Notices

True happiness isn’t about being happy all the time

Old 01-14-2018, 12:30 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Administrator

True happiness isn’t about being happy all the time

Came across this and thought I'd post it here.

I know when I first got sober I thought everyone else was happy all the time and when I wasn't I wondered if something was 'wrong' with me.

''True happiness isn’t about being happy all the time''

https://theconversation.com/true-hap...the-time-88600

D
Old 01-14-2018, 12:53 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Great post, Dee!
Old 01-14-2018, 12:58 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Came across this and thought I'd post it here.

I know when I first got sober I thought everyone else was happy all the time and when I wasn't I wondered if something was 'wrong' with me.

''True happiness isn’t about being happy all the time''

https://theconversation.com/true-hap...the-time-88600

D
That's all good and valuable. If I may quote just a guy who said it in a sentence:
"When you do something beautiful and nobody noticed, don't be sad. For the Sun every morning is a beautiful spectacle and yet most of the audience still sleep". - John Lennon-
Old 01-14-2018, 04:28 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

If we take the eudaimonic approach, however, we strive for meaning, using our strengths to contribute to something greater than ourselves. This may involve unpleasant experiences and emotions at times, but often leads to deeper levels of joy and contentment. So leading a happy life is not about avoiding hard times; it is about being able to respond to adversity in a way that allows you to grow from the experience.
What a great article, Dee. Thanks for posting the link. I would like to cart this over to F&F to share over there in my usual stomping grounds, if you wouldn't mind.
Old 01-14-2018, 04:35 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

In the BB it talks about joy and peace, not really "happiness" (caveat: it does describe the "road to happy destiny") - and I think that is really important. Part of why I drank was maybe what I'd describe early on as seeking happiness, except that was self-deception. It was fun and it was "normal" back in the day, so to speak, but it ultimately became anything BUT about happiness.

Thanks, Dee. Sometimes I have a harder time with "just being" and "normal" feelings than I do struggle or moments of, indeed, happiness.