Notices

Finally making the change

Old 01-13-2018, 05:07 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Finally making the change

I have read many posts on this site and have found it to be inspirational. I have struggled with alcohol for the last 10 years. I am the type that will drink every beer in the fridge after I have the first one. Typically drink 8-12 beers a night and I am just tired of having this in my life.
I am just starting out and am glad I found this place to talk with others. What were some of the things you did to replace drinking? I am planning on starting to workout again and try to limit my idle time after work as that is typically when I would drink. It's quite scary to admit this problem but I know it will be best for me in the long run.
Old 01-13-2018, 05:36 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome Seph!!

You won't regret your choice. It won't be easy at first, you are habituated to drink. But you can change if you are completely committed. There isn't really a 'half in' kind of mentality to quitting.

Working out is great. In simple terms for me my addiction is a big all encompassing mal adaptive coping mechanism. It worked for a while, until it didn't. And it didn't big time. So my recovery is reversing the process. Its learning new ways of coping with everything as it is. Accept it, and cope. Coping involves dealing with emotions, healing my body, connecting with a spiritual side (no not religion), communing with others who understand my addiction (like here), and being of service even if its small things.

You'll hear, develop a plan. Choose a program of recovery. You don't have to go it alone!
Old 01-13-2018, 05:44 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you for your support. I am very committed to making this change stick as I think it has gone on long enough that I think it is starting to cause noticeable issues. I know it won't be easy but I will certainly be on this site reading and redirecting my thoughts to make myself better.
Old 01-13-2018, 06:18 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Going to an AA meeting may be helpful, it certainly can't hurt.

And don't keep any alcohol in your house!
Old 01-13-2018, 06:29 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Agreed. I am going to look up where meetings are around me and attend some. I took a week off of drinking a month ago and felt great at the end of the week. Then I stopped on the way home one day and bought a 12 pack, for what reason I don't know. Went right back to my old ways from that day forward. It's time for sure and I am ready for hard this will be. I never drank until I was 21. Just socially for about 5 years and from there on it has been a large amount everyday. I am very functional which is a clear indicator that this has to be gone from my life.
Old 01-13-2018, 03:46 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome Sephgato

I think, as well as keepinmg busy, it's a good idea for thinking about what you might do if drinking sounds like a good idea again.

A recovery plan can help
https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...very-plan.html (What exactly is a recovery plan?)

D
Old 01-13-2018, 03:48 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. I hope our support can help you get sober for good.
Old 01-13-2018, 03:54 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, Sephgato. Very glad that you found this very supportive forum.

The link that Dee posted is fantastic.

And, as Zebra said, don't keep any alcohol in you house. Make your home your safe place!
Old 01-13-2018, 04:11 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome. I try to get to the gym & do a lot of biking or walking. Chilling in a cafe or doing a little shopping is good too, just nice to get out of the house. Good suggestions below....

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...ething-do.html (Looking For Something To Do?)
Old 01-13-2018, 05:14 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

We're so glad to have you with us, Sephgato. Be proud of yourself for taking the action needed to change your life. You'll be saving yourself so much grief & misery.
Old 01-13-2018, 06:50 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi Sephgato. My drinking pattern was similar to yours, and for me it was definitely causing noticeable issues. I was also functional, though in the last 11 months I've realized perhaps I wasn't as functional as I thought.

The cool part is, it CAN be overcome and the results are very much worth it. Welcome!
Old 01-15-2018, 07:55 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I have found ways to keep busy, 3 days in, I feel fairly good. A little bit of anxiety but I had been dealing with that when I was drinking so it is nothing new though certainly isn't comfortable. Hopefully that will subside with time. I have found that apple cider vinegar seems to be helping with the reflux / burping I was experiencing every morning. Thanks again for the pointers.