Notices

Is it okay to hide for a few more days?

Old 01-06-2018, 04:27 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Is it okay to hide for a few more days?

I am on day 3 and the physical withdrawal has almost gone. I am just so down and don't want to leave the house. I live in a beautiful area in the country by the river but I daren't leave the house. My drinking has been done alone in the house for many years now. I have stopped drinking inthe past - many time, but always relapse, so I know from experience that I will want to do things soon, I always have a full life when I'm not drinking. But these first few days are awful. I can see - from a sober point of view, how sad and empty my life has become. I have anxiety about leaving the house, then I read all the posts that say get out in the fresh air, then I beat myself up for not leaving the house, then I get more down and more anxious. sorry I am really going on here. Just crying and beating myself up for the mistakes I've made.
I know I need to go to AA but I don't want to drive to meetings, another area of anxiety. I am reading posts all the time but people say I should post too. Thank you for being there.
Old 01-06-2018, 04:34 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Everyones different Juliet

I would barely leave the house in the first week because I was so sick usually.
I think it's ok to be gentle with yourself for a while...

Once you start to feel a little better tho - don't let the past rule you for too long - there's not much point regretting things you cannot change.

Don't miss out on all the good things you could do today because you were looking back into yesterday

D
Old 01-06-2018, 04:36 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
ours de petit cerveau

well done on three days Juliet, you're doing great

my anxiety was through the roof in early recover & getting out of the house was an effort. don't beat yourself up, just do whatever you need to to stay sober. if that means hiding for a few more days then so be it. if you do need to get out to AA to stay sober, then please make the effort - do you have a friend who could take you if you don't want to drive?

hang in there, it does get better
Old 01-06-2018, 04:38 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

If you have anxiety go see a Doctor, they may send you to a psychologist and there is medication.
Remember substances we have abused have masked many problems we refused to face for a long time. When we stop the problems are still there.
Old 01-06-2018, 04:38 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you. I am just gonna watch tv and snack. I did have a bath yesterday, first in a while, and changed my bedding. But today I seem to have gone backwards again. I have had to leave my marriage to have a chance at soberity and the realisation of that is hitting hard, even though I know it is the right decision. I will keep coming here and posting and reading the posts. I find it so helpful.
Old 01-06-2018, 04:40 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

thank you Andyh and Cappy. All your posts have helped me.
Old 01-06-2018, 04:42 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Smile

Originally Posted by julietUK View Post
how sad and empty my life has become.
I will tell you this, my life is probably the most extreme sad and empty life that you can possibly get. I could go weeks without ever talking to another human being. But this does not bother me it does not deter me because I want to live! I want to help others! It is a work in progress and I will not stop.
Old 01-06-2018, 04:46 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

Do you have any pets? It is comforting to have an animal by your side. Maybe you could adopt one. I could never live without the love of my pets. Just a thought.
Old 01-06-2018, 04:52 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Smile

Originally Posted by ChloeRose63 View Post
Do you have any pets? It is comforting to have an animal by your side. Maybe you could adopt one. I could never live without the love of my pets. Just a thought.
hahaha my cat misty who has been in heat and howling for 2 months and I don't have the money to get her fixed right now. Thinks my doona is the hole to china and once she goes under it just sits there for hours lol
Old 01-06-2018, 05:03 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome Juliet- glad you are here.
Old 01-06-2018, 05:38 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

If you need to hide away for a while longer then I'd do it. As Dee said, we are all different. I think you do what you need to in the early days. There is plenty of time to push yourself to go out later.

I agree with Cappy, it would be a good idea to see a GP about your anxiety. Anxiety is such a common theme here on SR. Some people get through but others (including myself) are on medication.

Posting here is a good idea, maybe just make that the thing you do for the moment, the great outdoors can wait.
Old 01-06-2018, 05:40 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Chloe rose thank you. No I have lost my dog to my husband. But she comes and stays with me. I love to walk her. I am taking these few days then she will be here. It is sad as I miss her but she became his when we lived together. Thank you for your help and support.
Old 01-06-2018, 05:41 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks JJ, I am planning on going to the doctors this coming week to ask for help. Anxiety stops me doing things which leads to depression which leads to drink.
Old 01-06-2018, 05:46 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome Juliet.
Early sobriety was like that for me too. I still sometimes have days where I don't want to leave the house or drive but it is getting easier at 5 months, more good days and enjoyment of life now, than before. Don't get me wrong, it isn't perfect but I feel more motivated, less anxious than I did and I'm learning how to deal with problems instead of burying them with alcohol.
Being sober hasn't solved my problems but it has given me strength to deal with them.
Be kind to yourself, take it a day at a time and come on SR lots.
Old 01-06-2018, 06:00 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Juliet I would say yes do whatever feels comfortable right now. I had a full week at home and really did need that time to get through the worst of the physical symptoms. This thing can't be rushed there aren't any short cuts.
Even now at 5 months in I am a home bird and love an early night in front of the tv. The wonderful thing is despite being an at-home drinker my little home is now my safe place and I'm not triggered by the past.
Take care of yourself and slowly the anxiety will lessen and the brighter days will come xxx
Old 01-06-2018, 07:13 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Sounds pretty normal for day 3 to me The first week in particular can suck pretty bad in my experience, but its very much worth it if you can make it past that, as your energy and mood will probably start to improve pretty quickly. Take it easy on yourself, you're doing something very difficult and if you need to rest and heal, then don't be afraid to do that. You can always post here as much as you want without leaving the house. Pizza delivery and netflix (and simple things like taking a shower) has helped me a lot during those times too.