Notices

Oh so grumpy

Old 01-14-2018, 02:56 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Oh so grumpy

Well im coming up to 14 days sober and ive been particularly grumpy all day. Havent been able to shift it all day.
I ve been to the pub a few times over the last couple of weeks and drunk lime and soda and wasnt a problem, except it shows you how boring, loud and selfish others are when drunk. Today I was invited to meet a good friend in the pub but declined as for some reason I felt it would be too unsafe and triggering. Took a lot to say no as i am a natural yes man who is a complete people pleaser.
It just made me feel very wary- yesterday when in a pub the barmaid automatically poured me a pint of strongbow and with no hesitation I told her I was only drinking lime and soda and it was fine but today very very angsty
Old 01-14-2018, 03:39 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

14 days of sobriety is terrific!

I couldn't be around people who were drinking for many months in early recovery. It made me crazy and angry, so I made changes. What else can you do with friends besides hanging out at the pub? Maybe you could meet up for coffee somewhere? I think it's important to make lifestyle changes to support your recovery.

And, I wanted to add something about your being a complete people pleaser. Oprah calls it 'the disease to please', because it will take you down, eventually.
Old 01-14-2018, 03:49 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Being around drinkers made me miserable and grumpy.

could you and your mates think of something else to do besides going to the pub maybe jtmlk?

D
Old 01-14-2018, 03:53 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I've been sober about as long as you, and you could not pay me enough to go to a bar (I'm irritable enough without throwing that into the mix!) Now, the movies or something, sure!
Old 01-14-2018, 03:59 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

last place i wanted to be in early sobriety was a BAR. i found AA meetings much more conducive to sobriety! and i went to LOTS of 'em!