Notices

Carol

Old 01-01-2018, 10:25 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Carol

Hey all I'm new here just a little about me I have 3 kids and am married ..my kids are 26 23 and 9 ...I have always been a drinker but was always in control as in only at weekends ....this last two years I've been drinking a bottle of wine every night an two on a Friday an two on a Saturday I've spiralled out of control ...I decided to quit the day after boxing day for my family I can't do it anymore I haven't touched a drink in 6 days I'm scared yet determined xxxx carol
Old 01-01-2018, 10:39 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome, Carol! I’m new here, too - last drink was Christmas Day - but stopped drinking for six months a few years ago and went to AA so have some experience with getting and staying sober. This seems like a really great community and I’m glad you found it!

If I had to guess you’ve likely been feeling pretty up and down since you had your last drink due to your body detoxing. I remember the first time I stopped drinking I was shocked by the headaches and other surprising withdrawal symptoms I felt. (I didn’t think my drinking had been THAT bad!) I went through that this time - quite fatigued and nauseous - but am already feeling so much better than I did after the glass or two or three of wine a night! I hope you’re also feeling better and already seeing some of the very real benefits of not drinking! (Like awaking sober on New Year’s Day - amazing, isn’t it?!)

Anyway, best of luck and I look forward to reading your posts!

Daisy
Old 01-01-2018, 10:41 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome.

You came to the right place.

Lots of support and encouragement here.

BB
Old 01-01-2018, 11:11 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome Carol. Glad you found SR. If you need support you have come to the right place.
Old 01-01-2018, 11:14 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family! You've made a wise decision to get sober. I hope our support can help you stay sober for good.
Old 01-01-2018, 11:38 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome, Carol! Congratulations on 6 days of sobriety!
Old 01-01-2018, 12:17 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Carol,

I'm another wine drinker that imbibed every night. However I was up to 2.5 to 3 bottles every night and then even more at the weekend.

I'm now 30 days sober and I can promise you it does get easier.

Keep working at it. People who don;t suffer from alcohol addiction don;t realise that 6 nights without booze is a HUGE achievement by you.

Keep going!

Tony
Old 01-01-2018, 03:05 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
The road goes on forever

Hello Carol and welcome !
Old 01-01-2018, 04:02 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome Carol! You are safe among friends here. Glad you found us
Old 01-01-2018, 04:37 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Carol! Stay close. Lots of support here, and zero judgment.
Old 01-01-2018, 04:39 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

It's so great to meet you, Carol - you're in very good company here! You're never alone. 6 days is wonderful.
Old 01-01-2018, 05:12 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Great job on six days, Carol! This site has been really helpful in keeping me sober the last few months. Best of luck!
Old 01-02-2018, 09:53 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thank you guys

Thank you all for your lovely kind words of encouragement.... This is my first time doing this I came upon this site an truly felt drawn in ..what I've read I could have wrote it myself ..it's wonderful to meet you all ...one week today and I'm feeling very groggy like a foggy head an very tired I'm drinking loads of sparkling water with slices of lemon and lime ...but I'm eating chocolate and crisps and almost anything sweet which I've never done ....I still crave a wine. Really bad .. but I've been counting the bottles I would have drank an didn't ...in around 12 ....sounds shocking in one week that would have included new years eve an new year's Day ....thank you all
Much love carol
Old 01-02-2018, 10:25 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome Carol and Congrats on 6 days!

Hopefully you've read many different threads and saw that early sobriety is not only tough but unpredictable. Highest success rates come from people that have a plan.

Here are a few things that are predictable in sobriety: a craving to drink when vulnerable. Our minds thinking out of control. Our minds thinking others want us to drink with them. Our minds future tripping worrying about drinking someplace or sometime that probably will never happen. Our friends and/or family expect us to drink (another fallacy). Extreme emotional highs and lows for no apparent reason.

I am not trying to worry you, but hoping you'll prepare yourself for such events.

Good luck
Old 01-02-2018, 05:20 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Carol
you'll find a lot of support here

fogginess is a problem for a lot of us but it will fade as your mind and body heals - so should the sweet tooth

Cravings may trouble you for a little while but support helps, and every time you get through a craving stronger, you'll know you will be a little bit stronger next time

here are some great ideas for cravings, inspired by someone else called Carol
https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...-cravings.html (CarolD's tips for cravings)
D
Old 01-02-2018, 06:02 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Carol,

Welcome! We are so glad you are here. This is a wonderful place full of people who understand. I was very much like you, with three children in a similar age range, drinking a bottle or more of wine every night. I’ve not had any for seven months now, and life is better in every way.

Think of the good you’ve done your body by not pouring those twelve bottles of wine through your liver! You are doing great.
Keep reading and posting! We are with you.
Old 01-02-2018, 06:08 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Your in the right place Carol. Warm welcome and wise decision well made to live sober.
Everyone’s different but I was still indulging my sweet tooth developed after quitting at 3 months. It calms down and don’t deny yourself anything except the poison of course!
All the best.
Old 01-02-2018, 06:08 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Carol!!