Notices

Day 12 - I've found being sober really, really hard

Old 01-12-2018, 09:51 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 12 - I've found being sober really, really hard

You know how they talk about the pink cloud? I'm afraid I think I missed it. Although there's a lot of things I love about being sober I'd be lying if I said it's been easy. All my sad, paranoid thoughts are here unfiltered and without anything to soften the edges. I'm dealing with things day by day and some of those days aren't too bad, while some are unbearable. Today is closer to the latter I'm afraid. I just have to have faith that I won't feel this way forever because I can't live like this.
Old 01-12-2018, 10:09 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Welcome.

Twelve days is awesome....but very, very early in recovery. You can expect to have some rough days. Just do your best to minimize your reactions to outside circumstances, focus on your recovery, and don't be afraid to pamper yourself.
Old 01-12-2018, 10:19 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

You won't feel like this forever. Allow yourself time to heal. It gets better. I wouldn't have stayed sober if I didn't think it would get better.
Old 01-12-2018, 10:58 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I know how you feel, im on day 11 and not having a good day today, 12 days is an amazing achievement. Keep focusing on sobriety and you will be fine.
I always find reading this site helps me with my urges hence why im here now.
Old 01-12-2018, 11:28 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
under new management

My experience is - it doesn't last forever. It really doesn't. My early days were tough, too, no pink cloud for me, either. But I came through the other side very grateful to be sober!

12 days is wonderful, Sarah, it will get better
Old 01-12-2018, 11:34 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm on day 17 but I'm really not to bad I'm on my soda water and lime ....
I hope you feel good soon
Did you read Jason vales book
Quit drink ... easily
It really inspired me
Good luck xxx
Old 01-12-2018, 11:40 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks for the support everybody, you've all helped me feel more hopeful about the future. And no, I've not heard of that book, I'll give it a google.
Old 01-12-2018, 11:57 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

The pink cloud is usually further down the road. You are very very early. I was miserable for quite awhile. Now 1.5 years later I can say that that stent of feeling like crap is worth being free of that poison. Hang in there!
Old 01-12-2018, 12:03 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Twelve days is fabulous, Sarahsays; a huge congratulations to you.

While truly fabulous, 12'days is still very, very early recovery. So much is yet to come.

While grateful to be hangover-free and free from the physical ill-effects of alcoholism, it took me almost six months to feel truly grateful for my sobriety.
Once I found true gratitude for my sobriety, things started to change for me from an emotional, psychological and spiritual standpoint.

I believe that sobriety and, more importantly, recovery is a whole-person experience. We heal and recover from within.

Do you attend AA (I do not) but from what I have read here, AA seems to facilitate the concept whole-person healing.

Stay close. We truly care and you and your sobriety.
Old 01-12-2018, 12:08 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

12 days is great!

I never had the pink cloud experience at all. I was so filled with guilt and shame when I finally stopped drinking, nothing felt pink cloudish. I think it was good in a way though, because I slowly and steadily moved forward. I understand how hard the early days can be, but it really will get better.
Old 01-12-2018, 02:22 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Glad you're here, keep coming back!

I'm an AA-er and I am grateful that I started meetings right when I quit drinking, and started my journey to recovery.

Look around this site, consider IRL help like AA, and know that we get it. You can make this your last start and find a whole different life, if you want to.

Take care.
Old 01-12-2018, 02:30 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Well done on 12 days Sarah! I started therapy the week I quit. I’ve found it to be really helpful for understanding my feelings about things.
Old 01-12-2018, 02:34 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi Sarah
I’m right with you, day 12 for me too. I’ve never been on anything like this site before but I’m finding out so much about alcoholism that I never would ever admit until now. To find people who are in your exact boat is so calming, you are not alone. I reckon if we were all true to ourselves we’d need a life raft ! Together we can do this��
Old 01-12-2018, 03:43 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi sarahsays

I didn't have a pink cloud either - but I did feel a sense of relief that at least things would not get worse like they would if I was drinking.

My advice is to keep busy -0 too muich time to rumin ate on negative emnotions is not good.

Read and post here often - things will get better..and we'll help you til that happens

D
Old 01-12-2018, 04:44 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
JJ9

Hi Sarah I am also on Day 12!! I once had what I figured was a Pink Cloud when I was on a Day 5 (my last attempt) I was absolutely euphoric all day and then I drank that night

I have not had a pink cloud feeling this time around but I’m kind of glad. Just wanted to check in and say I’m right there with you! I feel great having made it 12 days and I know we can both keep going strong!
Old 01-12-2018, 06:15 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

12 days is great!

I didn't get to the pink cloud until around 5 weeks in, which is right about when I left rehab.

At 12 days I was still figuring out how to do things like walk without a limp again, and the fuzzy cobwebs had only just started to clear.

Keep with it!

The pink cloud is very nice, but also by far not the end game.