Notices

Sick of This I'll Informed Site

Old 01-14-2018, 02:53 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sick of This I'll Informed Site

Irresponsible responses when acute withdrawal is life threatening.

"Oh you can do it I had cramps or I was dizzy or what have you"

Where are the administrators?

For Christ sake people die.
Let's get a handle on this "hugs" ****.
We have a responsibility to first and foremost direct them to their Physician. NOT jog, vitamins, change of attitude. No one seems to get it. Withdrawal symptoms can be different for everyone. Seizures can occur day 1-11 workout warning. This is the most important part of beginning a new sober life. Let's NOT forget #1 Dr. APPOINTMENT. All the rest we offer is awesome. Tried and true. And still be put to use whilst awaiting that CRUCIAL DR. VISIT.

GET IT?
Old 01-14-2018, 02:56 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

Wow. What brought that on?
Old 01-14-2018, 03:00 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Tyg

We spend a lot of time trying to make sure this site is safe...but you might not know that all the staff here are volunteers.

We can't be here 24/7. we rely on SR members to let us know of any problems.

If you think a post breaks our medical advice rule, or any other rule

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...ting-tips.html

you can report a post by hitting the red and white triangle on the offending post.

the ideal is to strike a balance whereby everyone can share their experience of what they did, without giving out advice that might be dangerous.

Dee
SR
Old 01-14-2018, 03:03 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

, Dee.
You handled that very well. I was stumped so I figured I would leave it up to higher authority to respond.
Old 01-14-2018, 03:07 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Got it

TYG I suggest first visiting the GP
Old 01-14-2018, 03:15 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

The administrators can only do so much in a virtual space. Ultimately, it is up to the individual person to seek medical help. This site is for support, NOT physical care.
It would behoove you to focus on YOUR sobriety/ care and not slam people (administrators) who volunteer their time to make this such a wonderful place.
Old 01-14-2018, 03:19 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Tyg,

That is why I love sr.

Quick, meaningful, caring help.

Thanks.
Old 01-14-2018, 03:31 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Flinders39 View Post
The administrators can only do so much in a virtual space. Ultimately, it is up to the individual person to seek medical help. This site is for support, NOT physical care.
It would behoove you to focus on YOUR sobriety/ care and not slam people (administrators) who volunteer their time to make this such a wonderful place.
Behoove? I'm just saying is it to too much to ask the newcomers going it alone to #1. See Dr. THEN go ahead with our experience, advice, encouragement.
Old 01-14-2018, 03:36 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ChloeRose63 View Post
Wow. What brought that on?
Reading posts. It's rampant. Try it. You'll get my point.
Old 01-14-2018, 03:36 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I find that when I rail against something or someone, the AA advice "if I am not the problem, there is no solution" rings true.

If this site doesn't work for me, I won't use it. It's not my job to lambast anyone else on here - especially in the newcomers forum, which is a safe place - and I know first hand that anger does ME no good.

Behoove is a perfect word for describing what I personally need to do in terms of keeping in my lane.

Just my $0.02 from my ESH.

For the record - I am one of those who detoxed solo and when I describe it, I always caveat my experience, which I would not trade for anything or go back and do differently, with the fact that it may not be everyone's best choice and a DR is always a good idea if in any question, sufficient (for that person) suffering, etc. I observe many - most- of us on here doing the same. In fact, I often observe that I am in the minority in strongly affirming the risk I took of an uncertain future- physical and otherwise- over a certain death by drinking by doing it "myself."

Finally, while others are there for support and relate- ability, both in my RL and on SR - it's ultimately up to me how I "do" my recovery. Period.

So that's $0.02 plus.
Old 01-14-2018, 03:38 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

I find that recommendations are best laid on the table as a gift.

The Club of Truth smacked to the head isn't always well-received.

Best of Luck on Your Journey.
Old 01-14-2018, 03:41 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ChloeRose63 View Post
, Dee.
You handled that very well. I was stumped so I figured I would leave it up to higher authority to respond.
Oh aren't you so special
Old 01-14-2018, 03:45 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

There are times I can't win Tyg.

If I tell people to go see their Dr I got told 'all I ever do' is tell people to go see their Dr.

If I leave that out (knowing that others will surely say it) I called out on that as well.

I'm sorry you're struggling

My sincere advice is to drink some water, go to bed, and wake up tomorrow and think about what happens from there. Don't buy any more beer.

Sniping at people here is just going to make it harder for you to come back tomorrow and no one wants it to be hard for you.

Aaaand...if you think you need to see a Dr, by all means please do so.

D
Old 01-14-2018, 03:50 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TYG2 View Post
Behoove? I'm just saying is it to too much to ask the newcomers going it alone to #1. See Dr. THEN go ahead with our experience, advice, encouragement.
One of the most common answers to anyone new here is to seek medical help, so I'm not sure what you are talking about. I've never seen anybody here take withdrawals lightly. But there are many things that a newcomer can do to help if they are going through tough times. Getting medical help is always #1, but offering advise on other things a person can do to help themselves along with it makes sense to me. After all, getting through withdrawals, etc., is just as much mental as it is physical. A doctor can only do so much. Take care. John
Old 01-14-2018, 03:55 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Oh aren't you so special
Sounds like you're in a bad place right now. Sorry you are going through that. Been there myself many times. Hope you feel better soon. John
Old 01-14-2018, 03:58 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

Originally Posted by 2muchpain View Post
One of the most common answers to anyone new here is to seek medical help, so I'm not sure what you are talking about. I've never seen anybody here take withdrawals lightly. But there are many things that a newcomer can do to help if they are going through tough times. Getting medical help is always #1, but offering advise on other things a person can do to help themselves along with it makes sense to me. After all, getting through withdrawals, etc., is just as much mental as it is physical. A doctor can only do so much. Take care. John
That's what I've noticed too an my 5 years here. People are always told to see a doctor both by the members and especially the mods.
Old 01-14-2018, 04:00 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I see people reminding people of the dangers and suggesting they go to a doctor here all the time. Especially in withdrawal related threads.

Tyg - you might consider seeing a doctor.
Old 01-14-2018, 04:05 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Yes, behoove.
As in it would behoove you to take care of yourself right now instead of picking fights. Sleep it off, drink some water, go to a meeting etc... - if those options don’t help, see a doctor.
Old 01-14-2018, 04:08 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Administrator

I don't want this thread to become a back and forth between Tyg and the rest of the community.

I Hope I and others here have addressed your concerns Tyg.

Thread closed.

Dee
SR