Notices

First day at SMART meeting

Old 01-05-2018, 08:04 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

First day at SMART meeting

Well went to a smart meeting today for first time. I was a nervous wreck at first but I thought what the heck I'm going to make the effort whilst my body was telling me to crawl into a corner haha

What a lovely atmosphere it was and such a laid back approach to recovery. So many different views and so many people with different stages of recovery but yet a great open atmosphere.

I have to appreciate my mental health worker, as she said she would take me there and back. She is such a lovely person and I appreciate how non-judgemental she is.

So all good on the drink front. 2 days without drinking and only 4 cans in 6, and feeling stronger by the day.

Got my grub in for the weekend so I'm not tempted to go for out and risk getting drawn into a pub or shop.

Will take dog out later if I find the courage to put will be leaving my money in a draw.

Then later I'll sit and have a few snacks and sit down to watch a DVD as I have no TV aerial lol
Old 01-05-2018, 08:09 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
ours de petit cerveau

fantastic! I'm really glad you liked the meeting & found it helpful. it sounds like you have a great support worker too. keep up the good work
Old 01-05-2018, 09:12 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by andyh View Post
fantastic! I'm really glad you liked the meeting & found it helpful. it sounds like you have a great support worker too. keep up the good work
She's a good'un and thank you. Hope all is good on your side too.
Old 01-05-2018, 03:50 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Lone wolf, I went to a SMART meeting also and really liked that program!!!. I couldn't change my schedule around, so was only able to attend the one meeting unfortunately. However I used the workbook a lot!

Best to you!!
Old 01-05-2018, 03:57 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PennyLane76 View Post
Lone wolf, I went to a SMART meeting also and really liked that program!!!. I couldn't change my schedule around, so was only able to attend the one meeting unfortunately. However I used the workbook a lot!

Best to you!!
Yep was very impressed penny, I think the guy who moderated the group did a great job too.
How long ago was it when you went?

I must say since I've stop drinking it takes me a while to get tired lol
Old 01-05-2018, 04:35 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lonewolf22 View Post
Just making up for lost time is how I see it now.
Old 01-05-2018, 04:42 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad to hear that the SMART meeting was a good fit for you.
Old 01-05-2018, 05:18 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Cheers

I'll be regretting these all night Internet roaming when my data runs out in a few days and I have nothing to do lol
Old 01-05-2018, 07:24 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Cheers

I'll be regretting these all night Internet roaming when my data runs out in a few days and I have nothing to do lol
I'd suggest 'soaking it in' and thinking on 'it'.
Old 01-05-2018, 08:27 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Yep was very impressed penny, I think the guy who moderated the group did a great job too.
How long ago was it when you went?

It was about 1.5ish years ago. There were some online meetings at that time, mainly British folks. They were in the middle of the night my time but since I had such horrible insomnia I jumped on a couple of those.

The workbook I did on my own.

I'm over a year sober now, yaay!
Old 01-06-2018, 03:48 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

It was about 1.5ish years ago. There were some online meetings at that time, mainly British folks. They were in the middle of the night my time but since I had such horrible insomnia I jumped on a couple of those.

The workbook I did on my own.

I'm over a year sober now, yaay!
Brilliant penny so how you finding it? You got a decent quality of life now?
Old 01-06-2018, 04:25 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Smile

Cheers

This is a problem its happened to me downloading this stupid huge torrent couldn't even watch youtube.
But don't stress we will pass the hat around get you some mobile data
Old 01-06-2018, 04:43 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
ours de petit cerveau

I like the SMART UK online meetings. they are held most days, timetable here:

https://www.smartrecovery.org.uk/mee...nline-meetings

there's a new meeting on Saturdays - ie tonight - at 20:30 that's not on the timetable yet.

they're very friendly & you can talk if you want, or type, or just listen.

I don't think they'd use too much of your data
Old 01-06-2018, 08:30 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Brilliant penny so how you finding it? You got a decent quality of life now?
Thanks andyh for posting the link! I did a lot of listening to hear the lovely accents

Lonewolf, yes quality of life so so much better. I can't say getting sober made everything all unicorns and daisies, that was an unrealistic expectation I had. But I will say I'm so happy to be sober, gaah! It was a difficult process, not gonna lie, both physically and mentally, but OMG so worth it. The obsession is over! Alcohol tried its hardest to kill me but I didn't want to die, it wants to kill you too and you don't want to die! Now I just get annoyed walking past the wine aisles instead of anxious and filled with dread. It's the first for all of those everyday things are just joyous! Drinking days and early sobriety I would wake up in a panic and have to run outside in the middle of the night to feel cool grass on my feet and look at the sky to calm down. The first night I woke up and could calm myself to go back to sleep quickly was joyous! Things specific to you that bring joy, finally!

You are off to a great start!
Old 01-06-2018, 09:28 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I like the SMART UK online meetings. they are held most days, timetable here:

https://www.smartrecovery.org.uk/mee...nline-meetings

there's a new meeting on Saturdays - ie tonight - at 20:30 that's not on the timetable yet.

they're very friendly & you can talk if you want, or type, or just listen.

I don't think they'd use too much of your data
Lol, how does that work? I assume you somehow chat via microphone or something?

I will have about half a gb now as I only had 1gb left last night :/ next month I'll top up 30pound so I get 20gb a monthly instead of 6gb and I'd be able to join you at the meetings
Old 01-06-2018, 09:34 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thanks andyh for posting the link! I did a lot of listening to hear the lovely accents

Lonewolf, yes quality of life so so much better. I can't say getting sober made everything all unicorns and daisies, that was an unrealistic expectation I had. But I will say I'm so happy to be sober, gaah! It was a difficult process, not gonna lie, both physically and mentally, but OMG so worth it. The obsession is over! Alcohol tried its hardest to kill me but I didn't want to die, it wants to kill you too and you don't want to die! Now I just get annoyed walking past the wine aisles instead of anxious and filled with dread. It's the first for all of those everyday things are just joyous! Drinking days and early sobriety I would wake up in a panic and have to run outside in the middle of the night to feel cool grass on my feet and look at the sky to calm down. The first night I woke up and could calm myself to go back to sleep quickly was joyous! Things specific to you that bring joy, finally!

You are off to a great start!
I've never heard someone cope in that way before but I think I might start using that one :p
Today I feel really good to be honest. This morning I didn't feel too good and when I took the dog out I didn't feel to good either.
When I came back in the house I felt a sense of contentment and may I say glee come over me.

I went to town without drinking again and I'm over the moon with it. It's sort of like walking a tightrope your thoughts try to pull you off but you just stay focused on the path ahead.
I'm just trying to not get too complacent either.

Happy days eh?
Old 01-06-2018, 09:44 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
ours de petit cerveau

Lol, how does that work? I assume you somehow chat via microphone or something?

I will have about half a gb now as I only had 1gb left last night :/ next month I'll top up 30pound so I get 20gb a monthly instead of 6gb and I'd be able to join you at the meetings
it's like a conference call & a group text chat in one. if you want to talk, then you'll need a mic, ideally a headset, but plenty of people just listen & type.

I doubt it uses much data - it's only really an audio stream like listening to the radio or a music service online.
Old 01-06-2018, 09:51 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Which way Lone wolf? Running outside in the middle of the night in your pajamas? LOL. Luckily I had cool grass available or else it wouldn't work. One time I had to hide behind a tree at 3 am from a group of people walking around. Not the criminal type, In a suburban neighborhood, strange! Maybe I should have joined them in my pjs.
Old 01-06-2018, 10:19 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

it's like a conference call & a group text chat in one. if you want to talk, then you'll need a mic, ideally a headset, but plenty of people just listen & type.

I doubt it uses much data - it's only really an audio stream like listening to the radio or a music service online.
I will give it a miss for tonight Andy just in case but I will definitely pop in sometime in the near future
Old 01-06-2018, 10:21 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Which way Lone wolf? Running outside in the middle of the night in your pajamas? LOL. Luckily I had cool grass available or else it wouldn't work. One time I had to hide behind a tree at 3 am from a group of people walking around. Not the criminal type, In a suburban neighborhood, strange! Maybe I should have joined them in my pjs.
Aye haha it evoke quite a humorous image in my head but I also see how that could be really comforting. One day you may go out and find that you have attained enlightenment :p lol