Notices

Try, try, trying again

Old 01-02-2018, 11:34 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Try, try, trying again

Hi guys!

First time registered here, although I've read a lot before.

I've had a problematic relationship with alcohol since I was in my mid teens. I've quit three times, most recently for over a year back in 2010, but I've never really been methodical (or perhaps honest) about learning my triggers and always just winged it on willpower. Then I've fallen into the moderation trap and - off we go again.

This time there are some clear signs that my health is suffering - not least having been encouraged by the doc to moderate intake last year - and I'm looking at another run at getting permanently sober. Nobody in my immediate circle of family and friends has an unambiguously bad relationship with booze, or much understanding of addiction, and most have at one time or another been unwitting "Oh, but can't you just have one or two?" kind of unsupporters. My wife's more appreciative of the problem now and tried to get me to quit at the start of '17, but I simply wasn't ready and it didn't go well.

The idea of AA etc. just doesn't sound like it's for me, so I'm going the self-help/online support group route. Here we go!
Old 01-02-2018, 12:07 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
The road goes on forever

Hey - SR can be a great resource!

Awesome -2018 is the beginning!
Old 01-02-2018, 12:11 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome...AA is not for everyone and there are several different approaches/support here. This site being a great place to start. I'd also try out a couple AA meetings, with an open mind..ya never know until you try. Kinda like 'firing your entire arsenal at the target.' Might as well use all the resources available.
Old 01-02-2018, 02:02 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome! I joined yesterday. Been browsing SR but after 7 days in hellish withdrawal I reached out. I've been in and out of AA for 5 years...but I didn't do the steps and always came away triggered, even stopping for wine on way home. BUT atleast I tried. now I know for sure it's not for me. So...maybe try one meeting. It could be a good place for you.
If drinking has damaged your health you have nothing to lose? Only a suggestion...1 mtg. Either way you're here on SR and is awesome!