Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

How often do you think about alcohol? And how long sober are you?

Notices

Old 01-14-2018, 10:14 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I am on day 56. I think about alcohol a lot less than when I was drinking everyday. During that time it was constant. I still think about alcohol everyday now though. I know it’s only been 56 days.

So just curious- how often are you thinking about booze and at what stage of recovery?
Old 01-14-2018, 10:22 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Never!

My cravings were lifted away from me and as long as I work my program on a daily basis and give myself good self care, I believe they will stay away.

There is alcohol in my home as husband still drinks.

It feels like a miracle. When I drank I absolutely obsessed about alcohol. I was either drinking it or thinking about drinking it. I rearranged my life to allow me access to alcohol and also to allow recovery time for hangovers.

My life revolved around it.

I am about 7 1/2 years quit.
Old 01-14-2018, 10:22 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

I have five years sober. I don't need to initiate thoughts of alcohol--the world today throws alcohol in my face frequently. Because alcohol is a societal problem, I need a societal solution--other people at AA meetings. I go about twice a week.
Old 01-14-2018, 10:24 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I think about it daily.
12 weeks tomorrow. Cravings, maybe a couple times. Certainly the first Friday, New Years a twinge early in the day.
Old 01-14-2018, 10:34 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

it took about 6 months before i had a full 24 hours without thinking about a drink.
12+ years in, i can still think about it from time to time- give me a warm summer day and a lawn mower and i can think about how good an ice cold beer would taste.
when that happens, i can laugh at how insane the thought of1 ice cold beer is and turn my attention to something more useful.
Old 01-14-2018, 10:39 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

RUL23, 56 days is just FANTASTIC, congratulations. At 7 years sober I rarely think about drinking alcohol, but I do stay on SR regularly to remind me about being an alcoholic for 40 years. It took about a year for the urges and cravings to disappear. Rootin for ya.
Old 01-14-2018, 10:45 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I've got 8 yrs sober and rarely think of drinking, and the few times I think about it, I'm just glad I don't drink anymore. It took me about 6 months before I stopped thinking about it.
Old 01-14-2018, 11:05 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Boxer

[QUOTE=PeacefulWater12;6747016]Never!

“It feels like a miracle. When I drank I absolutely obsessed about alcohol. I was either drinking it or thinking about drinking it. I rearranged my life to allow me access to alcohol and also to allow recovery time for hangovers.

My life revolved around it.”

I did the exact same thing, far more than I realized. It’s kind of like an oil painting now, the further away I am from it the more clearly I see it.

It still comes to mind daily at some point but no longer in the form of cravings, in fact the thought repels me now and is a bit of fleeting romanticizing as well but it melts away almost as fast as it arrives. I admit that with extreme caution as I know too well how caniving and patient this addiction is. There is no such thing as “in the clear” in my opinion though there are tons of people here with more sober time.

I am 6 months sober.
Old 01-14-2018, 11:14 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Over 4 years sober.

I think a lot more about life and sobriety than alcohol.

When I do think about it - it’s in the context of being grateful for my life without it or in the context of deepening or sharing my sobriety. Almost never do I have a random thought about ‘gee, maybe alcohol’ but on the very rare occasion that comes up, I chuckle at it and turn my thoughts back to gratitude for this awesome sober life.
Old 01-14-2018, 11:22 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

i'm 14 days in & i think about it pretty much everyday. mainly at night when my kids go to bed because that's when i would start drinking or using.

my husband & friends are also still texting me or sending me alcohol related memes they think are funny, which has made things a lot harder than i'd like. i know it won't be easy, but it would be nice if they'd stop sending me things that normalize it or make it seem okay or funny.

but there are times where i think about it & i'm just glad i'm not hungover. when i wake up, i'm proud of myself that i didn't give in and think about how great i feel.
Old 01-14-2018, 11:50 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Almost 23 mo, this week. Drinking, alcohol per se, I don't think about doing or anything with an active verb associated. It's around, I might notice it at the store or a restaurant, I might not. There's so SO much else to think about in the life I have now; alcohol- my alcoholism- gets the respectful place it deserves and I honor all I went through by having that place for it. Otherwise, I only think about when it's brought up as a topic somewhere

I am also fortunate that I never had a physical craving. Amazing given the insane amount I was drinking and something I do not take for granted.
Old 01-14-2018, 12:15 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I rarely think about it these day's. I'm just 7 years sober so it hasn't been a part of my life for awhile now. I've learned new associations to replace boredom, anxiety, insomnia etc. It took work in the beginning. Now it just isn't some thing I care about. I think of the consequences rather than the good times.
Old 01-14-2018, 12:23 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

15 months sober and I don't think about drinking very often. Occasionally, if I see a beer I used to like I will think about it, but I never allow myself to consider drinking.
Old 01-14-2018, 12:32 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

How often do you think about alcohol?
And how long sober are you?

Well it's hard to get away from alcohol
completely because it is always present
and lurking. Advertisments, commercials
galore. You name it.

Sure i think about it and sometimes
laugh and joke about it. However, after
27 yrs living my life in continuous recovery,
addiction to alcohol and all controlled
substances is nothing to take lightly
or for granted.

Alcohol has no place in my sober life. Period.
Old 01-14-2018, 01:31 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
2/2016

I am coming up on two years. I never think about alcohol anymore at all. It is wonderful. The wine aisles at the grocery store do not bother me, and I was in a liquor store at Christmas with my sister and not even a twinge. I thank God every day that monkey if off my back.
Old 01-14-2018, 02:48 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

When I previously stopped drinking for six months I stopped thinking about alcohol after a few months. Im 14 days sober now and im not obsessing about alcohol but my brain is constantly nagging me that I feel different to how i would feel drinking- Its as if I am scared of the emptyness of not having that hit for two weeks and my structure throughout the day has changed which has put me off keel a little
Old 01-14-2018, 02:52 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Day 13 and too damn much.
Old 01-14-2018, 03:08 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

14 days and I think about it a lot daily but some of that is being reflective and focused on not giving in or focusing on why I’m better without it. I’m so looking forward to when I don’t have to work so hard at being sober 😉
Old 01-14-2018, 03:50 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Administrator

I only think about it now in the context of this site

D
Old 01-14-2018, 04:24 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Year and a half sober. Around 9 months things started to change in a lot of ways, and thoughts of alcohol started to become less frequent. Now I never think of it as in urges, wishful thinking or anything like that. More along the lines of regret I didnt tackle it sooner, and even those thoughts are becoming less frequent.