Notices

Hoping for support

Old 01-02-2018, 10:44 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hoping for support

Hi All. I'm a single dad and been addicted to alcohol/marijuana/everything for about 35 years now. I keep deciding to stop but can only manage about a week (often much less). I convince myself that I have it all under control, but I don't. I've now been sober for almost 48 hours and I just feel in such a crappy mood. My problem is that I have never known a life without and to be honest I'm quite scared of it. I have tried AA but there isnt one close to me, and I just dont do group open chatting. Probably because over the years I have learnt not to like and/or trust people. Anyway, I really want to make it work this time so I'm hoping to meet a few like-mnded soles on here so I can learn from their experiences. Happy New Year by the way. Martin
Old 01-02-2018, 10:47 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome! I'm glad you joined us.

It's normal to be scared at the outset of recovery. It takes courage to make the jump and live without substances in your life. But, you can do it. There are a variety of recovery programs in the link below and you will find lots of support here :

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...formation.html (Recovery Programs and Resources Information)
Old 01-02-2018, 10:55 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Martin I am only just recently sign up to this site too. I have similar experience to you with AA due to my anxiety and depression, it just gets too much for me.

Is there not a recovery centre where you live they usually have different treatment options?
Old 01-02-2018, 11:07 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome Martin!

Have a read around here, there is lots of info. It is probably worth joining the January newcomer group thread too.

Good luck, ask anything you like, lots of knowledge on here.
Old 01-02-2018, 11:12 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
The road goes on forever

Hi Martin - I'm with ya... I don't do "groups" or meetings. But I have been here on SR a while. I have had my ups and downs .... But through it all SR has been a huge help.
Old 01-02-2018, 05:31 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Lots of good advice here Smudger

Support made all the difference for me. It was hard to contemplate going back to drinking, or thinking I wasn't that bad, when I had it in black and white how bad I was, or kept seeing my story in other peoples posts.

SR helped me turn things around - for good

D
Old 01-02-2018, 05:34 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Great to have you with us, Martin.

I'd been drinking for 30 yrs. when I found SR. It was such a relief to know I was no longer alone. Everyone understands - and we're here to help. I'm glad you've made the decision to change your life for the better. Now seems like the perfect time. Welcome!
Old 01-02-2018, 06:10 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Martin!!
Old 01-02-2018, 06:24 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. I hope the awesome support here can help you get sober for good.