Notices

2 years sober

Old 01-01-2018, 05:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

2 years sober

Hello. I've just registered. I'm nearly 2 years sober and happy about that. But I am angry and ashamed of how I was when drinking. I know I need to not dwell on the past but it gets to me at this time of year.
Old 01-01-2018, 05:39 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Trac,

I'm glad you registered and reached out. Sometimes the holidays can stir up feelings that are upsetting. You're right to try to not dwell on those thoughts. Congratulations on your 2 years of recovery.
Old 01-01-2018, 05:44 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

2 yrs. is wonderful, Trac. I think talking things over here will help. We're so glad to have you with us.
Old 01-01-2018, 06:06 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. I like the saying: Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future. Try not to dwell on the past. We've all made mistakes.
Old 01-01-2018, 06:18 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome!

I despise who I was when I was drinking. Things I did and honestly I despised drinkers, so I spell hypocrite "em ee"

I don't sleep as much as I did when drinking, so I have more time to revisit memories that bring up the self loathing, but I know I have to work through them and work to prove to others, I am not that person, otherwise I will be trapped in the cycle of addiction.

For me, it wasn't some disease talking or the alcohol made me do it, I chose to drink, I chose to say or do stupid Things, I am a bag of dirt for doing it, I have to figure out how to forgive myself and move forward. It is hard, but it gets easier.
Old 01-01-2018, 08:27 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Congratulations on two years, and welcome to SR!!!
Old 01-01-2018, 09:33 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Amazing work on two years, Trac. I too end up swimming in a dizzying pool of guilt at times or most of the time, perhaps. For me there are so many thoughts I can’t catch them and it’s tough. I’ve recently started writing down specific ‘guilt items’ every morning that flooded me the day before. I don’t remember them all at once but I know one day I will and so it doesn’t matter I only get down one or two at a time. I even write in illegible ‘code’ sometimes because I’m paranoid about someone reading it but it’s still helping a little bit each time. Not sure why it seems to help but it helps me to identify and state.
Old 01-02-2018, 12:53 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Trac - posting here really helped me deal with my past and put it into some kind of perspective.

I know we can help you too - welcome - congrats on 2 years

D
Old 01-02-2018, 01:55 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi Trac. Firstly, amazing job on two years sober. That's simply awesome. I agree with the others, we can't change the past but can learn from it and try to move on. I think most of us feel terrible guilt and shame about what we put our friends and family through but it doesn't mean we should be condemned forever for it. I've decided to try my best to make amends by being a good person. That's all anyone can do. Focus on the good......you have two years!!!!!!!

Old 01-02-2018, 03:10 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome and congratulations!
Old 01-02-2018, 03:24 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Mr

Congratulations on two years sober
Old 01-02-2018, 02:05 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thank you

Thanks to all of you for your supportive comments. What a lovely bunch you are. 😊