Notices

New year celebrations stark reminder

Old 12-28-2017, 11:56 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New year celebrations stark reminder

Christmas is over and I hope anyone struggling got through it OK .

New year celebrations are almost upon us and where I come from its party time( Hogmanay =new years eve) although the format has changed over the last 40 years the end result hasn,t .

I need to remind myself if I am with 9 normal drinkers and all of us get drunk the other 9 would be hung over somewhat , a sore head a bit nauseous but by 5pm would be fine and having dinner but NOT ME .
By 5pm I would have had half a dozen drinks of some sort and be on the way to party number 2 and repeat this until my body and mind cant go on then I go through the hellish withdrawals of shaking , vomiting , sweating , craving , terrified , cant eat cant drink water even .
The other 9 party goers and all fine and I am almost destroyed sitting or lying in bed a total mess .

For the above reason I miss parties at all costs ,just in case ,just in case . I have 5 months sober and I do trust myself but maybe not quite enough as I should , not quite yet .
Old 12-29-2017, 12:33 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Mr

Well done on 5 months. That surely proves something right ?

"I have 5 months sober and I do trust myself but maybe not quite enough as I should , not quite yet "

Have you planned new years eve, an exit plan, what will you do when the AV pops up its sneaky head ?

TBH is it all that bad to miss the party if you have a doubt ?
I think protecting yourself and thus your sobriety probably has to be the most important thing in our worlds, no bargaining with it.

I am just bouncing back after relapsing after several months sober.
Its true we never get cured. You can NEVER take your foot off the gas,
Its every day right ?

Take care. DOnt worry
Wishing all the best for 2018.
Old 12-29-2017, 01:01 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
lillyknitting

Originally Posted by hpdw View Post
Christmas is over and I hope anyone struggling got through it OK .

New year celebrations are almost upon us and where I come from its party time( Hogmanay =new years eve) although the format has changed over the last 40 years the end result hasn,t .

I need to remind myself if I am with 9 normal drinkers and all of us get drunk the other 9 would be hung over somewhat , a sore head a bit nauseous but by 5pm would be fine and having dinner but NOT ME .
By 5pm I would have had half a dozen drinks of some sort and be on the way to party number 2 and repeat this until my body and mind cant go on then I go through the hellish withdrawals of shaking , vomiting , sweating , craving , terrified , cant eat cant drink water even .
The other 9 party goers and all fine and I am almost destroyed sitting or lying in bed a total mess .

For the above reason I miss parties at all costs ,just in case ,just in case . I have 5 months sober and I do trust myself but maybe not quite enough as I should , not quite yet .
I hear you loud and clear. Xx
Old 12-29-2017, 01:16 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I agree hpdw, the danger is in letting your guard down and thinking that you have the issue beaten. Good luck with the Hogmanay party. I never really did Hogmanay in any special way apart from another excuse to get drunk.
Old 12-29-2017, 01:42 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm going to assume you come from Edinburgh? How I know the parties of Hogmannay, I worked a number of these nights as a manager of a central backpackers so I did manage to escape most of these parties and watch others get wasted, but it certainly is a crazy party time, one that I wouldnt wanna to tackle sober or even risk it..
If you are unsure then stay home and don't tempt yourself.. at the end of the day, it's only one year that you miss going to the party while you gather strength and sober time..
Old 12-29-2017, 02:10 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm glad you are thinking ahead. Having an exit plan is an excellent idea.
Old 12-29-2017, 02:16 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

To those who want to seek refuge from such celebrations on New Years Eve and home isnt a safe place or you want to get out, dont forget that AA will see plenty of sober NYE gatherings happening and theres still time to find out where these will be happening in your area. Even if you're not an AA regular, anyone whose aim is sobriety will be welcomed whole heartedly.

BB
Old 12-29-2017, 03:39 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks all , Just to clarify I have no party plans at all . I was referring to how it has been in the past and potentially could happen should I participate with a group but I am staying at home with my wife and delighted to do so . I do not feel deprived in the slightest ,on the contrary I will be very very happy to be sober and fresh .

Happy 2018
Old 12-31-2017, 01:02 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
lillyknitting

New Year’s Eve and parties

Hi everyone, just to say on this New Years, I’m not going out at all. I have absolutely no desire to do the usual, get trashed, then spend New Year’s Day with the hangover from hell, wash, rinse, repeat.

They say if you keep doing the same thing then expect the same results.

Instead me and my daughter will get a takeaway, watch it all on telly and we are going out the next day, New Year’s Day, into town for some lunch and a spot of shopping. Something nice to do and look forward to. Happy New Year everyone, peace on Earth xx