Notices

Can withdrawal symptoms show up 2 weeks after the last drink?

Old 01-14-2018, 05:04 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Can withdrawal symptoms show up 2 weeks after the last drink?

Things like the shakes or insomnia?

I have been upping my caffeine intake so I’m questioning if it’s that or if it’s my body still getting used to the lack of excess sugar and alcohol.
Old 01-14-2018, 05:23 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I've always thought DTs show up within 24-48 hours and are over in about a week or so.

I have definitely felt shaky and light headed from too much caffeine before.
Old 01-14-2018, 05:26 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It can cause insomnia. The shakes are also common too.
Old 01-14-2018, 05:28 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

For me, yes.

I had a long physical road to recovery (I am almost 23 mo now) and after the initial withdrawal and subsequent PAWS I saw the going and coming of various symptoms for months. I'm an extreme case.

Lots of non-caffeinated bevs were helpful as were foods with a high water content, as I started eating again and then eating healthfully.

Take care- it will get better and for me, dealing with any and all physical consequences and side effects were always better than drinking.
Old 01-14-2018, 07:45 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

This gets asked a lot, understandably. If it continues get a blood workup. Have them check magnesium levels, other electrolytes, Thiamine etc. Tell them you're an alcoholic and they will know what to look for.

I was very low magnesium and it was causing me a host of problems that mimic detox....but it was happening weeks after actual detox. Rebuilding my levels was challenging with diet alone so I was supplemented and it worked wonders. Everyone is different however so I don't recommend randomly guessing at what your body is lacking.
Old 01-14-2018, 07:53 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yes, I had physical symptoms for quite awhile after I quit.

Could be the caffeine also, so how about cut back on that and see how it goes?
Old 01-14-2018, 08:11 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

I was still experiencing withdrawal symptoms at two weeks. They decreased in intensity and frequency as time passed.

A multivitamin couldnt hurt. Nor would a medical visit if they worsen or continue as is.
Old 01-14-2018, 08:26 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Ready,

I was dopesick from no booze for months.

It wasn't that physical, because i could work out a bit. It was mental.

Brain damage and rewiring.

I have been at the end of getting better for the last several months.

The whole time, relapse looms.

Addict for life.

Thanks.
Old 01-14-2018, 09:22 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

I didn't even think about withdrawal when I decided I had enough. I was too depressed to feel anything. I did have this weird thing about a month in when I woke up in the middle of the night shaking and couldn't get warm. There is plenty going on with your nervous system now. switching to decaf is a good idea so you can pin point it better.
Old 01-14-2018, 10:55 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

You bet you ass they can. It didn't take you 3 weeks to get to this point in life...so don't expect to be "better" in 3 weeks. Acute withdrawal is more complicated than many expect. Symptoms vary, while the body rids itself of the toxins and the brain begins to develop new neurological pathways. It's all good! Lots of V8 juice, B1 and folic acid (folate).
Be gèntle with yourself....PAWS is coming. But we're here for if and when that bridge comes . Hell.. it probably won't be very bad. Just a mild case of say "misplacing your keys".

Keep posting..are you in the January Newcomers Support Class?
Old 01-14-2018, 11:06 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TYG2 View Post
You bet you ass they can. It didn't take you 3 weeks to get to this point in life...so don't expect to be "better" in 3 weeks. Acute withdrawal is more complicated than many expect. Symptoms vary, while the body rids itself of the toxins and the brain begins to develop new neurological pathways. It's all good! Lots of V8 juice, B1 and folic acid (folate).
Be gèntle with yourself....PAWS is coming. But we're here for if and when that bridge comes . Hell.. it probably won't be very bad. Just a mild case of say "misplacing your keys".

Keep posting..are you in the January Newcomers Support Class?
I forgot Magnesium! And see the Dr. if things don't get improve after our sage advice.
Old 01-15-2018, 01:44 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi
Caffeine can give the symptoms that you have described. To much caffeine can increase anxiety as well so I would not increase this I personally decreased caffeine quite a bit I drink real week coffee now.
Everyone is different from build, organ efficiency damage done etc. This is why some lucky people get much less withdrawal than others. I experienced the immediate acute withdrawal. I also went through PAWS which is post acute withdrawal symptoms however I am back at day 15 now and hoping with fingers crossed that I dodge the PAWS.
What ever you experience is proof that alcohol is poison.
I wish you well on your road to sobriety.