. I want that to be me too. Thank you all for inspiring me to try.
Old 01-15-2018, 12:43 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR,,Mavie; really glad that you found and joined us.

You will find an abundance of support, encouragement and understanding here.

Sobriety and recovery and two of the best things I have ever done and accomplished - for myself and my family. I hope that find exactly the same thing.

Onward, together.
Old 01-15-2018, 12:46 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

So pleased to have you with us Mavie 💜 each day at a time...today you did something amazing by joining us here. Wishing you well on your recovery journey x
Old 01-15-2018, 12:51 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

So glad you have joined us here at SR! You will get alot of support here and be a part of the family. Welcome!
Old 01-15-2018, 12:52 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

You have a great attitude, and welcome Mavie.

Write yourself a plan, and buckle in. It is very hard in the beginning, but it truly does get easier and is very worth it.
Old 01-15-2018, 12:56 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome Mavie!
I'm so please you've had the courage to join us and be so honest about your feelings. Of course honesty is a big part if this particularly to yourself. It is also liberating to accept what you are and take the first steps to recovery.
I look forward to seeing more of you around and sharing your journey with you. Take care xxx
Old 01-15-2018, 01:22 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. I hope our support can help you find permanent sobriety.
Old 01-15-2018, 01:30 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome!

Keep coming back
Old 01-15-2018, 01:32 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank you for your warm welcomes and wishes. It makes me feel a little stronger and a little more ready to take this life change head-on.

I feel like my relationship with alcohol is like that bad ex-boyfriend that you can stay away from for a little while, but you never really get over... eventually you see him again and miss him, and before you know, you're right back in bed with him feeling miserable and ashamed: vowing to never do it again while knowing full well in the back of your mind you'll be right back here. It's only a matter of time.

I think I've decided to leave it for good though. Just me being here is a huge change that took some courage on my part.
Old 01-15-2018, 01:37 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Posted in error...sorry x
Old 01-15-2018, 02:06 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi Mavie! I love your name
Old 01-15-2018, 02:19 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ProfessorD View Post
Hi Mavie! I love your name
Thank you! It is actually "Ma Vie", which is French for "my life". I thought it was a good name for me today because it is literally "my Why" for starting this journey.
Old 01-15-2018, 02:41 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Smile

Originally Posted by Mavie View Post
Thank you! It is actually "Ma Vie", which is French for "my life". I thought it was a good name for me today because it is literally "my Why" for starting this journey.
That's beautiful!
Old 01-15-2018, 02:43 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome Ma vie

there's not one of us here who hasn't been where you are - the great thing about this place is people get it - we understand

I has no idea if I was strong enough for forever either - but I knew I had a pretty good shot at staying sober for 24 hours - so I committed to one day and then back up and committed again the next day...before I knew it I had a long string of days behind me and forever wasn't so scary.

I think we're probably stronger than we know - but our drinking (and self loathing) makes us forget that.

D
Old 01-15-2018, 03:33 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Mavie!!
Old 01-15-2018, 03:38 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Welcome! You’re not scared about admitting the problem here; you’re scared about admitting it to yourself. Just like I was
Old 01-15-2018, 03:47 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bluemilk View Post
Welcome! You’re not scared about admitting the problem here; you’re scared about admitting it to yourself. Just like I was
Absolutely. It's hearing/ seeing the words being spoken by my own two lips that has had me terrified. Thank you!
Old 01-15-2018, 04:30 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mavie View Post
Absolutely. It's hearing/ seeing the words being spoken by my own two lips that has had me terrified. Thank you!
You’ve taken your first step into a larger world
Old 01-15-2018, 05:35 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

It's great to meet you, Mavie. You sound ready to reclaim your life and get free. We know you can!

I'd been drinking 30 yrs. when I came here. I didn't have anyone in my life who understood what I was going through. Talking things over here helped with my anxiety - I knew I never had to be alone with my problems & challenges again. Life will get so much better for you. We're glad you're here.
Old 01-15-2018, 11:35 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

It may be a bit scary, but if you keep going on the journey admitting you have a problem, that alcohol controls you and not the other way around, and you need help to do the hard work of recovery will prove to be a huge relief.

Welcome to your life!