Notices

Day 8 Still Feel Like Garbage

Old 01-02-2018, 04:56 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 8 Still Feel Like Garbage

My first entry. Since losing everything including every friend I've ever had to being a nasty drunk it is great to find SR! So much enthusiasm and positivity. But being in day 8 of the worst withdrawal ever (emotionally) I gotta admit I'm a bit jealous tho happy for you that most can actually get dressed or bath or go for a walk. Too depressed and I look like I belong on The Walking Dead. Zero energy. Although I've received lots of encouragement on the Newcomers posts since joining last nite....I will not fail. It's too insane. I need all your support more than you ķnow. Hopefully my next post will reflect some improvement
Old 01-02-2018, 05:19 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It will get better. Everyone is different, and handles withdraw in their own way, so we can't tell you an exact timeline. But the awful feelings, and bad looks, and all of it, do go away. Sleep lots, drink lots of water, eat healthy where you can, but allow yourself to give in to treats.

Get outside, even if it's just a walk around the block. Hang in there! We're with you!
Old 01-02-2018, 05:47 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome TYG2
give youeself a little time - it can take a week or two to start to feel better, and you may not feel nmormal until a few momnths go by.

Sounds like a long time, but seeing as I drank for 20 years, I thought it was a pretty good deal;

D
Old 01-02-2018, 05:47 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Great advice above.
Go easy on yourself, time heals and your not too long away from feeling better.
When I felt like this it helped me to distract myself. Some mindless tv or movie, nothing too serious or dark, just a bit of nonsense.

Anything that helped remind me that the world is still turning and it’s full of great things and not everyone in it is obsessing about me or what I may or may not have done or said. You are just regaining your strength ready to emerge.
Stay strong
Old 01-02-2018, 05:52 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

8 days is still early in recovery. Give yourself more time to adapt to living sober. Whatever you do - don't drink!
Old 01-02-2018, 06:27 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum TYG2!!
Old 01-02-2018, 06:38 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
MrBrad

I understand that it is not easy. It takes some time to get back to normal. The body just needs time to stabilize. Please keep us posted with your progress. We all like to hear good news on this site.
Tread lightly and best of luck to you.
Old 01-02-2018, 06:40 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Samantha

Depression happens in early recovery, I find.
What helped me was naps, cartoons, and lots of AA!
I’m just finishing day 10 and feeling much better than day 8.
Old 01-02-2018, 07:02 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hang in there, it was really hard for me at first. I felt like garbage emotionally and mentally for a few months. All that drinking can be hard on your brain, it can take it a while to get used to not being saturated with booze.
Old 01-02-2018, 07:03 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome, TYG! It is 100% true that the first few weeks are awful, physically and emotionally. I've relapsed many times and the withdrawal can feel like a giant pit you'll never get out of. Keep yourself busy with AA meetings if you can get to them -- everyone there has been through it to some degree, and it can be so uplifting to hear stories of people who went through it and made it to the light at the end of the tunnel (many several times!) It WILL get better! I had to take vitamin supplements to keep certain things in check as well... might want to check in with your doctor. I've known people who were super deficient in crucial vitamins and didn't even realize it. Alcohol is such a powerful drug, you're right to rid yourself of it!! Stay strong!
Old 01-03-2018, 05:58 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi TYG2

I felt like crap in everyway for months. I would get jealous when I read on here how someone felt so great after a week. Happy for them but I thought something was wrong with me. Slowly I healed physically and emotionally.

It does seem cliche but it's true. It does get better and its worth it. Hang in there
Old 01-03-2018, 06:49 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Glad you are here. I can absolutely relate to the seemingly insurmountable idea of the most basic things!

At the start, I had "to do lists" that truly consisted of things like 1 eat twice 2 shower 3 make the bed.

Time heals, and you can do this- hope to see you here with us.
Old 01-03-2018, 08:19 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

At Day 8 I was overwhelmed. Now I am just whelmed.

Here's a suggested list for Day 9.

1. Wake up and say "No booze today"
2. Try and eat something and drink water.
3. Go for a moderate walk.
4. Schedule a visit to the Dr.
5. Go to bed and say "I'm grateful for today"
6. Repeat.

Hmmm. I should consider taking my own advice.
Old 01-03-2018, 08:22 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PennyLane76 View Post
Hi TYG2

I felt like crap in everyway for months. I would get jealous when I read on here how someone felt so great after a week. Happy for them but I thought something was wrong with me. Slowly I healed physically and emotionally.

It does seem cliche but it's true. It does get better and its worth it. Hang in there
Thanks for hating too. I get so frustrated when people who I considered "worse than me" (very judgy - I know, I'm working on that also) got sober with ease and joy.

So, so frustrated.
Old 01-03-2018, 08:23 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

It can be a roller coaster. I rode it a few times and got off only resetting the ride in the process. I find knowing in advanced that my emotions can run off the rails helps me step back and breathe when they start to. For me personally the first 6 months were rough but making it through it has been very rewarding. I don't want to get on that ride again!
Old 01-03-2018, 04:16 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Do you practice HALT?

Never let yourself get too Hungry, Angry, Lonely or Tired?

For me the world can be coming to an end and then i might have a long sleep and the next morning things are not so bleak.

I had to make sure my blood sugar was not too low - alcohol has lots of sugar in it. A sugary snack often helped - like a doughnut or a fresh orange juice or a milkshake.

Getting out of the house even if I did not have anything to do worked well. A drive to buy a book and a cup of tea if I felt I had cabin fever.

Its worth it and you will feel better soon.

I wish you the best xx