Notices

Anoxic Brain Injury from Opiate Overdose

Old 12-29-2017, 08:47 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Anoxic Brain Injury from Opiate Overdose

Hello I am new to this but I need to find some answers if possible. Before I joined this site I was reading a few post from people talking about their loved ones suffering brain damage after overdosing on opiates. Yesterday, December 28th 2017, I found my daughter lying face down on her bedroom floor unconscious. I ran to her and turned her over but I could tell immediately that she wasn't breathing! I screamed for her dad and together we started CPR and managed to get the ambulance to our home. Well she has been in a coma since she got to the hospital about 32 hours now. I have spent most of that time ,when I'm not at the hospital, reading anything I can find on the internet about Anoxic Brain Injury. I think what I really need to do is chat with anyone who knows first hand about this. If you read this and have gone through something like this would you please reply back. I am absolutely heart broken and have know clue what the future holds for my daughter and my family as well. As far as we can piece together everything we think she was not breathing for close to 5 or 10 minutes which sounds pretty bad to me but I don't have a clue. Please any information would help me right now I would really appreciate it.
Old 12-29-2017, 08:55 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm so sorry to hear this ... I will pray for you daughter xxx big hugs xx try not to google to much.
Old 12-29-2017, 09:08 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Daisy - I'm sorry for what you're dealing with,

I've had several brain injuries - one at birth, several accidents and then mini strokes at my last detox - tho none through opiates and none where I was put in a coma.

I'm obviously not a Dr but I am testament to the fact that the human spirit is a pretty amazing thing, and that the brain can, in some cases, be very resilient.

Many prayers for you your family and your daughter.

This is a place of great support - I'm glad you found us

D
Old 12-29-2017, 10:11 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Daisy I am so sorry for the pain you are feeling right now.
Do you have good support face to face?
I would be terribly afraid to be googling something like this too much, myself. But then I can't even imagine what you are feeling at this moment.
Do stay for support and I hope you can rally enough support around you as possible in this time.
I am sending strength your way, hope and healing for your little girl
Lots of love and prayers!
Old 12-29-2017, 10:40 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you so much for all the encouragement, kind words and prayers, I am grateful for this site and I truly just somehow stumbled on to it.
Old 12-29-2017, 10:57 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Daisy,

I am so sorry to hear this. Prayers for your daughter and family.

I have a friend that had a shallow water blackout, it took us almost ten minutes to find him and get him to the surface. He was in a coma for 12 days and has some brain damage due to hypoxia. He has some deficiencies with thinking, speech and lost the ability to smell. He might have some other deficiencies that I am not aware of but he lives a normal life. The brain is very resilient and adaptable. I pray your daughter has a full recovery.