Notices

Brain fog

Old 01-04-2018, 05:39 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Brain fog

So I’ve been drinking since my teen years. 36 years old now. Through my 20’s it was just weekend warrior stuff. Beers with the boys mostly. The last 6 years its been vodka. Started out weekends. My trick was I’d fill a glass with ice water and flavoring and splash in vodka for a nightcap. It progressed to almost a whole bottle a night. I’ve quit many times. Most recently since September lost both my parents and am depressed. Hospitalized twice for withdrawals. Hiding the drinking 24/7 and the whole bit. Married and father of 2 now and am done with this evil drink. I’m on day 5 now. Longest I’ve ever gone is 3 weeks without a drink. I feel fine and great today as but I can’t kick this brain fog that comes and goes for only a few times a day or maybe even once. I feel the need to walk around and am irritable. When does this go away?
Old 01-04-2018, 05:45 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

29 days and that’s one thing that’s gone. Mine has been gone for about 2 weeks but it just decreased slowly and I’m not sure when it completely left.
Old 01-04-2018, 05:49 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome Jds - I think it'll really help you to be here. We all understand what you're going through, like no one else can.

I'm sorry to hear of the loss of your parents. I completely understand attempting to numb the pain - tried it many times. Found out it does nothing to really help, and the anxiety it causes is horrible. Be proud of yourself for recognizing what needs to happen - 5 days is wonderful progress. There's nothing in it for us anymore - no fun, relaxation, no relief from stress. It's taken over our lives & stolen our spirit.

For me, the irritability & brain fog eased up after about a month - but we're all very different. Better days are coming - be patient & kind to yourself. I'm so glad you're reclaiming your life.
Old 01-04-2018, 05:51 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

It takes time to heal the damage drinking has done. Give yourself more sober time to adjust to functioning normally. It will pass.
Old 01-04-2018, 05:52 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

jds,

My recent experience has been suffering with anxiety and obsession.

Brain fog early on, then crave off and on...still today at my nearly 3 years without a big slip.

I am confident a relapse will send me into a death spiral I may not pull out of.

As one issue dissipates, others stand out. For example, first it was detox, then lack of sleep, then balance, agoriphobia, paranoia...etc etc.

It is not constant, but when a symptom comes on, I want to drink over it. When a symptom goes away, a new one comes on.

It is not horrid anymore. Now, sometimes, I feel uncomfortable.

But, my feelings are real. Not like before.

I call my suffering PAWS...it gets better by the moment.

Thanks.
Old 01-04-2018, 05:56 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hey and welcome Jds,

I can also attest to the brain fog being a commonality during early sobriety. Acute and post acute withdrawal (day one to several months potentially) can result in several possible symptoms-clouded perception being one-- that should resolve in time. For me (four and a half months sober) after the first two weeks my cognition started improving. Each person is different; I'd definitely give your doc a call if it's consistent after a month. I still have episodes like that but have suffered from adult ADD and anxiety so it's been hard to distinguish.

Vodka was most definitely my drink of choice. I thought *I* had invented the 'water bottle' trick! Kudos man for your recovery. I'm sure your family will admire you for your resolve. Things WILL improve in time.

You're in the right place. Pull up a chair and hang out
Old 01-04-2018, 05:57 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Diazepam

They gave me diazepam to taper off the last hospital visit in November. I had been doing well and even didn’t drink through Christmas. Then it just came out of nowhere last Wednesday and bam! Drinking again and hiding it from my wife. Drinking, passing out, waking up and right back to the bottle. Even making drinks when I’d get up at night to use the restroom. I’d make that one extra strong to pass right back out. Even missed New Years celebrations with my family. I robbed them and myself. Anyway, I didn’t finish the diazepam from last time because pills aren’t my thing but I guess they gave them to me for a reason. It says on the bottle for anxiety. Should I take them for this? The first time I only took them to stop the shakes. Once those were gone I stopped taking them. Now I have this anxiety fog thing. Would they help at least for these next few days as the rest of the withdrawals end?
Old 01-04-2018, 06:04 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I would go see a Doctor you may have some other underlying thing Anxiety runs in my family its a real thing.
Old 01-04-2018, 06:04 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome! You have made an awesome decision to quit drinking! It's not easy at first but it is so worth it! Hang around here a lot. Read and post as needed. Open 24/7. I have always checked in the 24 hour recovery connection every morning to remind me of who I am and I can't drink. Best wishes for you on your journey.
Old 01-04-2018, 06:22 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

This is the second time this has happened. The first fog went away after a week. It always happens at the end of the day. Could it be that I’m tired and sleepy but this is usually the time I drink myself into my nightly coma and my brain just doesn’t know how to function without alcohol at this hour. By now I’m 2 sheets. It’s 7:22pm where I am right now.
Old 01-04-2018, 06:37 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I still have some brain fog and emotional ups and downs, I'll have 11 months next week.

The first six months I was a complete mess.