Notices

Day 10 and struggling

Old 01-13-2018, 05:12 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 10 and struggling

Hi. I read posts all the time but don't post much myself; apart from the 24 commitment every morning.
I am having a bad day. I can sobered up many times in the past but sadly always relapsed after months, or sometimes years. I usually feel great by day 10, on top of the world, but this time I have given up so much to be sober.
I have had to leave my marriage, only thing we had in common was drinking. He was a wealthy successful business man and we travelled a lot with his work. As well as lots of holidays. He is going away today and texted me from the airport. Its freezing here and I don't know what the future holds, my AV is giving me grief, I could be with him, first class travel, all the booze I want, 5 star hotels, all the booze I want. Even now all I have to do is phone him and say I want to go somewhere - anywhere, and we would go.
But I was so unhappy. He was controlling and wanted me to drink. I went to collect the dog two days ago, first thing he did was say he had a case of wine for me. I didn't succumb.
I know but it must be hard for people who have money as well as drink problems. But for me the only way to stay wealthy was to stay drunk. Its hard to walk away from it all. And I have no idea where I go from here.
Sorry to go on, just feeling down and blue.
Old 01-13-2018, 05:37 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hang in there and keep going.. I hear it gets a whole lot better!
Old 01-13-2018, 09:26 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi. Just wanted to reply to my own thread.

What a difference a few hours makes. I took the dog out for a walk. Had a small meal then supermarket delivery arrived with all my goodies; diet coke and chocolate milkshake. Then I had a nice bath and lit the fire. I feel so much better. Have shaken the blues off. For the time being.

All the advice given here works. Just ride out the bad feelings and cravings, they will pass.

Thank you.
Old 01-13-2018, 09:38 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
I could see peace instead of this

Good stuff!

No matter how bad I've felt about anything in sobriety, I have never, ever regretted not giving in to a craving.

There are things far more priceless than financial wealth in this world.
Old 01-13-2018, 11:00 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

You have taken some very, very brave steps, Juliet. Well done!

I know that you can continue to take those steps. Your beautiful sobriety is worth every single one of those steps.

Have you formulated a Plan? I will post a link to a great SR thread in a minute.
Old 01-13-2018, 11:01 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

As promised:

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...highlight=Psst (Psst...wanna know why I'm always recommending recovery plans?)
Old 01-13-2018, 11:03 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi SoberLeigh. I am doing okay, thanks. Got over the blues and feel better now. I plan to go to AA but I am only on day 10 and didn't really leave the house for the first week. I am getting stronger and braver every day.
I find this site helps enormously. I remember saying at an AA meeting that an hour wasn't enough, I needed a meeting from when I got up to when I go to bed. This site provides this.
But yes I am ready to commit to AA and work the steps.
Thanks for your support.
Old 01-13-2018, 11:05 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by julietUK View Post
Hi SoberLeigh. I am doing okay, thanks. Got over the blues and feel better now. I plan to go to AA but I am only on day 10 and didn't really leave the house for the first week. I am getting stronger and braver every day.
I find this site helps enormously. I remember saying at an AA meeting that an hour wasn't enough, I needed a meeting from when I got up to when I go to bed. This site provides this.
But yes I am ready to commit to AA and work the steps.
Thanks for your support.
, juliet
Old 01-13-2018, 11:11 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi Juliet

Glad you got through it. It must be tough to give all that up in a way, but giving up the drink sometimes means tough choices. Sounds like you were unhappy though so giving it all up is a good thing....if I'm making any sense at all!!

Getting out is hard as we know, but worth it if we can manage it. X
Old 01-13-2018, 11:11 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
ours de petit cerveau

well done for hanging in there & sticking to your guns. as you've proved to yourself, it does pass, & it does get better
Old 01-13-2018, 11:17 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thank you for sharing. Man I gotta say, that life you gave up seems pretty awesome on the surface. Just goes to show alcohol shows no bias or partiality. Good luck going forward.
Old 01-13-2018, 12:18 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks to all of you. I was so down when I posted this lunchtime. I can't believe the difference in a few hours. I know the blues and the cravings will come back, but I can fight them. With all this help I can.
Thanks again everyone.
Old 01-13-2018, 01:10 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi Juliet.
Well done on turning your day around
Best wishes
Old 01-13-2018, 01:34 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Really glad to hear the blues has lifted. Someone very helpfully said to me on SR, you don't need to work everything out yet. All you have to do is stay sober for a while. Its natural, I think, to second guess your decisions early in recovery. I have been told that things become clearer the longer you are sober.
Best wishes.
Old 01-13-2018, 03:28 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

Really glad you're feeling a little better Juliet

D
Old 01-13-2018, 03:39 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

yup fighting those awful urges tends to chase them away before to long, a lot faster than the whole situation of having a few drinks and then dealing with all that again would be. It's tough at first and you'll have a lot of tough moments that can seem to drive you insane, keeping my head down and waiting them out always worked. Once I learned to just accept that I'm having a craving instead of fighting it they actually started to go away faster.
Old 01-13-2018, 04:18 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Really pleased you're feeling more positive. The urges can take you by surprise but as you showed them today - you are stronger