Notices

Weight gain

Old 01-10-2018, 10:09 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Weight gain

I haven't had a drink in 15 days .
But I have been snacking on sweets. Chocolate ...crisps ..to stop the cravings ..
Just got weighed in and I've 4 pound on
Feel in a no win situation
Considered having a wine ☹️
Old 01-10-2018, 10:15 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Drinking will NOT remove those 4 pounds
Drinking will NOT take away anything, except sobriety.
When you are done drinking all the **** is still going to be there.

It took me 3 months before I even thought of eating right, working out and getting physically better.
I needed my mind to be good and clear first and foremost.

If I am not mentally OK everything else will fail.

Weight can come off, in due time.

Stay away from the booze, it is not worth it. No bottle has power over you!
Old 01-10-2018, 10:35 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congrats on 15 days sober!! It is okay to put sobriety first. You can always change your diet when you are further along in recovery and are ready too.
Hot tea is a good alternative if you like it. I have lost weight in recovery. It takes awhile.
Old 01-10-2018, 11:11 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Caralara,
For many of us, gaining weight initially is part of the recovery process. When you stop drinking, your body craves sugar like there’s no tomorrow, so we start going for cookies, chocolate, ice cream, you name it! Hence the initial weight gains, but the cravings will eventually go away and the weight will start to come off.
This can take 3-6 months to play out, so patience is required!
Congrats on 15 days - stick with it and you’ll see that it will get easier over time. You will also start seeing a lot of positive changes - you will absolutely win, you just need to keep in mind that you are playing the long game!
Old 01-10-2018, 11:31 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Caralara-15 days of sobriety is awesome, and don't worry about a few extra pounds now. Caring for yourself and healing is the most important thing. I scarcely ate anything while drinking and was quite malnourished. When I went to rehab 3 regular meals a day was utterly foreign to me, but I ate heartily and packed on some pounds. I got rid of them further along in in my recovery, when I was mentally able to take better care of myself. The worst thing to do is start drinking again; that is your addictive voice speaking loud and clear. Wishing you peace, strength and a sober new year.
Old 01-10-2018, 12:15 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Onward!

Hi Caralara,
One of the big benefits I expected when I decided to stop drinking was the imagined weight loss and everyone telling me how great I looked. Six months sober and my weight hasn’t budged. I an just starting to feel the sugar/carbohydrate cravings diminish. As Dreamcatchers said, drinking is not going to do anything except send you back to a place you don’t want to be.
The healthy changes are happening inside of you; brain cells, liver, lots and lots of really positive improvements that are so much more important than some extra weight. Go slowly and love the new and improved sober you!
Old 01-10-2018, 12:49 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you

Thank you so much for your kind inspiring words guys ..I know I can do this 👍👍👍👍
Old 01-10-2018, 01:03 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Ive noticed this too and ive got some observations that might help. Firstly the facts:
Carbohydrate = 13kj of energy
Protein = 18kj of energy
Alcohol = 29kj of energy
Fat = 37kj of energy

By not drinking you've knocked out a huge bunch of energy your body was absorbing so dont feel guilty for the snacks. You even deserve it

Secondly your body needs at least a few weeks to make adjustments and catch up. You may very well be losing weight as we speak but it just doesn't happen straight up.

Also the tummy is clever. It finds the most volatile quick to burn energy first and consumes that for quick energy and drinking alcohol is like rocket fuel. Without that your stomach will be targeting real and wholesome energy sources. You'll see positive changes shortly if you stay the course. Keep it up. Im right behind you on day 1
Old 01-10-2018, 01:05 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

What they said. They will come off, keep up the great work!
Old 01-10-2018, 01:58 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Great job on 15 days🙂