Notices

Has tappering helped anybody

Old 01-03-2018, 01:18 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Has tappering helped anybody

Hi everybody. I am curious if tappering has been successful for anybody else. I tried going to detox for my first time a week ago and they sent me home saying I have to be sober for 48 hours before detox can take me in order for the medicine to work properly. I can't get past the shakes that long so I was looking into tappering. So I got rid of the tequila in my house and tradded it for a weaker booze, and I've been drinking bud Rita instead as well. My shakes are to the point my job notices them. Does anyone have advise on tappering? I start therapy on the 26th.
Old 01-03-2018, 02:44 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

I was in such bad shape when i got to rehab that they bent their "must have a BAC of zero" rule. Sending me home was out of the question.

Mine was booze, at least at the time. It may vary depending on your DOC.

If you have an outside doctor that referred you to rehab they may be able to refer you to medical detox. Failing that, call the rehab center back, describe your withdrawal symptoms and ask them for a medical detox referral. Or go to a different center if at all possible.

Alcohol withdrawal can range from mildly uncomfortable to lfe threatening. Its nothing to ignore. If you go into serious withdrawal and get very ill, its on them.
Old 01-03-2018, 03:30 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I tried to quit drinking using tapering to gradually stop. It never worked as I would always drink all I had and go get more.

Best way to stop drinking is to get medical help. The first few days are the worst but if you can get thru them, it gets better after that.

Many others here have tried tapering but few have been successful at it.
Old 01-03-2018, 04:04 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Tapering never worked for me, I'm afraid.

I'd start slow but aLways end up drinking everything in the house.

Also - trading liquor for beer isn't really a taper...unless you're drinking less and less each day.

Beer may have a less % alc/vol than tequila but it's still alcohol.

My advice is to get medical advice and supervision of you van swing it.

D
Old 01-03-2018, 04:18 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Tapering never worked for me because I'd only get so far and then lose it. I ended up worse than when I started.

And, Dee is absolutely right. Alcohol is alcohol. Can you talk to your dr about whether it's safe for you to stop drinking on your own?
Old 01-03-2018, 10:01 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

Oh and I tried a beer taper.

Couldn't do it.
Old 01-03-2018, 11:51 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Tapering was an utter failure for me. 26 of Vodka to a few beers a day. I'm an alcoholic guess what happened? Two days later I'm at 12 beers a day.
I don't understand if you scheduled for an In patient Rehab Center (you know 30 days) and they sent you home rather than arranging for you to get to a Detox Centre (few days usually).
OR were you turned away from an actual Detox Centre? (which makes no sense). So if you could clarify and also are you in Town or city that has both???
Old 01-04-2018, 12:15 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

weaker booze means more drinking. Tapering didn't work for me.

I have no experience with detox or rehab. I thought detox centers were to get people sober before rehab?
Old 01-04-2018, 12:45 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I used tapering as an excuse to keep drinking. I told myself I was doing something constructive to help me quit! So I felt comfortable to keep drinking. I would draw up fancy taper charts to cover the coming week. Maybe stick to it the first day, then explode back into my usual drinking to blackout on the second or third day.

I did this over and over! Eventually stopped cold turkey.
Old 01-04-2018, 01:36 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I’m on day 3 for the hundredth time. The first time I tried the tapering method. U find out quick that that “method” just doesn’t work worth the toilet paper it’s written on. Personally I think it’s a farce.
Old 01-04-2018, 02:03 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Mr

Hello Prosper,

Tapering has never worked for me.
My opinion is that tapering and recovery are incompatible like two opposite poles of the magnet.
An alcoholic if thats what you are cannot put alcohol in her/his hand

just my opinion

Take care
Old 01-04-2018, 02:53 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi Prosper,

I'm not sure what your goal is. With that in mind here are a few thoughts for your consideration:

Are you asking this question because you want to use tapering to stop drinking or are you hoping to continue to drink at a reduced level? I did read your other thread "Very New" and I think you are trying to figure this out.

Keep in mind you are on a site that only promotes total abstinence so as a group our views on tapering especially tapering to keep drinking are somewhat biased against the concept.

Personally, I think tapering does help some people. You won't hear that from many others on this site. To them it's blasphemy.

All that said when I read through your other thread I think for you total abstinence is probably your most likely path to success. If you are holding on to the concept that you can drink less and keep drinking I suggest that you drop that idea. Alcohol is tearing you apart.

I wish you a positive outcome and hope you keep trying to improve your situation.
Old 01-04-2018, 04:15 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Tapering used to be 'the' thing here in the UK, but I think even we are wising up to it.
Like others have said - you start slow and then the AV (who was sitting sniggering in the corner) dives out and whoosh - you're floored again.
Your Doctor is a much better bet.
Old 01-04-2018, 04:56 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Never helped me ended up on a bender again only valium helped with DT's but you have to be careful of that to must be monitored by Dr cos its worse addictive than alcohol.
Old 01-04-2018, 05:48 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I am in a city. I live 1 block from Gundersen Luthern. That's who said 48 hours
Originally Posted by TYG2 View Post
Tapering was an utter failure for me. 26 of Vodka to a few beers a day. I'm an alcoholic guess what happened? Two days later I'm at 12 beers a day.
I don't understand if you scheduled for an In patient Rehab Center (you know 30 days) and they sent you home rather than arranging for you to get to a Detox Centre (few days usually).
OR were you turned away from an actual Detox Centre? (which makes no sense). So if you could clarify and also are you in Town or city that has both???
Old 01-04-2018, 05:52 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

You are right. I think at first I was just kidding myself and I need to realize I should just stop all together. Thank you. It was nice to hear out loud

Originally Posted by AAPJ View Post
Hi Prosper,

I'm not sure what your goal is. With that in mind here are a few thoughts for your consideration:

Are you asking this question because you want to use tapering to stop drinking or are you hoping to continue to drink at a reduced level? I did read your other thread "Very New" and I think you are trying to figure this out.

Keep in mind you are on a site that only promotes total abstinence so as a group our views on tapering especially tapering to keep drinking are somewhat biased against the concept.

Personally, I think tapering does help some people. You won't hear that from many others on this site. To them it's blasphemy.

All that said when I read through your other thread I think for you total abstinence is probably your most likely path to success. If you are holding on to the concept that you can drink less and keep drinking I suggest that you drop that idea. Alcohol is tearing you apart.

I wish you a positive outcome and hope you keep trying to improve your situation.
Old 01-04-2018, 06:20 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thank you for the feedback
Old 01-04-2018, 06:38 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

It can be done though does take discipline. Taper down over a few days and remember you are doing so only to detox, not as an excuse to keep drinking. From there be sure to have a solid recovery plan in place to move on from there.
Old 01-04-2018, 06:45 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Yeah, I tapered. I just did it in a very short time frame, three days; tapered down to zero and never picked up another drink. I'm not saying that was smart, and I still had shakes and hallucinations and lots of withdrawal symptoms - I just didn't know any better.

If you are going to go cold-turkey, please get medical intervention, it's dangerous. A medical detox would be your best bet or a hospital. Not a rehab. I don't understand your being turned away at a detox facility - go back to the hospital or to your doctor. Rehabs might require you to be 48 hours clean, not detox.

Can you clarify for us? Where exactly did you go that told you this? What country are you in?
Old 01-04-2018, 09:45 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Tapering never worked for me. I was the type that would drink until I passed out or ran out of beer. If i tried to control my drinking by buying less beer, I usually found myself driving drunk to get more beer. So this led me to buying more beer to prevent myself from drinking and driving, which in turn resulted in me drinking more because I had more beer in the fridge.