Notices

Airport Bars

Old 12-29-2017, 11:30 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Airport Bars

Urgh..
This will be the first time I知 flying internationally without hitting up the airport bar. For me (in the past) that was something I looked forward to - having drinks before a flight. I知 165 days sober today and have been doing really well. I haven稚 had a craving in awhile, but now it痴 really nagging on me. I知 posting here instead of giving in to the AV. God, this sucks.
Old 12-29-2017, 11:32 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad that you posted and good for you for getting through this.
Old 12-29-2017, 11:33 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

The AV sucks, but 165 days sober is fantastic!!! Play the tape forward and maybe get food or a latte, safe travels
Old 12-29-2017, 11:37 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Brains are lazy. Yours is trained to go to airport bars, so that's what it is defaulting to. You're making it consider other possibilities. It would rather be lazy and use the default setting, so it rebels with fear and anxiety. This will continue until you teach it how to be in airports without going to the bar.

Class is in session.

You got this.
Old 12-29-2017, 11:48 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Well done on 165 days!!
Definitely not worth losing that.....
Old 12-29-2017, 11:55 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Good for you for posting instead of drinking.
Old 12-29-2017, 12:03 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

A few months back I was on business trip for the 1st time since sober. Luckily I flew there super early and just wanted to get on the plane and sleep more. While there was a bit of a struggle,but I just hit the hotel gym and found a meeting. The flight home was the hardest part for me! It wasn't so much the bar, I skipped that and went to the smoking lounge. There was an obnoxiously drunk guy that came in. His flight had been delayed several times(9hr delay) and I would hate to see what his bar tab was! Anyways..I crashed out on the plane and woke up thinking "we've got to be close?"...Nope! I had only been asleep for 15min..another 5hrs with the passing booze cart!! I must of looked at the 'menu' 100 times! That was my 1st 'white knuckle' moment that I can recall. Literal hell! But...I got through it minute by minute and the prices helped a lot,although I'd be 'reimbursed',but I own the company,sooooo.
Old 12-29-2017, 12:27 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

You’ll be stunned at much better you’ll feel not drinking on a long flight. I used to drag myself through those business trips, never really get over the jetlag, and be wiped out for days after getting home.

Just got back from a coast to coast trip in four days and barely noticed, physically. (It was a grueling trip emotionally but even that was easier.)

Try it.

Besides, airport bars are pretty sad places, in general.

You can do this.
Old 12-29-2017, 12:38 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ariesagain View Post
Besides, airport bars are pretty sad places, in general.
They can also be kinda fun when you're not drinking. Listening to "how important" everyone is to their company,ect.. I once sat at a table,eating, within earshot of the bar and these three 20'something guys in their suits( I travel in sweats and a t shirt myself) talking up their positions with Budweiser. I noticed the overuse of the word 'literally',so I counted.. I was there for maybe 30min and literally counted,the use of "literally" 117 times,literally,117times!!!
Old 12-29-2017, 12:39 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks, everyone. I知 literally in tears over this and have no idea why. I致e been really okay and have even been on vacation (a Mexican resort in October) and was fine. This is really messing with my head. I need to keep posting in here.
Old 12-29-2017, 12:40 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

You can do it. Listen to music, or snag a cool book, or just people watch.
Old 12-29-2017, 12:40 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I知 really hoping the security line is long - sitting and waiting will be the worst. My flight is at 8pm and I知 set to arrive at the airport by 5.
Old 12-29-2017, 12:42 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Just post here instead of hitting the bar. Try out a massage chair for 30 minutes..there's gyms in a lot of airports now..shop..anything but drink.
Old 12-29-2017, 12:43 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I had a lot of urges in airports! I "ate" them away with expensive crap snacks at the gift shops. Who wants to drink after gorging on chocolate bars? After the ice cream/chocolate obsession of early sobriety I dropped weight without trying thankfully.

Now I can just walk on by those loud bars with no problems and feel so much better during and after the flight!
Old 12-29-2017, 12:46 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Flinders39 View Post
I’m really hoping the security line is long - sitting and waiting will be the worst. My flight is at 8pm and I知 set to arrive at the airport by 5.
I don't do the 3hr 'rule' for international anymore. I did when drinking,because it gave me an hour at the bar. I now do 2hr. If I miss my flight..oh well. I also only do an hour-hour and a half for domestic flights. Once I stopped drinking, I realized I would get to the airport early with the sole intent of drinking before boarding.
Old 12-29-2017, 12:54 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DontRemember View Post
I don't do the 3hr 'rule' for international anymore. I did when drinking,because it gave me an hour at the bar. I now do 2hr. If I miss my flight..oh well. I also only do an hour-hour and a half for domestic flights. Once I stopped drinking, I realized I would get to the airport early with the sole intent of drinking before boarding.
That used to be me.
Old 12-29-2017, 01:03 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Abstinence Apprentice

I used to fly extensively when my career was soaring and I usually ended up hitting the airport bars regularly, except of course, when I made my red-eye flights early in the morning.

I was drinking then, as that was before acknowledging my addiction to alcohol, so didn't really view it as a problem. I do know that airports offer other inviting places besides bars to hang out in, like bookstores, food courts, Starbucks, even McDonald's at some airports. One thing, they're all expensive, too much so IMO.

Wishing strength on your journey!
Old 12-29-2017, 02:00 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

You can definitely do this - you've stared down every other challenge in your recovery so far

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...-cravings.html (CarolD's tips for cravings)

D

D
Old 12-29-2017, 03:55 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Thanks, Dee. I知 reading through the link - very helpful considering my flight to London is delayed by 1.5 hrs. :-/
Old 12-29-2017, 04:34 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Location: Probably my living room. Maybe my bedroom if I'm feeling lazy
I travel a lot for work so that means a lot of time spent in airports waiting on delays, layovers, etc.

A couple of tips that work for me:

1. First thing I do when I get through security (I have pre-check in the U.S. so it only takes 5-10 minutes) is go to a news stand and buy a soda or sparkling water and a candy bar. That way I have something to sip on and/or eat so I have no reason to wander into a bar or restaurant that serves alcohol.

2. I load up my iPad or phone with movies/TV shows before every trip so I have no reason to get bored when I'm waiting or in-flight.

3. If my flight is delayed or I have a long layover, I find an empty gate that isn't boarding. I find the quiet solitude more relaxing than watching other stressed passengers waiting to board their flights.

4. In early sobriety (first year), I read a lot of SR in airports. I texted my friends and sponsor in AA for accountability.

5. I stay out of airport lounges where there is free access to alcohol.

After nearly 5 years of sobriety, traveling definitely gets easier. It helps to develop a routine that works for you. I've been in crazy situations and managed to stay sober. One time, we boarded a plane that ended up being delayed 4 hours on the tarmac, so they handed out free liquor bottles to every adult that wanted one. I was in a middle seat and my seat mates were drinking vodka at 11am, asking me why I wasn't drinking with them. I just joked that it was past my bedtime. Everyone had a laugh and no one bothered me again.

But I've also seen the consequences of alcohol at the airport with others. Just a couple of weeks ago, our plane had to turn around because there was an unruly, drunk passenger on-board - at 9am. I've seen people denied boarding because they were too drunk. Last week, there was this obnoxious woman in first class (I get upgraded regularly because of status) who just embarrassed herself the whole flight and drove the flight attendants crazy. You don't have to be that person. Breathe, smile and have a great flight!