Notices

Depressed

Old 01-08-2018, 02:55 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Depressed

2 weeks plus. Not craving the booze but my face has suddenly gone dry and I have got bags under my eyes and new wrinkles. I look 10 years older in 2weeks. What the heck is happening to me. I have gone sober before and nothing like this happened. I'm vain I suppose. I know I'm going to have to hope this improves but I feel so gutted when I look in the mirror. Has anyone else had a negative reaction like this that improved with time?
Old 01-08-2018, 03:04 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I think its probably your body recovering- give it time and im sure you will start looking much better
Old 01-08-2018, 03:04 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Welcome to Sober Recovery and congrats on two weeks sober.

I'm not sure what you looked like before you quit, but you probably didn't get to you were with your drinking in two weeks...so you wouldn't expect to see drastic improvement in two weeks.

Are you drinking plenty of water?
Old 01-08-2018, 11:32 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I broke out really bad and it really got me down but I think it was the adjustment period. Kinda like the mind and body really tests you in the early days trying to get us to go back out. My skin these days is clearer than ever. So just keep puttin’ one foot in front of the other.
Old 01-09-2018, 12:19 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Fudsey

give it a little time - I think most people end up looking a lot better in the long run once they quit...

why this time and not others ? addiction is a progressive thing - you're likely to feel worse giving up now than you did 2 years ago for example..but things will get better.

This is not the best you'll feel... or look

D

Last edited by Dee74; 01-09-2018 at 12:57 AM.
Old 01-09-2018, 12:34 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm a bit vain myself..Time should fix things,but take a spa day if you can. Mine's scheduled for next week. Groupon has some great deals!
Old 01-09-2018, 01:04 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Talk about it. I'm Day 15 (just realized it's after midnight!) I've posted all along how I look like I came off the set of The Walking Dead. And it isn't any better. Maybe I always did but was too drunk to notice (kidding). I was a size 4. Shiny brunette hair. A few crowsfeet. The odd zit breakout. Decide to save what's left of my miserable existence on Dec 26th...then some kinda physiological s**t went on. And yes it's bloody depressing. YOU ARE NOT ALONE
I can't bear to look in the mirror or go to AA. It's disheartening to fight so hard for 15 days to stay the course, follow my plan all the while expecting my appearance to be better than in years. And maintain my size.
Try not to focus on your appearance in early recovery rather focus on your plan. If we don't I fear I might lose sight of what's #1.
Old 01-09-2018, 05:23 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
totfit

Sobriety does not cause one's appearance to suffer. You may have had a bit less sleep initially after quitting and this might be a part, but I guarantee drinking does not make you look better, unless it is someone else doing the drinking. Adequate rest, a good diet, fresh air, proper hydration and exercise will help. Of course if one is a smoker, all of the things you mentioned are a result of that also. Anyway, just relax. Remember that drinking will not improve the issues you describe, but in fact just the opposite. Hang in there.
Old 01-10-2018, 12:43 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Fudsey View Post
2 weeks plus. Not craving the booze but my face has suddenly gone dry and I have got bags under my eyes and new wrinkles. I look 10 years older in 2weeks. What the heck is happening to me. I have gone sober before and nothing like this happened. I'm vain I suppose. I know I'm going to have to hope this improves but I feel so gutted when I look in the mirror. Has anyone else had a negative reaction like this that improved with time?
Originally Posted by totfit View Post
Sobriety does not cause one's appearance to suffer. You may have had a bit less sleep initially after quitting and this might be a part, but I guarantee drinking does not make you look better, unless it is someone else doing the drinking. Adequate rest, a good diet, fresh air, proper hydration and exercise will help. Of course if one is a smoker, all of the things you mentioned are a result of that also. Anyway, just relax. Remember that drinking will not improve the issues you describe, but in fact just the opposite. Hang in there.
Well tofit
We are talking about withdrawal we are only 15 days in so don't say it doesn't have ANYTHING to do with our appearances. It has EVERYTHING to do with it. We are depressed about it.
I quit smoking in May thank you very much. I'm trying my damndest to eat right and drink lots of water and excersize. Your comment was not only discouraging but I'll informed. Many people in early withdrawal eat candy..gain weight..break out, etc. It's a physiological part of toxins getting out. It's posts like yours that sound too judging to my liking. Ms. 'I was always pretty no matter what and smokers are losers'
When did you forget what acute withdrawal is like?????
Thank God there are people who understand depression on here
Old 01-10-2018, 01:43 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

My apologies tofit. I don't know where that angry response came from. I've just had a few challenging days, not getting tired till 2am. The usual excuses.
Old 01-10-2018, 02:32 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi Fudsey
Im 48 and my experience during previous attempts at sobriety. At around 2 weeks bloating set in. The body of a long term drinker is used to processing out poisons the skin is your biggest organ and the body will use it. The poison is not just straight from the bottle it has become stored in fat. And your organs have to get used to taking energy and nutrients from a different source. Spots dry skin swollen or baggy its a stage and once through I have no doubt that the +10 will become a - 10 skin condition and colour improves over time. If you are concerned that it is something more serious the GP is you best bet. Keep moving forward the sobriety ahead gives many positive returns. Be strong, best of luck!
Old 01-10-2018, 02:43 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Depressed
I had 111 days under my belt before slipping at Christmas tell me about depressed. I'm back in the fog with a mountain to climb and still no real idea how to do it.
One good thing, I said I had 8 days sobre yesterday and it actually 10 today🤔
I'm going to the gym now I find that helps me a lot I think its endorfins and sweating out poisins. Not breaking any records just getting out and pushing the fog back a little. One foot in front of the other and move forward.👍
Old 01-10-2018, 02:57 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Could be signs of dehydration are you drinking enough water? You need to drink lots of it, if it’s dehydration your wee will be darker colour in case you didn’t know. I feel like crap, eyes feel dry then I go to loo and again haven’t drink enough water, down a glass and within 5 mins am cured!
Old 01-10-2018, 03:08 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

funny thing, how our body tells us what we need and don't need by our appearance...I have taken a selfie everyday since I stopped drinking, one selfie a day...I won't share because they are scary indeed but, each day I see a little improvement, less darkness under my eyes, less puffiness in my face, more colour in my cheeks, etc...It helps me, perhaps you can try this?
Old 01-11-2018, 01:38 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hi tofit. 15 days is early on in sobriety and a great achievement. Please don't worry too much about what you see in the mirror. I'm pretty sure your physical appearance will improve--I know your life will. I had terrible rosacea that went away as I continued my sobriety. Wishing you peace and strength on your sober journey.