Notices

Some advice would be welcomed

Old 01-10-2018, 09:52 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Some advice would be welcomed

Hi all
I am one of your new recruits to this forum.

I was asked in my last thread which was 111 days sober before a slip.
What would I do differently this time.
Obviously my thought straight away was stay sober/ don't drink!
The next post stated (a new plan)

Can anyone help with this as I am back in a rut with an unclear mind at day 10. Any ideas for a plan? What sort of plans have you put in place for a lasting sobriety? All suggestions welcomed!
Old 01-10-2018, 10:11 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome, and congrats on getting back on track!

My plan to remain sober looks like this:
1. I got to AA- Wonderful support. I am with people who understand me and what I am going through as no one else in my life knows what I am going through as they are not alcoholics
2. I come here A LOT! I post, reply, share my strength, experience, hope and sometimes I through out tough love.
3. I read stories on the site. The relapse ones help me stay sober because I do not want to relapse as it gets harder and harder every time to get and stay sober. I read the success stories from those with 1 year + of sobriety, I want that. I want a long life of sobriety.
I post on the 24-hour connections thread, this keeps me accountable for the day.
I just started the morning gratitude thread, I now post there. It is nice to wake up and start the day on a positive note.
4. I make my bed every morning. I know this may sound silly, but I do. I never did before. It is refreshing and I already feel accomplished for the day.
5. I journal, this includes a gratitude list, and a few steps from AA, to see if I owe anyone an apology, I also see if I acted with the best intentions and reflect to see if I need to be better.
6. I do not hang out with, talk to or go to places I do not want to be. If I feel my sobriety is in jeopardy, the persona, place or thing must be removed. End of story here.
7. I have hobbies now;
I paint, read, journal, work out, cook, meal prep and so on.

Best of luck finding your way. You can do it, you're worth it!
Old 01-10-2018, 11:26 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Well, Dees thread wouldn't be a bad place to start rummaging for some treasure...
https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...y-plans-1.html (Psst...wanna know why I'm always recommending recovery plans?)

Also, it's worth asking yourself what you weren't willing to try last time. Maybe you'll find yourself with more willingness this time round (it the gift that comes free with Desperation).

BB
Old 01-10-2018, 11:42 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Do everything you did last time and add to it. Don’t be afraid to try new things and new hobbies. Self care is really important too.
Old 01-10-2018, 12:06 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hobbies/keeping busy is a good shout.
I'm only 5 months in, but I'm back doing the things I used to, with more energy and passion. Certain hobbies I always kept up, but almost became a chore when I was drinking.
Things just interest me more now I don't have that distraction.

I don't do AA or anything, but I do read on here and I also made a list of why I wanted to quit at the start- which serves as a reminder that i am far better off without it.
Old 01-10-2018, 12:18 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Beardyweirdy View Post
I also made a list of why I wanted to quit at the start- which serves as a reminder that i am far better off without it.
This ^^^^ Yes! I can never forget where I came from, if I do I am more at risk of a relapse. I will never forget but I will not dwell in it!
Old 01-10-2018, 12:37 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dustitoffman View Post
Hi all
I am one of your new recruits to this forum.

I was asked in my last thread which was 111 days sober before a slip.
What would I do differently this time.
Obviously my thought straight away was stay sober/ don't drink!
The next post stated (a new plan)

Can anyone help with this as I am back in a rut with an unclear mind at day 10. Any ideas for a plan? What sort of plans have you put in place for a lasting sobriety? All suggestions welcomed!
Have a look at the thread 'Is 2 years still early in recovery' over on the alcoholism section. There is a response on the thread with an article -'51 things' about recovery. I thought it was brilliant and it really helped me understand the concept of recovery better. It also helped me understand my recent relapse. Its hopeful too......that always helps!
Good luck.
DS
Old 01-10-2018, 07:32 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DarklingSong View Post
Have a look at the thread 'Is 2 years still early in recovery' over on the alcoholism section. There is a response on the thread with an article -'51 things' about recovery. I thought it was brilliant and it really helped me understand the concept of recovery better. It also helped me understand my recent relapse. Its hopeful too......that always helps!
Good luck.
DS
Is it possible to have this thread tagged here for easy access, I'd like to read it!?
Old 01-10-2018, 07:41 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...-sobriety.html (Is almost 2 years still in early sobriety?)
Old 01-11-2018, 06:31 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

DreamCatcher, Berryb, Midwest, BeardyW, DarklingSong and last but not Least🤔

Thank you all for sharing this treasure with me. I will make sure to go through this thoroughly.

Joining this forum a couple of days ago was a most excellent move and it's people like yourselves that make it a special place during a stormy time. I really mean that👍 best wishes.
Old 01-11-2018, 09:08 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thank you so much!
Old 01-11-2018, 12:22 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

The plan that wound up working for me was:

CHOOSE to EMBRACE SOBRIETY with sincerity
Support that CHOICE with ACTION - only taking actions consistent with sobriety
Exercise GRATITUDE and ENVISION an ever-deepening sober life
Repeat EVERY DAY and ALL DAY

AA, Meetings, Big Book, Mediation, Counseling, Exercise, Cessation of activities that contributed to drinking, trying new activities not oriented toward drinking, making new sober friends, having a sponsor, reading about recovery, posting and engaging here, helping others.... there are tons and tons of ideas for the what and the how - but the basic structure of the plan is really simple.

Choose, Act, Envision, Give Thanks, Repeat.

(the program of AA is also a pretty great place to start in terms of a "Plan")

Old 01-12-2018, 12:27 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi FreeOwel
I will not make promises that I will make use of all of the tools but I will also never say never.
My intention is to embrace a sober life from this point forward and I am aware that there are no options on this front!
I absolutely love these famous lines below and post them for all that follow.

We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven; that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Old 01-12-2018, 02:44 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

take up golf, watercolour painting, poetry, Tai Chi and car mechanics.. there you go, that should keep ya busy!