Notices

Starting the New Year sober

Old 12-30-2017, 05:21 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Starting the New Year sober

I've been reading for weeks (years)but not posting for a couple of weeks. Started drinking again earlier this month. I'm embarrassed and disappointed in myself again. Again. Again. I need to post here though to stay accountable which helps so much.

Nothing bad happened but as someone on another thread said it doesn't need to. I am at least 2 stone overweight, have high cholesterol, look old, face flushed and bloated. Every night I wake up feeling ill and have a restless night then feel terrible in the morning. My anxiety and crazy thoughts are rampant too and it's all induced from drinking.

So I was going to start on 1 Jan but I am starting today. It's only a date isn't it. My husband is supportive so we will have a quiet New year at home, no booze for me. Water and something nice to eat.

I am going to get fit lose weight, eat better and start to feel and look better. none of which I can do if I keep drinking. So I've been on the cross trainer for 30 mins today and am going to eat healthily. I know I'll feel pretty rough for the next few days but it will be worth it.

I scare myself worrying about future holidays, weekends away etc, events but no more. I'm just taking it a day at a time. for now at least till I feel stronger. I won't drink today.

Hope everyone is doing ok and getting through this holiday period which can be so difficult. Happy new Year.
Old 12-30-2017, 05:28 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Please join the December class and then stay with us through 2018?

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...pt-2-a-19.html
  # 3 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Originally Posted by ReadyAtLast View Post
So I was going to start on 1 Jan but I am starting today. It's only a date isn't it.
I love it!!! Who needs a New Year when you can have a New Life?

# 4 (permalink)  
The road goes on forever

Excellent!
Starting today is awesome..
You will start feeling and looking better soon.
Old 12-30-2017, 05:36 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Mr

Happy new year to you too.
Great decision to make.
I'm in too
Old 12-30-2017, 05:43 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Good positive thoughts
As I said in my previous thread earlier today I recently made eleven days and the difference was huge.
I am back on the journey again today.
I AM IN 👏
Old 12-30-2017, 06:01 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Ready at Last, Your post could be me! Overweight, puffy, bad sleep, wanting to improve my health, scared of the future etc....

Good you have started already! Glad your hubby is being supportive! It makes a difference when others around you help you out by also going sober! I have joined the Dec class but I want to join Jan too! See you there??

Hope the exercise and healthy eating goes well!
Old 12-30-2017, 06:10 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi Northernlass, thanks for your message. I'm in the Dec class and going to join Jan too. Will see you there
Old 12-30-2017, 02:38 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back RAL

D
Old 12-30-2017, 02:42 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee. Thanks for always being very kind and supportive no matter how many times we are on day 1.
Old 12-30-2017, 02:45 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome back 😊

Good luck !
Old 12-30-2017, 02:47 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Excellent, Ready! No time like the present to begin. Wishing you a lovely sober new year!
Old 12-30-2017, 02:51 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thank you Happy New Year to you too. A sober peaceful one for us all I hope,
Old 12-30-2017, 09:07 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

if it’s any motivation to you, i lost one stone over the course of 4 months, and the only change i made in lifestyle was quitting binge-drinking. it was a great motivator to abstain from alcohol except maybe like a few socially a month. but starting two days ago i also decided to go conpletely and totally sober because i can’t handle the day-after depression and anxiety! looking forward to the new year and feeling better. i believe in you! spend your time doing things you love and you won’t even miss the comfort of alcohol too much... and the weight loss is the best!
Old 12-30-2017, 09:11 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR sobersolita

D
Old 12-30-2017, 10:30 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Hi, Readyatlast!

No need to feel embarrassed or disappointed.

Stick to us.

You are so right about making changes right now, not waiting for New Year.

We can make our own dates, milestones and reason to celebrate.

I am with you on not using New Year as an excuse to postpone what needs to be done. My new boxing trainer bugs me about 4 kilos I have to lose, so I got tough on my nutrition 2 days ago. If you need support with healthy eating and workouts, I am here)

One day at a time. Don't look back.
Old 12-30-2017, 10:38 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Welcome Soberlita.

RAL - I'm also on a strict diet and exercise campaign. Watching the scales too closely can be a bad thing though. Measuring your waist (especially if you start resistance training and add a little bit of muscle) is a far better acid test! I'm also here if you require some tips on fitness and dieting.
Old 12-31-2017, 01:43 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hello MB Great to hear from you. How are you? Hope all is good for and with you.

Thanks Tony. I do have a good couple of stone to lose and much of it is on my waist. Although I don't measure as prefer to see how my clothes are fitting. I do weigh myself regularly though and have signed up to that nutracheck so will be watching what I eat. I've used it before quite successfully. I do overeat so know i have to cut down and eat healthily in conjunction with exercise.

I'm doing 30 mins cross trainer each day and then some sit ups stretches too. What else would help my core do you think?
Old 12-31-2017, 03:15 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
RAT - A couple of tips to help with midsection.

- Nutrition, nutrition, nutrition. It's 85%-90% of success. Cut added sugar and processed foods as much as possible. Stick to some reasonable nutrition plan which you can maintain for a long time.
- Meditation or other tools to reduce stress. How comes? Cortisol (stress hormone) holds water around midsection, if it put is simply.
- Try different abs exercises - plank, etc. It takes some experimenting to activate different part of abdominal muscle and make it work.

Stay strong)
Old 12-31-2017, 03:51 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Good for you RAL. There are a few of us starting a Sober New Year after replapsing. I'll look forward to going forward with you into the new year and being healthy, slim and happy! Gabe x