Notices

Day 3

Old 01-03-2018, 08:17 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 3

Hi All,

I have tried many times before to stop drinking. I've been to AA and I've made promises to myself I haven't kept. I've been having extreme anxiety and fear. I have been so worried about my health and getting cancer although I recently had a lot of blood work and nothing was out of the ordinary, not even my liver and pancreas enzymes which I was really pleasantly shocked by. But I KNOW I have to stop. I went to an AA meeting on Saturday and on Monday. I plan to keep going back. I hate the cravings. 5 pm - 7 pm are my worst times. That's when I had been drinking for a very long time every night. I am 52 so I am not getting any younger and I have a 12 year old.

I can use any support I can get to keep going and not drinking. I've been allowing myself to eat whatever I want which includes a lot of sugar and I am also sleeping a lot am and worried those things are abnormal and I should eat less sugar and sleep less.

Thank you.
Old 01-03-2018, 10:01 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to ST CC. Sleeping and eating sugar? Completely normal in the first few weeks and even months of quitting. Read around and keep posting......SR is a great place to help you get sober if thats what you want.
And don't worry it gets easier!
Old 01-03-2018, 10:53 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome chowchow.
I'm at 5 months sober and I am only just reining in my diet in regards to my sugar consumption. As to sleep, I had the opposite problem to you, I didn't manage to sleep for longer than a 3 hour stretch. Sleeping better now though.
IMO, I wouldn't worry about eating whatever you like in the early days, it got me through early sobriety, I found that hunger was definitely one of my triggers.
Old 01-03-2018, 11:02 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Agree with the posts above. Hunger is my main trigger and I've relapsed before through not eating properly. I'm still eating loads of sugary things but trying to swim a bit too. I just reckon it's one battle at a time and the sleep will do your body and mind good just now. Best wishes on your travels. Gabe x
Old 01-03-2018, 03:37 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome to SR ChowChow

Support really made a difference for me - I hope it makes a difference for you too

D
Old 01-03-2018, 08:59 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

From what I have read and experienced, a need for sleep and wanting sugar is normal. Per some old advice on this site, give your body what it wants/sleep as much as you need as long as it keeps you from not drinking.
Old 01-03-2018, 09:24 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Hillbilly Girl

Glad you are here CC ......be kind to yourself & know you are not alone
Old 01-03-2018, 10:30 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'm finishing up Day 9. This is the 1st day I had any energy or appetite. Also the Anxiety is definitely better. I've gone through this way too many times. I hear you. Acute withdrawal I believe is like John Lennon's "Whatever Gets You Through The Night". Sleeping till 2pm, so be it. Eating jelly beans or whatever, so be it. The laundry, housework will still be there when you're up to it. If anxiety is bad. Remember it didn't take you a day to get where you're at now so it's going to take a week or so (depending) to begin feeling strong almost powerful in your mental shift.
I recommend seeing your Dr for enough benzos to prevent a seizure...
Old 01-03-2018, 11:29 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I ate anything and everything including gallons upon gallons of ice cream my first year. As long as I wasn't drinking. I use AA as my recovery program. I hope you have a plan such as AA, SMART, AVRT, etc.

Good luck
Old 01-03-2018, 11:59 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Mr

Welcome chowchow.
The support here makes a big difference for me.
Stick with it.